Car covered in tiny white spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beetnik

Car
Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
Washed my car today and the paintwork and glass are covered in tiny white spots, sitting on the surface. They don't wash or polish off and feel a bit rubbery.

I was parked next to a building site in the week so that's my first port of call tomorrow - I'm guessing it's blown over the car from some process they've been using. If so I'm hoping they cough up but otherwise it looks like it might be an expensive week ahead.:(

I'm guessing they will and there's no permanent damage but maybe half a day's job (?) and I'd rather those responsible pick up the bill!

Would a clay bar be more useful. T cut is extremely abrasive and even though I am not a "detailer" I'd never put the stuff near my car.

Try giving the car a once over with a clay bar, kits available at Halfords and many other places.

I had a car covered in them... the chips away guy charged me £40 and he had them all gone in an hour.

Sounds like overspray - possibly masonary paint thats been applied by a roller or spray to external walls.

were you parked downwind?

If water based (or acrylic) - methalated spirits will soften then wash off - but test first to see that the meths dosnt damage the car finish

not sure about oil based paint spots.

1 bar for the paint and 1 for the glass!
This came up at the GTG whether clay bars are suitable for glass. So long as its non abrasive it should be, but would a solvent be more suitable?

Meths should be fine.

I get little yellow spots all over my paintwork, wont wash off, dont come off with polish. But a little dab with meths and gone!

Meths should be fine.

I get little yellow spots all over my paintwork, wont wash off, dont come off with polish. But a little dab with meths and gone!

Of Topic - for information to all - meths is great for emulsion spots when decorating internally- lightswitches, watch faces etc

do not wipe off when wet - Leave to harden then dry scrape with fingernail or a plastic spatula.

most building sites use acid wash to clean brickwork they do this with a jet wash so its a possable its much the same as the acid in wonder wheels or patio cleaner

most building sites use acid wash to clean brickwork they do this with a jet wash so its a possable its much the same as the acid in wonder wheels or patio cleaner

Can only hope its not acid - differant problem/issue completly me thinks

This came up at the GTG whether clay bars are suitable for glass. QUOTE]

I'd tried a clay bar on a neighbours windscreen that was heavily contaminated. Used Mr Muscle glass cleaner as a lubricant instead of detailer and it worked really well. Followed up with glass polish. Only downside was it made clay rather sticky on fingers so recommend Marigolds. :)

Turns out it's intumescent (= fire retarding) paint and there were a few others behind me in the queue this morning. Constructors have 'fessed up and will pay whatever it takes so appointment to be made at the body shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom