Car Covers??? Debate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris clk320

Car
CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
Hi All,

I have no doubt this is going to be controversial.

I have always been against them as felt cars/paint may not be able to dry out as quick as if they are left uncovered? but that may be an outdated view now as i'm sure covers have come along way.
My poor w124 really doesn't like being left out, garage space is all taken up, with cars that rust quicker! or are more steal able.

So i was wondering whether a car cover is a good idea for the coming winter?

And any recommendations if the consensus its a good thing!

It really depends on what it needs protecting from. I cover ours for up to 8 weeks at a time with a Covercraft Noah. Its parked in a gated car park surrounded by lime trees and the cover does a great job of keeping the tree sap and bird mess off the paint. If left in the Tuscan sun the sap hardens and is a nightmare to clean off. It is not waterproof but is breathable. There has been no paint damage from the cover in the 10 years I have been doing this. Its quite bulky so not really suitable for everyday use.

there are some that keep the rain out and breath, problem with the UK climate is that the damp can rise up so I'm not sure if it helps. Where is the car parked? If on the street, forget it as road grime will be kicked up onto it. Rain doesn't really cause rust, salt does. This is why cars rust from the bottom up vs top down.

A custom-fit breathable cover from a reputable supplier will be fine. It's important that it fits the car exactly or it will move around when the wind blows and mark the paintwork. You want the car as clean as possible before putting the cover on, and you need to be careful to keep the inside of the cover clean when it's off the car.

I used a Covercraft Noah on my SL for a couple of years, before I had a garage to keep it in.

Covercraft Custom Fit Car Covers - Covercraft Europe

I use a carcoon.

I have an outdoor one and used it for my c124 300ce for a year. Now has the Aston Martin in there.

mines a carcoon evo which is the outdoor one. Double skinned and has two fans, blows up around the car and makes for a totally sealed unit with airflow and car battery chargers.

I’ve got a spare size 5 one if you’re interested

Used an out door cover on my W124 260E for the last 4 years the name of the cover is a Monsoon i think made by Covercraft its fully water proof . This way i have no water getting on my cars bodywork .These are for winter use only,, and not for summer use . These are made to fit our cars with pockets for the wing mirrors ,and this way the cover is not lifted up as the mirrors stick out. DSC04074.JPG Also 3 straps to hold the cover on along with 4 pockets in the roof to let ait circulate . I do use extra protection on the paintwork before the cover goes on i use bed sheets then tie them to the door handles to hold them on .Never had any problems with damp even in the middle of the frosty days ,i take a look under the cover now and then.
Best to pick up a length of rubber bungee rope and make three up to go over the car .Not to tight or it will rub the paint as the cover moves, use that to hold the cover firm in the winds we get as normal with a lenght of polly pipe sliped on the bungge ropes before fitting them .

mmm thanks for all of your replies, i would love a carcoon but i think my budget wont stretch but thanks for the offer.

Yes tree sap is also a concern the car is parked on my mums drive, and there is a lime tree that i am sure rains sap.

All good suggestions, so the consensus seems yes good idea but for winter only ie a few months

I used the cover all year round at my old house (unless the car was dirty and in need of a wash). Didn't cause any problems - I still have the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom