Car Crime Hotspots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Car crime hotspots pinpointed

If your postcode begins with BR7 then you might want to double check you've locked your car and taken all your valuables out, as it's just been named and shamed as the worst car crime locale in the UK. The postcode, in Chislehurst, south-east London, tops a list of 20 places complied by Moneysupermarket.com after analysing 3.8 million insurance quotations.
The figures are based on the number of people who'd made claims on their insurance over the last year: almost four in every 100 people in Chislehurst said they'd claimed after their car was stolen. The UK average is just over one in 100 (1.17 percent).
Second on the list is TS28, in Wingate, Durham, but five of the top twenty are London postcodes. Fifth on the list is the M3 postcode - Manchester city centre. Still, the spread of places in the top twenty is wide ranging geographically, and Home Office stats reveal that car crime accounts for 13 percent of all recorded crime. See below for the full top twenty hotspots:

BR7: Chislehurst, south-east London
TS28: Wingate, Durham
IG4: Redbridge, east London
DN7: Hatfield, Doncaster
M3: Manchester city centre
BS29: Banwell, Somerset
BD1: Bradford city centre
S2: Arbourthorne, Sheffield
NP24: New Tredegar, Newport, south Wales
RM7: Romford centre, east London
IG9: Buckhurst Hill, Essex
IG8: Woodford Green, north London
M4: Ancoats, Manchester
CF34: Cathays, Cardiff
S13: Handsworth, Sheffield
LS15: Barwick In Elmet & Cross Gates, Leeds
NR23: Wells-Next-The-Sea, Norfolk
DN8: Thorne, Doncaster
RM11: Hornchurch, Essex
RM13: Rainham, east London

I totally agree with the ones highlighted in red anything less than 60 mph and they'll have your wheels, bit worrying 6 of the top 20 are in Yorkshire :eek:

Car crime hotspots pinpointed

If your postcode begins with BR7 then you might want to double check you've locked your car and taken all your valuables out, as it's just been named and shamed as the worst car crime locale in the UK. The postcode, in Chislehurst, south-east London, tops a list of 20 places complied by Moneysupermarket.com after analysing 3.8 million insurance quotations.
The figures are based on the number of people who'd made claims on their insurance over the last year: almost four in every 100 people in Chislehurst said they'd claimed after their car was stolen. The UK average is just over one in 100 (1.17 percent).
Second on the list is TS28, in Wingate, Durham, but five of the top twenty are London postcodes. Fifth on the list is the M3 postcode - Manchester city centre. Still, the spread of places in the top twenty is wide ranging geographically, and Home Office stats reveal that car crime accounts for 13 percent of all recorded crime. See below for the full top twenty hotspots:

BR7: Chislehurst, south-east London
TS28: Wingate, Durham
IG4: Redbridge, east London
DN7: Hatfield, Doncaster
M3: Manchester city centre
BS29: Banwell, Somerset
BD1: Bradford city centre
S2: Arbourthorne, Sheffield
NP24: New Tredegar, Newport, south Wales
RM7: Romford centre, east London
IG9: Buckhurst Hill, Essex
IG8: Woodford Green, north London
M4: Ancoats, Manchester
CF34: Cathays, Cardiff
S13: Handsworth, Sheffield
LS15: Barwick In Elmet & Cross Gates, Leeds
NR23: Wells-Next-The-Sea, Norfolk
DN8: Thorne, Doncaster
RM11: Hornchurch, Essex
RM13: Rainham, east London

I totally agree with the ones highlighted in red anything less than 60 mph and they'll have your wheels, bit worrying 6 of the top 20 are in Yorkshire :eek:

Glad to see Buckinghamshire is not on that list either! :D

There'll be disappoinment in Liverpool - the hubcap team didn't even make the top 20. How the mighty fall...

i see 6 are also in eastlondon\essex as well.

I used to live next to hatfield in Doncaster, and went to school there - I agree with that! I'm surprised thorne isn't higher though ;)

Last edited:
I used to live next to hatfield in Doncaster, and go to school there - I agree with that! I'm surprised thorne isn't higher though ;)

I used to work at Hatfield and the number of things that went missing was unbelieveable. I agree about Thorne though out of the 2 its definitely the worst :rolleyes:

Hatfield always looked presentable at least, I grew up in Dunscroft right next to it - that was much more downhill in the looks dept! I'm guessing all the scroats from there go up to Hatfield to do thier dirty work ;)

Hatfield surprised me at first. Then I checked. DN7 includes Stainforth and Dunscroft. No longer surprised!

Banwell does surprise me. Quiet little Somerset village.

Hmmm my postcode is BR5 and I must be less than 3 miles from Chislehurst as the crow flies. I've always been a bit too careful with leaving my cars anywhere or leaving anything in them, but it doesn't stop the little scrotes from breaking in for a look.

What these articles don't tell us is what was stolen from these cars, and whether it was due to people leaving portable sat nav boxes or fittings on display.

Ian.

Sheffield Mentioned twice......bloody manner (nuke it).....however anyone in the area noticed that they are re-opening the police station. Lets hope things change. In the mean time that tracker choice I had to make has just been made.......

I live in postcode area BR6, hence adjacent to BR7.
BR7 is a rather strange case in point.
It encompasses two very opposing styles of housing. On one hand there is a large fairly run-down council estate and on the other there are many roads consisting of multi-million detached homes in conservation area luxury.
I suspect its because of the closeness of these two very different factions which might contribute to these statistics.

hmmmm NP24: New Tredegar, Newport, south Wales

Not sure how they class this as Newport. It is about 20 miles away up the valleys to New Tredegar from Newport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom