Car cutting over bumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Mercedes W124 E280
Hello all. So the next gremlin in my car has reared its ugly head and that's that it cuts out when driving. The engine cuts when usually going over a bump. It usually is when the front of the car goes over a bump that makes the engine bay rise up and drop quickly, so not when hitting a bump in the road or a drain etc.., usually when going relatively slowly over a small speed bump. It can happen randomly at any speed so clearly its a short of sorts(the worst possible issue).

Some context: When it cuts lets say you are going 50 miles per hour, the engine revs will remain up(by motion) but when you depress the accelerator it has nothing but you can hear a backfire or two so it feels as if it's getting spark and the jets are firing but there's zero fuel left so what I can logically deduce is the fuel pump is being cut off. It has had a pesky aftermarket alarm added and I managed to recently find the splice by the fuel relay where it was taken into the cars interior and back out. THis was obviously the alarm cutting fuel as its feature. I have removed this now and reconnected the original wires into the fuel relay and all works. However, it still cuts.

Its been doing this for a year on and off now but recently worse and now when this occurs it's actually battling to start afterwards, by means of extra cranks that's not usually the case. So hence the fuel starvation theory. And if its cuts when you try restart there's a little clunk from the rear(I assume fuel pump). I just replaced the fuel pump as I thought that's what it was, still no fix. I got the wrong fuel filter so still waiting for that, possibly a blocked one? But surely then it will constantly struggle.

I've swopped the OVP out for a cheapie part just to try and still same cut outs. The original merc one is back in again.

I don't know if anyone has suggestions, i was thinking of finding out how the fuel relay is wired and then i can trace all the wires there to ensure nothings bad along those lines. What about the ignition barrel? K38 relay?

Any help tips, otherwise shes got to go to the expensive mechanic :(

Well first thing I would do is check the alternator for loose cable and earths,but I admit it is a strange one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom