Car dead no respose to the key fob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Michaels

Car
2008 C-Class 180 SE Kompressor 1.8 Saloon
Hello
The key fob opens and closes the doors, but that is all that is happening. The ignition lights doesn't come on, and turning the key round full, does nothing at all. Rac checked battery and fuses which are okay.
Jump starting doesn't work. same result with the spare key. Now what to do? Could it be the ignition switch?A couple of days ago we parked up at the seafront and had engine off and radio on. Suddenly a car drove past high speed and the radio switched of. But pressing the button it came on again. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Many thanks

Pete

Last edited:
Sounds like your ESL (electronic steering lock) motor has failed. It's increasingly common on W204s of this age, mine failed last year. I opened it up and replaced the motor myself, but you may have to pay to have it done, especially if it's failed in the locked position.

The symptoms are the same. When you put the key in, normally there's a quick sound as the ESL disengages. Until that has happened, nothing else will respond on the car.

The radio going off is just the car protecting it's battery level, that's normal.

Sounds like your ESL (electronic steering lock) motor has failed. It's increasingly common on W204s of this age, mine failed last year. I opened it up and replaced the motor myself, but you may have to pay to have it done, especially if it's failed in the locked position.

The symptoms are the same. When you put the key in, normally there's a quick sound as the ESL disengages. Until that has happened, nothing else will respond on the car.

The radio going off is just the car protecting it's battery level, that's normal.
Many thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom