Car dealers & road tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splitpin

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E500, CL500
If you buy a secondhand car from a dealer & the road tax expired some months ago, who is liable for the unpaid tax :dk:

What unpaid tax? When you sell a car you can claim back any complete months of VED that you've already paid for. When you buy a car you pay for the tax before you drive off in it.

Last edited:
splitpin said:
If you buy a secondhand car from a dealer & the road tax expired some months ago, who is liable for the unpaid tax :dk:

There isn't any

There isn't any
This. - I think it's the yellow section of the v5 that they send off to say the car has entered the motor trade, and the road tax is only payable from when the sale/transfer of ownership takes place.

I suppose the logic is that if it's in the motor trade, it's not actually on the road for taxation purposes. :dk:

This. - I think it's the yellow section of the v5 that they send off to say the car has entered the motor trade, and the road tax is only payable from when the sale/transfer of ownership takes place.

I suppose the logic is that if it's in the motor trade, it's not actually on the road for taxation purposes. :dk:

That would appear to be logical but I can find no confirmation on the DVLA &
I have no wish to sit waiting on a 0870 number for ages :rolleyes:

So if the car has remained unsold for 12 months, the buyer has to pay for
2 years taX :dk:

No, I meant you are liable to pay the tax to drive it away. Obviously I didn't read your post correctly.. There is no "unpaid" tax.

Last edited:
By way of confirmation of that, a while ago I bought an old MX5 to scrap for some parts. It hadn't been taxed or SORN for about 2 years and had changed hands twice in that time. It didn't even come with the V5. I completed the appropriate form and sent my £20 fee off to DVLA, as soon as the new V5 came back, I SORNed it. No comeback as I had no liability until it became mine. I have no idea if DVLA pursued the previous owner though....

So if the car has remained unsold for 12 months, the buyer has to pay for
2 years taX :dk:

No no no no no. You start paying the day you buy it, which makes buying the car early in the month a money saver. The tax starts on the 1st of the month you tax it in. So you lose 4 weeks money if you tax it on the 28th:D

No no no no no. You start paying the day you buy it, which makes buying the car early in the month a money saver. The tax starts on the 1st of the month you tax it in. So you lose 4 weeks money if you tax it on the 28th:D

Thank you, that is what I assumed but was unsure under current law.

As above.

The tax 'lives and dies' with the car ownership... each new owner needs to tax the car anew on the purchase date and before driving off the forecourt.

The tax is not 'transferable' from one owner to the other.

And no tax is due for the period the car was with the trader.

So there are limits then?

I thought that there was no limit, no no no no no.

So there are limits then?

I thought that there was no limit, no no no no no.

It isn't 1993 anymore, y'know....? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom