Car dented by a Petrol Pump!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Pulled up into the Petrol station today and the pump was on the other side of the filler cap, no problem as they will always stretch over the car.

I open the cap and walk over to the pump, unhook it and walk around the back of my car, only to feel a pull and hear a bang! The Diesel pump had flown off the pump and smacked into my rear quarter leaving a 8cm small dent about 2mm deep :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

As far as I can tell the pipes must have been tangled and pulled off. Gutted! :(

Pulled up into the Petrol station today and the pump was on the other side of the filler cap, no problem as they will always stretch over the car.

I open the cap and walk over to the pump, unhook it and walk around the back of my car, only to feel a pull and hear a bang! The Diesel pump had flown off the pump and smacked into my rear quarter leaving a 8cm small dent about 2mm deep :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

As far as I can tell the pipes must have been tangled and pulled off. Gutted! :(

Did you take pictures and give an estimate for the damage to be repaired to the garage owner?

Yeah, cant really blame the garage to be honest, I guess I should have looked before hand... Warning to everyone methinks! :(

That's why smelly Diesel cars should fuel up round the back beside the trucks , leaving a nice , clean forecourt for we petrol drivers :D:D:D:devil:

That's why smelly Diesel cars should fuel up round the back beside the trucks , leaving a nice , clean forecourt for we petrol drivers :D:D:D:devil:

Fine by me provided it retains the high flow pumps. 17 gallons takes bloody ages!

thats a shame Karl, when i go the the super unleaded, the pipes are always tangled as its the least used pump!

hopefully a dent master job only and no painting needed

Surely it doesn't matter that it's down to other customers actions. The company still has a duty of care and a liability, what if that pump had come off and seriously hurt someone? I would speak politely to them about the issue and see what they say.

ah what a shame karl i saw the post and said no please no not your car

always the same just get her sorted and this happens as said above maybe dent doctor could help

i know you might not want to but show a picture and maybe people could guess how much it will cost
do you think it will be a panel re-spray or would dent doctor be able to help

once again sorry to hear the news

its such a clean and nice w202

Sorry to hear that Karl.

Surely it doesn't matter that it's down to other customers actions. The company still has a duty of care and a liability, what if that pump had come off and seriously hurt someone? I would speak politely to them about the issue and see what they say.

Blimey! Something isn't always somebody's fault. No wonder liability insurance is so high nowadays. There is always someone looking for somebody else to blame when s**t happens.

Come on Beastlee... the OP had an unfortunate accident, its no ones fault apart from maybe his own as he must have tugged at the pipe for the other nozzle to come flying off with enough force to leave a dent.

Its just one of those things...

Seems fair, after all you petrol drivers visit the pumps at least twice as much as us diesel drivers. :thumb:

Also, the only smelly cars I sit behind these days are all petrol? Stink of rotten eggs every time they floor it. :confused:

Russ

Actually I am extremely anti this blame and claim society we live in. I was merely offering an argument to NW_Merc's response that it would be other customers' fault. If you read my entire post I did say that they could have politley spoken to the garage owner regarding the matter. I did not say 'Go and sue them for all they've got!'.
I note that nothing was mentioned about the original comment made by Jepho but you seem to feel it's OK to have a go at the new guy. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Unfortunately, this phrase seems to give clear intention

"The company still has a duty of care and a liability, what if that pump had come off and seriously hurt someone?"

Duty of care and liability are the words that get thrown about at litigation time.

As an aside, pumps with the retracting hose avoid the tangling issue.

Last edited:
Actually I am extremely anti this blame and claim society we live in. I was merely offering an argument to NW_Merc's response that it would be other customers' fault. If you read my entire post I did say that they could have politley spoken to the garage owner regarding the matter. I did not say 'Go and sue them for all they've got!'.
I note that nothing was mentioned about the original comment made by Jepho but you seem to feel it's OK to have a go at the new guy. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Beastlee, first of all, welcome.

I am afraid it was the rather explicit nature of your post that made me respond, as mentioned by DolphinTech.

However, I don't want to give the forum a bad image, so please accept my apologies for being so chippy with a newcomer. I hope you will stick around :)

The person to blame was the previous customer IMO, they had somehow managed to tangle the two :(
That said I should have noticed, but how many of us look as we take them off! oh well...

Lesson learnt :doh:

As an aside, pumps with the retracting hose avoid the tangling issue.

These had the retracting hose, when I tried to pull it over the car is when the diesel one flew and knocked my car :(

Just managed to T-Cut all of the black plastic from the Diesel pump off, lucky no paint was damaged! :bannana:

Before:
IMG_20110815_171753.jpg

After:
IMG_20110815_172201.jpg

Not as bad as the pictures make out, its only actually 2" long. I tried to feel for it inside the boot, but there is another piece of chassis between that and the inside of the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom