Car Diagnositics - too much oil - reduce oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dakoo

I just acquired a 2003 E220 CDI with 134k miles. Changed oil and filter, one week ago. Used 6.5 liters of Mobile 1 oil. However when the car is doing 60mph and after few miles, get a message on the dash, "too much oil - reduce oil" in white background. However this goes into red back ground at 70mph. I removed one liter of oil at the week-end via the dipstic (marked Mercedes workshop only) but still getting the same message. The book indicates 6.5 liters capacity. Now have 5.5 liters, thinking of removing a further one litre but worried that by removing oil further, the engine will be damaged. The oil level according to the management system is OK at present level but have no faith in the automated system.

Has any one come across this problem or any ideas for a fix will be appreciated.

It could be a faulty oil pressure sensor.

Are you sure you took engine oil out of the oil dipstick, or did you take gearbox fluid out of the other.
This may sound stupid, but I've seen it done before.:eek:

I took the oil out using a hand pump from the dipstick well that is behind the dash i.e. driver side, offside, one that does not have a dipstick but only a top with a red tag that needs to be removed prior to gaining access. I believe the gear dipstick is nearside.

ERR. The red removalable tag dipstick is the gearbox oil one. Located on the drivers side.

The engine one you will find under the engine covers. Possibly with a red cap.

I am fairly sure Grav888 has it right, I seem to remember the engine oil dipstick tube is on the nearside under the black engine cover and the gearbox is on the offside very close to the bulkhead. The gearbox one has a sort of flattened elipse shaped top with an anti tamper seal, if you follow the bottom of the tubes it will be fairly apparent which is which.

Harley Man

Oh Bu***r! There is always one!

Ok I have saved the oil in a clean bottle, so will put it back in where it came from.

I will get the oil from the other side and see how it goes. But will trace the dipstick well first!

Thanks all.

Make sure the "oil" aka gearbox fluid, you put back is absolutely free of debris of any kind. Filter it if in any doubt. If you overfill with engine oil the crankshaft can agitate the surface forming an emulsion of oil and air reducing its lubricating properties. Hence the warning light at higher revs.

At that mileage I'd be looking to do a complete ATF change anyway. Now might be a good time, kill two birds with one stone.

Totally agree with Parrot here. Change the fluid for fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom