Car Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Laters, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Laters

Laters Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Honda CR-V
    Here’s my dilemma.
    I have my 1998 c250td elegance with 80,000miles which has a couple of issues, needs a new exhaust very soon:( (rusted & repaired but going to fail again soon) & it has a canbus issue with one of the rear doors:mad: (temporarily solved by unplugging the door module from the canbus).

I do very little mileage a year now due to present circumstances, so the advantage of having a diesel/petrol doesn’t matter anymore.

I’m thinking that to fix my car (new exhaust, canbus module for door) is going to cost a fair bit (especially if I use new parts & haven’t managed to source any used yet (despite trying for last few weeks)) so thought about swapping it for another car whilst its holding together.

Rang about a 2001 c200k coupe auto (with black leather) which has 45000miles on it. In the photos it looks like a very clean car (even though it’s a strange colour) which is for sale at a dealer for £4950.

Now here’s the dilemma do I spend some money & sort my car or swap.
    I haven’t put how much they have offered as a part exchange for my car as yet I know & yes that is the major stumbling block for me.
    They have offered me £900-£1000 (maybe slightly more) for my car as a part exchange.:crazy:

What’s everyone else’s opinion?
    Do I spend on my car (which is probably going to cost me somewhere near its supposed trade value) or do I go & look at the other car with a view to swapping?
    I know that with the financial state the market is in I won’t win either way but which is the best route?:confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    1st Question you have to ask yourself is "Do you fancy a different car"?

If the answer is yes you can convince yourself of anything you want......

3. OP
    OP
    Laters

Car:
    Honda CR-V
    Yes I agree & that is part of the problem. I've had my car for over 2 years (which is quite good going for me recently :devil: ) & know that it is financial suicide in one way to be looking at changing my car given the state of things & the motor trade.
    And yes I also agree that some of the issues with my car I am maybe blowing out of proportion in my mind but there is the old thing of "good money after bad" & if I spend on a exhaust system (stupid amount of money) I am tied to the car for at least another 12 months.

Plus the old what is next problem that could be on the horizon (canbus etc).

4. OP
    OP
    Laters

Car:
    Honda CR-V
    After a lot of debating I went to have a look.:eek:

The car for sale was great:eek: but after all the debating they didn't offer enough for my car.:crazy:

My car is in good nick for its age(it’s a 1998) (even IBW @ 124works will verify that:cool: ), they started picking at stone chips:eek: & a couple of minor scratches:eek: (that wouldn't show if it wasn't so polished & kept so clean:crazy: ).

After a faultless drive down to look at the car & a faultless drive back (apart from the exhaust starting to blow just as I got off the motorway:mad: ) I've decided to throw a few £'s at my car & keep it.:bannana:

All I need to do now is find a reasonably priced exhaust for it & sort the canbus issue in the rear door.;)

5. Colin_b

Colin_b Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
    Interesting decision. I've a perfectly good, but extremely boring car ( a vauxhall meriva). Yes, it does what I want, but it is unexciting in the extreme. I'd kind of like to replace it with something equally practical, but rather nicer to drive - C or E estate seems to fit the bill.

But - decisions.

For.
    More rewarding to drive (needs to be an auto) and more room.

Against.
    Money, the money is in budget, but there is a recession....
    The boring car is fine and isn't going to depreciate much more.

As an aside, I do have an SLK but SWMBO (credit to the late John Mortimer) always gets it first!

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
Tags: