Car drifting to the left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

microkid

I have a C Class Coupe purchased recently from Merc direct. I've noticed it has a tendency to drift to the left. Is this normal for Mercs or should I take it back to the dealership as it's still under warrenty?

Mine does as well.

I recently had 4-wheel allignment done, and checked pressures and at the service checked the shocks.

It is not as bad as before the allignment, but it still does it, noticeable at motorway speed.

I thought all cars had a small pull to the left in the UK, this is to ensure if you drifted off to sleep/heart attack etc, the car wouldn't wonder into oncoming traffic...

I thought all cars had a small pull to the left in the UK, this is to ensure if you drifted off to sleep/heart attack etc, the car wouldn't wonder into oncoming traffic...

Careful, you could start an "urban myth" with that one!

Russ

Careful, you could start an "urban myth" with that one!

Russ

Like if you get a speeding ticket send in a cheque for £61 and never cash the cheque for the difference back....

Mercedes with wider wheels/tyres can be very sensitive to the slightest road camber in comparison to many cars ( design of the steering geometry I believe) and new owners can be extra sensitive to this initially. Rear wheel drive cars can also be more prone to the influence of side winds also since in FWD the front driven wheels are also steering the car and tend to "pull the car straight" so to speak. Having said all that since the car is still under warranty I would still take it back to get the geometry checked. Dealership expertise on this operation is variable so make sure you take it to a dealer who knows what they are doing.;)

My 2002 220 cdi sports coupe does the same, slight tendancy to pull to the left had full aligment check carried out which improved the problem slightly.

I 'm running 225 45 17 Michelin Sports on the front & Michelin Primacy's on the back

Dave

All uk cars should pull to the nearside, as said above its in the case of an emergency at least its not going to drift on to the oncoming traffic.

Just depends how big the pull is, it could be the wheel alignment needs checking.

Mercedes with wider wheels/tyres can be very sensitive to the slightest road camber in comparison to many cars ( design of the steering geometry I believe) and new owners can be extra sensitive to this initially. Rear wheel drive cars can also be more prone to the influence of side winds also since in FWD the front driven wheels are also steering the car and tend to "pull the car straight" so to speak. Having said all that since the car is still under warranty I would still take it back to get the geometry checked. Dealership expertise on this operation is variable so make sure you take it to a dealer who knows what they are doing.;)

"They all do that Sir" quoted my main dealer:rolleyes:

"They all do that Sir" quoted my main dealer:rolleyes:
As soon as any service desk utters that phrase its an indication they are not "listening" to a customers concerns. Time to move on to one who does.;)

Hmm ... I'm not aware of any of my cars ever pulling to the left on a flat surface (e.g. motorway). Obviously on a cambered road you'd expect it to some degree.

All uk cars should pull to the nearside, as said above its in the case of an emergency at least its not going to drift on to the oncoming traffic.

Just depends how big the pull is, it could be the wheel alignment needs checking.

That's it, this urban myth has officially been started on this forum!

Russ

Having recently come over from the 'dark side', I too felt the car had a greater tendency to pull to the left than my 3-Series, but only slightly. In my view, it's to do with the natural camber of the road and maybe MB's are just more sensitive to it..? Anyway, driving down the centre of the road (ie straddling the white line :eek: ), or on a flat motorway, the steering's fine.

That's it, this urban myth has officially been started on this forum!

Russ
Hardly, i've heard this many many years ago. Whether it's an urban myth or down to the camber or actual fact I couldn't care, just offering my info on the matter.

All my cars have pulled to the left, or felt like they have.

Hardly, i've heard this many many years ago. Whether it's an urban myth or down to the camber or actual fact I couldn't care, just offering my info on the matter.

All my cars have pulled to the left, or felt like they have.

Becuase of the camber of the roads on which you drive.

If you want to have a rough check whether your car does this go to a level supermarket car park when its quiet. Park the car in a space ensuring the wheels are pointing straight, drive slowly forward and your car should track straight. The markings of the spaces in front of you should illustrate if your car veers, which it shouldn't.

Read somewhere in another thread, increase recommended tyre pressure by 2 psi.

Swap front wheels around to see if prob goes the other way.

Mine used to do this 4 wheel track and all is well wheelsinmotion.

Lynall

New Pirellis all round on mine on Tuesday. Tyre shop said I had got "good value" from the last set. Tracking on the edge of acceptable but not worth adjusting. Used to notice that it needed very slight effort to stop it drifting towards the ditch on well-cambered roads. Doesn't seem to be noticeable on the new set of tyres.

If you want to have a rough check whether your car does this go to a level supermarket car park when its quiet. Park the car in a space ensuring the wheels are pointing straight, drive slowly forward and your car should track straight. The markings of the spaces in front of you should illustrate if your car veers, which it shouldn't.

Do this by driving in both directions. The car park will not necessarily be even.

If the car pulls consistently to one side in each direction then you can assume that the car is doing it regardless of camber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom