Car for a Grand, Suggestions ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
it been said above but ...a 190E
theres loads about that look extremely reasonable at that sort of price

That 95 C-Class is a total dog, + the wiper is parked on the wrong side.

W201 , W124 or W126

Any of the above will do the job .

Mate has a mint S202 C240 sport auto, silver with black leather and sport wheels.

Lovely car and he is only wanting £1200 but may take a grand??

Something like that would be my choice for a grand.

It is....

99T Plate
C240 sport Auto
78,000 miles
Silver with Black leather
Climate
Sunroof
Cruise
Rain sensing wipers
AMG alloys
Cargo tray

Just had a gearbox fluid change.
New tyres 4k miles ago

That has got to beat a Micra??!!! haha

Forgot to say, the above is an estate.

cheers for the replys.

would love another 190 but as ive been there done that with my 3.2 m104'd 190 Sportline buying another 190 grandad mobile just wont cut it im afraid !

Same with W202 plenty of good C280's about but as ive had a mint C36 Kitted,Recaro'd C280 sport the grand ones also are not going to compare

I would buy a big ole Jag or W126 but as it will be parked up down the road from my shop taking up space , i get enough complaints from the residents with my luton van and a big distinctive lump will be even worse !!!

You could probably get a 100k mile Audi A4 or E39 5 series for that?

It's at Bentley at the moment - though if you start a new thread on GTs I'll update :).

There are but 3 things that can survive the end of the world ...
1.Cockroach
2.Horseshoe crab
3.1998 Honda Accord

There are but 3 things that can survive the end of the world ...
1.Cockroach
2.Horseshoe crab
3.1998 Honda Accord

A grand isn't a banger- 500 quid is top whack for a "banger" which, if you do some reading, and have a wad of cash and your trainers on,will bag you a clean, tidy, MOT'd and taxed unfashionable but perfectly serviceable pre-owned vehicle.

Here's my current 2- both 100% reliable, safe and have many years left in them for an outlay of maybe £100-150 a year in maintenence, and a purchase price of well under £500 each.

30012013195_zps1439d68d.jpg

Rover 75 V6 - got mine for £500 - brilliant car for the money, low mileage, fsh.
Running it for a few months while I search for the right e-class, I'd be tempted to keep it if I didn't need an estate.

Depends what you're going to use the car for. If you want cheap motoring, Nissan Micra or a Honda Civic.
Otherwise I'd go for a Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Shogun or a Mitsubishi RVR (with evolution running gear - absolute hoot to drive)
Just edited to add the Toyota Carina, another very reliable car

Last edited:
W202, can get a decent well specced one, and wont feel acient like a W201 would.

I've started using our 190e regularly again after just selling my E320- it doesn't feel ancient at all. It smooth, quiet, handles nicely.... its bloody brilliant actually, forgot how much I loved it.

6 years or so of motoring and touch wood not once left me stranded. I would trust it a lot more than a newer Merc of suspect quality with a load of electrics to play up. You look after it, it looks after you.

I bought a C180 for around £800 for my dad a while back. Not as good as a 190 but hasn't put a foot wrong yet and is a comfy little thing.

Last edited:
W202 C Class
E34 5 Series
VW Passat
Saab 9-5
Peugeot 406

i bought an 83 944lux....£450 with a small dent on the front panel and a rotten os sill....made a new one....passed mot first time ....but beware there a lot of tat out there for a grand....real money pits...i paid a grand for my 1997 passat estate diesel 96000miles two yrs ago....ithink its cost me £250 in bits since ive had it119k now....£1000 will buy you ahalf decent vag car....german enginering....oh,thats where all the best cars come from though.....:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom