Car for blasting up the motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mambo

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 535d Sport, Mini Cooper Convertible
I need a second car for my weekly trip up to Manchester from London and I have a couple of options:

1. Lease a new Golf dielsel for a year like Maff
2. Get a cheap (<£5k) car probably an old 5 series :crazy: or something.

What do you all reckon would be the best option?

Either lease the Golf or get a W124 E-class Auto or W140 S-class. There are many under £5k and they are very comfortable for long motorway trips.

my neighbour has an immaculate 7 series for sale - I don't know much about it but it's black, on an N ( I think) plate with an asking price of around 4k.

Not sure what engine etc but I can find out for you if you like

Andy

what kind of fuel economy do you need? Are you picking up the fuel tab or charging it? i think that will influence your options significantly.

I have a friend with a J plate 740 not for sale - it's a beautiful car in stunning nock - but costs a fortune to run :crazy:

Buying 'old' for regular long motorway trips might prove to be a false economy. You MIGHT get lucky and buy a decent car but on the other side of the coin something might go bang and then you will be in the 'if only' corner. If only I had etc etc.

If your budget will stretch to the diesel Golf, then go for it. Only you know your budget, but it sounds like reliability must be a major factor in any choice you make.

Good luck,
John

I would go for the Golf but would you be likely to hit charges for excess miles?

Fuel economy is pretty important, I'm leaning towards the golf as the savings in fuel would be huge.....

Get whater you fancy with a VAG TDi engine, new as you can or lease.

If economy is important then something like the Golf would be your best bet. It depends how heavy you want your right foot to be :rolleyes: If you can keep it light then you have lots more options open - but certainly looking like a diesel though. You also have to balance up against depreciation if you end up buying and piling the mileage on :crazy: But if you're only doing London to Manchester return trip weekly with nothing else, then that's not going to give you more than 5k miles per year or so. Leasing would therefore be a good option but it'll cost you, plus your fuel with nothing at the end of it.

For me - ride comfort for that trip would be paramount too.

Not an easy call and so many possibilities. I'd be inclined to buy something say no more than 3 years old.

pammy said:
what kind of fuel economy do you need? Are you picking up the fuel tab or charging it? i think that will influence your options significantly.

I have a friend with a J plate 740 not for sale - it's a beautiful car in stunning nock - but costs a fortune to run :crazy:

I'll be picking up the fuel tab unfortunately :(

Looks like its going to be the Golf then!

Golf or similar without a doubt. Not only will your fuel bills be much lower but maintenance bills as well compared to a high mileage beast, especially if you lease the car from new.

Don't overlook the VW Bora.
The booted Golf represents excellent value (especially second hand). As it's due to be replaced you may get a good deal.

I've still got a 94 Vento that I used for my regular weekend trips from London to Liverpool. I've also had a big bumper Jetta Gti before and still have a huge soft spot for the booted Golfs.

PJH said:
Spot on Fuzzer, all women cost a fortune!

aaah - but we're worth it ;) :p :devil:

pammy said:
But if you're only doing London to Manchester return trip weekly with nothing else, then that's not going to give you more than 5k miles per year or so.

Don't mean to sound like a nit-pick, :eek: but London to Manchester has got to be about 200 miles each way! :eek:

So London-Manchester-London ~ 400 miles!

52 weeks of the year....

Thats over 20K miles a year!

Perhaps the lease-car diesel sounds like a good deal after all... ;)

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom