Car for my son

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 18 year old nephew just bought himself a 66 plate Fiesta. 25,000 on the clock and £1900 for the insurance.

Car was £6250 which I think is rather a lot to spend on your first vehicle at such a young age.
He’s written it off. Not even had it 3 months.

Ouch. As long as he is OK, that's the main thing. All part of the learning process I guess.

The main thing is he is ok, at the end of the day its just a piece of metal.

A question.
If the black box in the car reveals that he was speeding can they refuse to pay out??

A question.
If the black box in the car reveals that he was speeding can they refuse to pay out??
You'll have to read through the terms of the policy to answer that one, I'm afraid.

Was there any third party damage that will result in a claim against your nephew? If so, his insurer can't refuse liability for that but if their terms allow them to void his policy for some reason (very unlikely, if he was honest in his proposal) then they may reclaim from him any payment they make to a third party.

You'll have to read through the terms of the policy to answer that one, I'm afraid.

Was there any third party damage that will result in a claim against your nephew? If so, his insurer can't refuse liability for that but if their terms allow them to void his policy for some reason (very unlikely, if he was honest in his proposal) then they may reclaim from him any payment they make to a third party.
No other parties involved.

No other parties involved.
That's a blessing.

Unfortunately, as a result of this incident I suspect his opportunity to drive will be curtailed by what will likely be astronomical insurance premiums for the foreseeable future.

I'd have been tempted to not make it public or make a claim and put it down to experience. With the value of the car it wont be long before any payout is more than eaten up by higher premiums over the next few years. Does not look like an expensive DIY repair with the help of a local scrap yard either......as long as you don't mind it looking a bit "secondhand"! The shame of driving a dented car might sharpen up his driving a bit too!!

I'd have been tempted to not make it public or make a claim and put it down to experience. With the value of the car it wont be long before any payout is more than eaten up by higher premiums over the next few years. Does not look like an expensive DIY repair with the help of a local scrap yard either......as long as you don't mind it looking a bit "secondhand"! The shame of driving a dented car might sharpen up his driving a bit too!!
All these are being discussed. ☹️

Its public knowledge now though with plate clearly visible......

That
What is??
That's its been crashed....so the insurance company could find out whether you claim or not........which could still potentially affect the future premiums.

That's weird looking damage, to do that underneath and then dent the wing up high.

Are the rods / arms actually damaged, or is it more that the boots have been dislodged exposing the grease?

Bumper is obviously an easy enough repair, as would the underside. Dent might be possible to pull / knock out with a good bodyshop.

Was the road wet? Seems strange to understeer that badly in the dry under normal circumstances.

Lucky that he was alright, although I dare say shaken.

I'd have been tempted to not make it public or make a claim and put it down to experience.

Its public knowledge now though with plate clearly visible......
It's not the plate being visible on a forum that's the issue. The insurer already knows it's been involved in an impact through the telematics "black box" that @Darrell asked about in post# 50.

Bearing that in mind, not reporting it to the insurer at the very least "for information only" if there's no intention to pursue a claim is potentially problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom