Car for my son

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But not as problematic (financially) as actually telling them!!

But not as problematic (financially) as actually telling them!!
Probably more so to not tell them, I would have thought?

The insurer already knows it's been involved in a collision, and the policy will have a clause that requires the policyholder to inform them of any such incident. Failure to disclose a material fact is potentially very expensive if they cancel a policy or refuse renewal on the grounds of an undeclared collision.

That's the big downside of the telematics black boxes: they put the insured in a position whereby they are guaranteed to be found out if they "forget" to mention a solely own-damage event, as we all would have done when we were that age and insured TPF&T.

Yeah....forgot about the black box bit to be honest. Not sure how it would "know" about an accident that did not trigger airbags etc....but yes point taken.

A question.
If the black box in the car reveals that he was speeding can they refuse to pay out??
He was speeding with a telematics box installed?

Does not look like an expensive DIY repair with the help of a local scrap yard either......as long as you don't mind it looking a bit "secondhand"! The shame of driving a dented car might sharpen up his driving a bit too!!
I'll wager the chassis is deformed. Takes a fair skelp to dislocate a drive shaft.

Not sure how it would "know" about an accident that did not trigger airbags etc.
They have a quite sensitive G-sensor in them that detects levels of both fore-and-aft and lateral acceleration. That's how they identify "harsh acceleration / braking" and "aggressive cornering" which reduce the driver score and allow them to sanction by charging more, and/or threatening withdrawal of cover.

Edited to add:

Here's a good explanation of how telematics works and what insurance companies use it for - including digital recreation of crashes!

Last edited:
The insurer already knows it's been involved in an impact through the telematics "black box"
Yes it may have been flagged up by the black box, but does the insurer actually know unless a claim has been submitted. Its hard enough to speak with anyone on the phone these days, so I very much doubt they have a department monitoring black boxes and if they did they would have contacted you by now. As someone said, take the hit (no pun intended), either scrap or fix it yourself. Just my opinion as I know nothing about black boxes, but would never have one, bad enough with all the other big brother monitoring going on

but does the insurer actually know unless a claim has been submitted.
The telematics analysis used by the insurers identifies "out of bounds" conditions proactively, so that the insurer can warn the driver that their driving behaviour is considered (by them) inappropriate. On that basis I'd wager that the insurer is automatically alerted to a collision scenario. Personally, I'd be very reluctant to assume that they don't know about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom