car for my wife (beetle)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
hi

ever since i bought my r129 my wife told me she wanted a cabrio too :) (can't say i have had much pleasure of the softtop this summer but there you go)

she is particularly keen on a beetle cabrio (new shape) and i quite like the look of them as well.

I usually buy cars when they are 5 years or older (so I don't get hit too hard by depreciation) and would like to do the same for this beetle. i probably won't be in a position to buy one till January but just trying to do some homework at this stage

i would be interested to know forum members' experience with this type of car.

many thanks

Hello

I quite like the bug and wife does but looks like a tiny boot (if you need the space) and also hard to judge front and rear, even harder with roof down as its huge the way it sits at the back.

Quality build, not much vrooom unless the 1.8T one, but a good safe solid car.

If you don't need the seats I would look for a new shape MX5 ?

Minis also ok, but those roll hoops again look like an add on and boot even smaller than both above.

Whats your budget? would an older SLK be on the cards if she likes the mercs plus you get the solid top :)

Quality build, not much vrooom unless the 1.8T one, but a good safe solid car.

We had one on an 04 plate, inside bits kept falling off.....plastics, window switches etc.

I quite like the bug and wife does but looks like a tiny boot (if you need the space) and also hard to judge front and rear, even harder with roof down as its huge the way it sits at the back.

Agreed it is a funky, chunky, quirky little car my wife had no trouble parking it but very rarely had the roof down, quite a heavy car too based on the Golf platform. We had the 2ltr petrol, not quick but nippy and fairly thirsty.

IMHO it looks and feels quite solid but dont expect too much quality. Maybe the newer ones have improved.....

M.

Whats your budget? would an older SLK be on the cards if she likes the mercs plus you get the solid top :)

budget between £5-10k, forgot to mention we have 2 kids so would have to be a 4 seater, which means no go for slk or mx5.

we would probably keep her existing car (picasso) for family trips etc so small boot space is not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom