Car-free cities; the way forward?

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been there, so disappointing
Kuta, Seminyak, Nusa Dua, not surprised, try heading towards Lovina and you will see this...
c1357218bd5cfa812a9c28d86b9c1b8d.jpg
2610577923fc84b3ba6576fa99a8459b.jpg
9c240616c5caa198f4af7c43737321bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Don't see any surf?
That's because it's mostly in the spoilt South of the Island with the Aussie surfers, there is a little in the East where I am currently staying..
f9d0740f18fdb37f17907643cccd234d.jpg
c1be72cd23fa537868b739426a7cdd2f.jpg

That's because it's mostly in the spoilt South of the Island with the Aussie surfers, there is a little in the East where I am currently staying..
f9d0740f18fdb37f17907643cccd234d.jpg
c1be72cd23fa537868b739426a7cdd2f.jpg

Flat as a witch's tit:D

Yes I'm sure.

But be that as it may, the coming years are likely to see long haul flights taken as part of that "essential holiday experience" viewed as an unnecessary luxury that the planet can ill afford.

And that's despite the vociferous and effective lobbying of the fossil fuel and airline industries.
I see Caroline Lucas of the Green party has been taking regular long haul flights to visit family, long haul flights may get taxed higher but it won't stop people using them....

They worry about the air quality outside... yet when asbestos gets damaged internally and remediation is required how would they expect removal contractors and air monitoring analysts to come in... on bikes?

Would love to see the RAMS for a job with a waste route from a central building, on the underground and up to where the vans are parked outside of the city
And how do you get concrete etc to building sites?
Like or loathe them, but here’s a few things to think about.
Let’s pick Manchester for example; multiple building and renovation projects going on to attract more people there. Now if the city was car free, how do you get 100,000 people plus to work and back every day?
Anyone who has been on a bus with someone else on it who has a cold knows that virus is going to spread real fast.
Why is no-one kicking off about the destruction of the Amazon etc?
In the world we live in, there is a threat of terrorism, and public transport has and will continue to be targeted.
Also, out of town shopping! Who hasn’t waited for ages to get out of one?
Cars are evil necessities but also give you the freedom to travel where public transport doesn’t go.
Where does it all end?

And how do you get concrete etc to building sites?
Let’s pick Manchester for example; multiple building and renovation projects going on to attract more people there. Now if the city was car free, how do you get 100,000 people plus to work and back every day?
Anyone who has been on a bus with someone else on it who has a cold knows that virus is going to spread real fast.
Why is no-one kicking off about the destruction of the Amazon etc?
In the world we live in, there is a threat of terrorism, and public transport has and will continue to be targeted.
Also, out of town shopping! Who hasn’t waited for ages to get out of one?
Cars are evil necessities but also give you the freedom to travel where public transport doesn’t go.
Where does it all end?
Autonomous taxis.

Yup, a Johnny Cab.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Where does it all end?

Well by following your logic it looks like it ends in a massive traffic jam of cars and construction vehicles in Manchester because it's too dangerous to take public transport because you'll get blown up or have to blow your nose and the city is going to make the problem worse because it apparettly has to renovate to increase its population.

I think what you're really saying is that cities are no longer viable?

What isn’t taken into account is with all the construction etc, no one is looking at the roads. Many a time it has taken 90 mins or more to drive from Manchester City centre up the a6 just to get to the m61. Who needs terrorism or a cold when we can breathe in all that carbon monoxide while waiting to get home.

I wasn’t aware of this, but many of central London’s roads were closed to cars today. It was apparently to raise awareness about the city’s air quality issues. This article talks about how measures are having to be taken in cities across the world, and certainly in my experience in many of them it’s well overdue. As mentioned in the article, there are possibly benefits beyond pollution reduction by banning cars. Is it time to be strong and take the level of action happening in Oslo, or do we worry about upsetting a few people and just let things continue as they are? Can we change our mindset towards the perceived freedom offered by our cars or will we continue to offer excuses?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/london-car-free-day-cities?
Air pollution is the legacy of me livingstone and sadiq. The introduction of bus lanes and narrowing of roads mean that you need 30 minutes to travel 4 miles. Kensington has been opposing bus lanes, cyclist lanes and 20 mile zones for a while. Turns out all our congestion is in areas where we have a border with another Borough :
Bayswater Road when it switches to Westminster and the bus lane is starts.
Shepherds Bush roundabout because Hammersmith starts with a 20mph limit and very far switching traffic lights
Kensington Road when you enter Westminster near Harrods
Must I go on?
The pattern is very obvious. Also this boroughs have a thing for not fixing their roads and causing maximum driver disruption. To top it up, public transport is slow outdated and lacks capacity

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

I thought some time back it had finally been recognised that deliberately slowing down traffic increased pollution but I don't any action being taken by planners to acknowledge the effect and attempt to minimise disruption.

Air pollution is the legacy of me livingstone and sadiq. The introduction of bus lanes and narrowing of roads mean that you need 30 minutes to travel 4 miles. Kensington has been opposing bus lanes, cyclist lanes and 20 mile zones for a while. Turns out all our congestion is in areas where we have a border with another Borough :
Bayswater Road when it switches to Westminster and the bus lane is starts.
Shepherds Bush roundabout because Hammersmith starts with a 20mph limit and very far switching traffic lights
Kensington Road when you enter Westminster near Harrods
Must I go on?
The pattern is very obvious. Also this boroughs have a thing for not fixing their roads and causing maximum driver disruption. To top it up, public transport is slow outdated and lacks capacity

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk
I can fully understand why you should think that, but only if you haven’t visited other cities around the world where traffic congestion has become just as bad or worse, with no such additional measures having been taken.

I can fully understand why you should think that, but only if you haven’t visited other cities around the world where traffic congestion has become just as bad or worse, with no such additional measures having been taken.
Hey I am not against doing something about it, but obviously trying to push cars out when you havent figured out your own infrastructure is a stupid mans plan. Electric cars are not that common, charging points are scarce even though kensington has recently partnered up with siemens and installed charging point on almost every street lamp. Public transport is a joke. So fix those first before making life miserable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom