Car going into dealer next week....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roheel

Hi guys,

well think I will need to use the extended warranty for my car

Need to get the steering sorted on the B class as i've replaced the tyres all round, had the wheels refurbed, tracked twice both times its spot on. Still the car pulls to the left and the steering feels so unconnected to the car. It wanders all over the place! Also it makes an intermittent rumbling sound when when it does occur when driving our not its got the tendency to pull on the steering wheel. No warning lights come on.

Another thing i have started to notice is that on cold start the engine sounds like its slipping a belt of pulley is not right. Its only on cold start, once warmed up its runs fine.

I have taken vids of both sounds so hopefully the dealer sees there is an issue and knowing my luck both wont happen when the car is with them!!

Any other advice you guys can give to make sure this gets all sorted under the Tier 1 warranty?

ok but the steering shouldnt feel non connected to the car when driving though. And also as you get faster it gets lighter and lighter. Very unsafe if driving over 40mph. When you hit a road defect even slight the car is all over the place.

Tracking is only part of it, you need to get the full geometry checked, front and rear.

Does you car have Parametric steering?

Is that the same as speed sensitive steering? If so I think so.....

I'd take it to Wheels In Motion and get the verdict from them...

Is that the same as speed sensitive steering? If so I think so.....

Yes. Not sure but perhaps settings can be, erm, reset?

If the pull left is annoying then as suggested, get the car to Wheels-inMotion, they are the gurus regarding this 'characteristic'

I know Wim very well. Taken both my lexus cars there. The B class is for my parents.

Any thoughts on the engine sound?

I've been to WiM too for my Maser 4200 to have new rear tyres fitted and full geometric check & adjustment. They seem very knowledgeable, efficient and I would certainly recommend them and use them again.

Its possible the poly V belt is slipping slightly on start up as the alternator loads up to charge the battery. This can be due a worn belt or incorrect belt tension or even the alternator itself?

Noise could well be a belt if it goes after warm.

I'd let MB sort it although depending on the car age and mileage, it might not be covered (wear and tear item).

My previous E55K had this with the charger belt when the weather got colder.

It's a 2007 with 58k on the clock. Belt won't be covered according to tier 1 which is fine I am willing to pay for that. But other bits it should be covered. It's doing my head in.... and at the mo my parents are driving my car as I don't want them driving this till the steering is sorted.

Yes all checked and true. The car when I bought it had 4 different branded tyres on, so I got them all changed to continentals. I have read that thread and the guys whole steering rack was changed to resolve the issue. The tracking doesn't explain the steering making a rumbling sound and twitchingredients left and right itself without the steering wheel being touched and the car at a stand still.

What's everyone's verdict on the teir 1 warranty? Do they accept claims readily or are they are nightmare?

What's everyone's verdict on the teir 1 warranty? Do they accept claims readily or are they are nightmare?

My personal experience with new car warranty is that they do not cover any wheel alignment or other suspension tuning issues (I tried...). But this was just the usual warranty, I don't have experience with MB Tier 1 warranty etc. Hope this helps.

Tracking I know won't be covered. But surely suspension and steering components should be...

A Tier 1 warranty should be pretty comprehensive and cover all major non consumable components. Once a definite problem is identified there should be no problem with replacement-often the problem is actually identifying the precise source of the problem for this to go ahead? All you can do is to be as precise as possible when describing the problem and best of all get their dealer tester out on a run to demonstrate it in action.

Cheers. I have taken vids to show everything just in case it doesn't happen when at the dealers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom