Car got keyed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theothers

Car
SLK350, C320CDI, Fiat 500c (soon to be gone!) and Smart Roadster, plus a Fireblade :-)
Sorry to have a rant but I am so angry, My wife works for the local Vicar and she parked our merc outside the Church in the village next to our's when she came back some low life has keyed the car right down to the metal all down the nearside.

I know that insurance will cover it but it will still cost me in excess and higher premiums next year.

But the real shame that if you can't leave your car in a dusty kentish village without it getting vandalised then what is happening to this country.

Rant over, I wonderred how many other members have had their cars vandalised?

So sorry you have been attacked. My S class suffered the same fate just last week. No idea why or by whom:mad:
I feel the same way if its any consolation.:confused:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear its happened to you, and thanks for your reply.

R

Sorry to have a rant but I am so angry, My wife works for the local Vicar and she parked our merc outside the Church in the village next to our's when she came back some low life has keyed the car right down to the metal all down the nearside.

I know that insurance will cover it but it will still cost me in excess and higher premiums next year.

But the real shame that if you can't leave your car in a dusty kentish village without it getting vandalised then what is happening to this country.

Rant over, I wonderred how many other members have had their cars vandalised?

Real sorry to hear your story, a sad indictment of today’s society. :mad:

Luckily, I’ve not had that experience as I’m not sure I could control myself if I saw the perpetrators in action, it just makes me sick to think of the intellect of the people who do this kind of thing. Just what sort of upbringing have these individuals had? Whatever happened to respect for other people’s property? They’d be the first whinge and moan if it was the other way around. A three second thrill for them and a £3K paint job to fix. But then I’m old school with old school values where you used to say, “Nice car, one day maybe if I work hard I’ll have one like it”. Nowadays it’s just seems to be how can we trash it.

It’s an all to familiar tale, and as a consequence, I now always try and park my car where I can see it. I know it’s not the most valuable car in the world, and probably not the most desirable, but it’s mine, bought and paid for through hard honest work. A concept alien to a vast section of today’s society of free loaders and spongers. :mad: :mad:

Off my soapbox
Hope you get it fixed OK. ;)

Last edited:
Real sorry to hear your story, a sad indictment of today’s society. :mad:

Luckily, I’ve not had that experience as I’m not sure I could control myself if I saw the perpetrators in action, it just makes me sick to think of the intellect of the people who do this kind of thing. Just what sort of upbringing have these individuals had? Whatever happened to respect for other people’s property? They’d be the first whinge and moan if it was the other way around. A three second thrill for them and a £3K paint job to fix. But then I’m old school with old school values where you used to say, “Nice car, one day maybe if I work hard I’ll have one like it”. Nowadays it’s just seems to be how can we trash it.

It’s an all to familiar tale, and as a consequence, I now always try and park my car where I can see it. I know it’s not the most valuable car in the world, and probably not the most desirable, but it’s mine, bought and paid for through hard honest work. A concept alien to a vast section of today’s society of free loaders and spongers. :mad: :mad:

Off my soapbox
Hope you get it fixed OK. ;)

Totally agree and thanks for your comments.

I wonderred how many other members have had their cars vandalised?

It's happened to me in the past. I got my bonnet star nicked several times from the W116, and my W126 got keyed. Both those events happened while I was still living in Belgium many years ago, in an equally small and dusty town.

Since living in London, of all places, I haven't had any problems :confused:.

TheOthers and Mactech,

Sorry to hear the news... I know what it's like as this happened a few months ago to my wifes car. Parked in the teachers car park at school... Insurance paid out £2000 to rectify but she lost NCD etc etc...

The school are now fitting camera's round the area but it does not change the fact that it happened.

Totally agree with the state of society but it goes deeper than just the kids being vindictive. It needs a complete change statring at home and in school and with the laws and punishment.. There is a general lack of respect for other people and their property. Now I know this has been happening for a long time but it seems to be getting a lot worse these days and oneday someone up high will snap and bring about a change. (Which is long overdue in my opinion)

Hope you both get your car's sorted without too much hassle and cost.

MANY years ago (28 actually) I had my brand new Cortina keyed while shopping in Sidcup.
I felt gutted, annoyed, all the things you do. I still dont like to park in Sidcup, even to this day. Irrational I know, but thats how how deep my feelings went.
There are some serious scum out there.

Makes your blood boil doesn't it? With my cars, I've had eggs thrown, spat on, wing mirror kicked and bodywork keyed in the past...that was all in Surrey. I live in London now and fingers crossed - no probs. Depends on whether a piece of pond life is in the area - all comes down to luck. Sorry to hear of the stress caused. Will be a bad memory soon which you'll forget about.

Why, why, why? The youths that do this have no values, morals or respect, plus they lack any guts, courage or moral backbone to be able to communicate why they do this? On the news this morning they were reporting how a St Johns Ambulance Hall had been vandalised and then set on fire. The world is going crazy.

good luck with the repair.

Yours sincerely
John

Why, why, why?

I can't help thinking that the parents and the educational system have a significant role to play in this kind of mentality.

I live in London now and fingers crossed - no probs. Depends on whether a piece of pond life is in the area

Where I live here in Kensington, there is a lot of policing on the streets, as well as quite a bit of social control in the busy London City Centre. Would those two factors play a role? :confused:

Years ago, I thought car vandalising (key scratching in particular) was an act of jealousy.

And now, its not uncommon for me to repair cars with kicked in panels and an increasingly more common thing to do these days is run over a row of cars end to end down a street (this is more common outside or near to a University campus). Some used car forecourts have the same problem with youths jumping across the bonnets of cars on the front row.

However, a couple of years ago, my other half had a clapped out old Fiesta on a N plate, and the door mirror was kicked off.

Then after she upgraded to an 03 plate Fiesta last year, just a few weeks ago, her car was keyed from end to end whilst on a night out.

Neither car would be anything to be jealous of - so that leads me to the conclusion that car vandalism of any description is purely random and has nothing to do with make or value and is not driven by jealousy.

I've heard that there is a growing opinion to bring back national service.

I'm all for that - It would teach these young vandals a few values. But what to do about the innocent ones??

Years ago I bought myself a Fiesta 1.6 16v Si. Super looking little car but someone didn't like it and it got keyed 3 times whilst I owned it. Each time it was outside my Mum and Dads house.

And now, its not uncommon for me to repair cars with kicked in panels and an increasingly more common thing to do these days is run over a row of cars end to end down a street (this is more common outside or near to a University campus).

I used to live in a university town and car damage by students was common. I had a door mirror kicked off and know someone who's car was in a line of cars that were 'run over' and kicked in.
Fortunately in their case the 'runners' were caught and taken to court.

One car, a BMW, was so badly damaged it was written off.

Sorry to hear of your damage Guys...given the chance I'd cut a hand off for the first offence.

Well better get used to it, this country is one big mess.

Look on the bright side, you didnt get beaten to death by the yobs that marked it.

Even if they had been caught they would have just had a slaped wrist, and told not to do it again, if they would be so kind.

Image002.jpg

Someone keyed mine from the petrol cap right back to the light cluster :(, and that's on top of jumping in the roof, kicking in a door and stealing the badge.

The most annoying thing about this type of vandalism is that there's no motive: you didnt deserve it, cant explain it, cant catch the culprits and cant stop it happening again!

Really sorry to hear so many people have experienced it, maybe when these kids grow up, buy their first car and are on the recieving end there'll be some realisation. .... But i doubt it.

Worst thing is mine's still there 9 months on as if i claim on my insurance i wont be able to insure the car next year due to my age :(

Look on the bright side, you didnt get beaten to death by the yobs that marked it.

Even if they had been caught they would have just had a slaped wrist, and told not to do it again, if they would be so kind.

I tend to agree, despite being a victim.
It seems I have spent half my life preparing immaculate race cars only for them to be trashed in moments.
Maybe after spending 20 years driving 'target' cars and this is my first encounter with deliberate vandalism I should count myself lucky.
Maybe it’s just that I feel that anything I might be able to do to reverse the trend will be futile.
Maybe it is just a fact of life now, like it will rain again tomorrow and my lovely car will be all dirty again.
I have come to regard all things as temporary and to be enjoyed for a season even if this season is, as advertised in Milletts window. ‘Now is the season of our discount tents’ :D :devil:

I think what it is, although this doesnt excuse the fact, merc drivers tend to look after their vehicles. My brother had his front wings repainted and a scrape fixed on the bumper. The day after he got it done, someone had keyed it from front wing to the back passenger door. People have no respect about other people's belongings, they see that someone takes pride in their vehicle but are jealous of that person even though you are not stopping them from buying their own.

Can't say I agree. I don't think we should get used to it -to do so means we accept their actions as 'normal'. Anti social crime may appear to be on the increase, but other crime rates are down. I saw police on the beat for the first time in years on my high street - fantastic.

The Poll tax was ditched because of public outrage. If we sat back and said...we should get used to it...it would still be here today.

Yes, mine got keyed very soon after I bought it. I can see no other explanation except for jealous neighbours, who commented on why I had a car like mine at my age (I apologise for working hard and keeping down a good job...). Sure enough it was keyed the next week.

The only silver lining was that who ever tired didn't try hard enough and it was only lacquer damage, so it buffed out. But this is not the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom