Car has FMBSH and yet mercedes did not change the ATF at 37,500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

niketpatel71

I don't know who's a bigger moron me for not checking before buying the car or them for not doing it. Car is on 57000 now and the next service is due in Sept will have to get it done then. Can't even use an indie to service the car as it voids the MB approved used warranty. FFS End of vent

Willing to be proved wrong but I never expected mb to change it, don't they still claim that it's sealed for life?

MB called my car in for ATF change at 40k. Had it done at the same time as the service. But it was MB that notified me it was due (car was under Service-Plus contract at the time).

Which model is it? It's not called for on every car.

No 50,000 miles for oil change, no sealed for life or 40.000 depending on what it is

Last edited:
w219 cls the car is now 4 years hoping they do it now for free under the service care plan :(

No 50,000 miles for oil change, no sealed for life

Depends, for no apparent reason, on the car. Some are 31000 miles and others are 37500. Some don't demand a change at all. The 5 speed boxes have flipped back and forth from needing and not needing changes several times. Despite me having the same car as Whitenemesis the dealer wouldn't do mine under ServicePlus as the requirement to change the ATF came back in a couple of thousand VIN numbers (so probably about 2 weeks) after my car was built.

Try inputting the vehicle data, mileage etc, into MB ESS website and see what it says?

Mercedes-Benz ESS

Depends, for no apparent reason, on the car. Some are 31000 miles and others are 37500. Some don't demand a change at all. The 5 speed boxes have flipped back and forth from needing and not needing changes several times. Despite me having the same car as Whitenemesis the dealer wouldn't do mine under ServicePlus as the requirement to change the ATF came back in a couple of thousand VIN numbers (so probably about 2 weeks) after my car was built.

They need to make a decision about this and stick to it but i will stick to what i believe and that is you do need to change the gearbox oil at around 50,000 regardless, thats a good life span for the oil whatever merc say and leaving it longer will lead to problems in the long run.
They chopped and changed with the vito on whether they were doing it or not and then when they had a few box problems they decided it need changing at 50 thou

Martin

ESS shows it should have been done at 37,500 miles. So who did the service when it should have been done, and did you buy the car from that garage, and will they be doing the next service?

Are you sure it hasn't been done? Chances are it hasn't, but you never know.

I can't see ServiceCare cheerfully paying for it, but you never know.

Surely a change can do no harm? I've had it done twice now and will do so again come 120k ...

I bet your car had only done 37,497 miles so the computer said no

lol no i want to change it but it ticks my boxes that I will have to pay £270 for it and it wont be covered by MB service plan as it wont be on the ESS sheet and that I can't service it by an indie or it will void the approved warranty.

i called the MB of swansea who did the service they have no recollection of the ATF being changed at the last service they did which was at 50,000 and the services before then have been archived and they can't access them. MB is so *********

I bet your car had only done 37,497 miles so the computer said no

I wondered that but he says the car is on 57K now so it must have been serviced after 37,500 miles.

To be honest, if you were just about the get rid of the car, why would you pay £250 or so to get the ATF changed if you could avoid it? And these forums are full of people moaning about the dealers saying they won't stamp the service unless all the additional work is done, which they could get done cheaper at an indie. It seems in practice the dealers will usually stamp the book even without the additional work.

My poor Dad has learnt the hard way by buying an approved used from MB. To date, every main dealer we have had dealings with have been a joke. A slight noise from the steering took six attempts to fix. Last attempt took 2 weeks to get parts from Germany and then when the parts arrived they booked my Dad back in only to be told at the end of the day they need special tools to fit the part and they have to be ordered from guess where!! This is the exact reason I will only use an indy, such as PCS, as Olly is honest, reliable and does not rip you off. Big loss to MB when Olly left, great gain for him and his customers.

lol no i want to change it but it ticks my boxes that I will have to pay £270 for it and it wont be covered by MB service plan as it wont be on the ESS sheet and that I can't service it by an indie or it will void the approved warranty.

Arguably (and this might be useful to you) MB could say the warranty, at least on the gearbox, is void as it wasn't serviced on time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom