Car in dealership - Suspiciously worried.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

president

Car
CLK240 Cabriolet
I have a 2005 CLK under Merc service plan. I cancelled my warranty last year. My car was fully serviced and passed as tip top condition less that a year ago by Merc.

The oil warning came up a couple of times recently and the last time I put 1 litre in, as advised, when filling up. That evening I was in Ealing and it sounded like the fan belt was making a noise. By the time I drove home to South London the noise had got louder and the final 100m it sounded serious and when I checked there was oil over the engine.

I called Merc who told me I was covered for Merc breakdown and a free courtesy car. The breakdown guy arrived the next day and to my relief told me it was a leaking oil filter that had leaked onto the fan belt and that was what was making the nioise. I asked if it would have been covered under the warranty if I still had it and he said "yes, but it should still be covered under the service plan as it was Mercedes who put the oil filter on and that has a seal that has given away".

This all seems to add up. Why there was no other engine light warning., why there was oil over the engine and why the fan belt was frayed.

He took the car away and I waited for the phone call on Monday. I have just spoken to Service at Merc Croydon and the gentleman said it was a leaking oil filter that had leaked onto the fan belt. Also there is a problem with the air conditioning pulley. He said they would like to replace these 3 things.

I waited for him to say these were covered under the service plan, but he didn't. When I prompted him by asking if these were covered he said I no longer had a warranty. I explained that I had a service plan and that they were the ones who put the oil filter on and that it was the seal that had gone and caused the problem.

He said he would look into it and they needed to investigate to find out exactly what caused this. He said he would need my permission to start the work. I explained I didn't have any choice.

I'm now worried they are going to "find" some reason why my car is not covered and charge me. I feel a bit powerless. I don't understand why he needs to investigate. He seemed to know what it was when he thought I was paying for it.

Just wondered if anyone has any opinion or advice for me on this. Many thanks in advance.

P.

It was easy enough for them to say it was the seal, before they realised they might be liable....

Some years ago a Vauxhall Dealer refused to consider making a warranty cliam on a fault that developed one month after the car was out of its (extended) warranty cover.

I wrote to Vauxhall, and they sent me a cheque for 75% of the repair bil straightaway, no questions asked.

Don't juat take the garage's first reply, as DM said if the garage won't budge, talk to MB directly.

How many people have actually had any satisfaction from Mercedes customer services?
A serious question.

Not me....

I would definitely argue this & not give in. As you already mentioned, the phone call confirmed the malfunction was caused by an original part provided & fitted by MB.

This surely proves a certain responsibility by MB whether you are under any scheme or not!

How many people have actually had any satisfaction from Mercedes customer services?
A serious question.

I'm happy to advise that I once had a more than pleasant resolution by Mercedes customer services, reference to a problem I had with my SLK.

OK. Good news. Just had a phone call from the dealer. They have fixed everything under warranty. My only gripe is, if the breakdown guy didn't tell me I was covered or if I was "a little old lady" I would have been coughing up a huge bill.

Interesting thread and responses to say there is no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom