Car insurance for lapsed driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
Looking for some pearls of wisdom from the knowledgable people in this community.

I'm in the process of getting a run about for my wife (a precondition of getting my 1st Merc) :)

She hasn't had a car for the last six years, although she frequently drives my company car and our son's car so is still a regular driver. After looking for some insurance quotes it appears that because her last policy in her own name is over two years ago she does not qualify for any NCD.

We've tried talking to a couple of brokers instead of just using the net but they have said the same. Just wondering if anybody knows of any companies who would take into account her previous NCD (not sure how we could give evidence of that), and the fact she is still a regular driver under other policies. If it helps at all she is named on our sons policy, but not on my company car policy.

When I opted out of the company car scheme four years ago I found myself in the same sort of position regarding lack of current NCD. After a good deal of trawling around I found that there are a few insurers who will give an "introductory discount" that was the equivalent of the number of claim-free years I had driving a company car.

Direct Line were most helpful in this respect as they allowed me the equivalent of maximum NCD as an "introductory discount" which after the first claim-free year with them they consolidated as proper NCD. From memory, Aviva offered a similar deal.

Wilsons in Manchester do a great intoductory scheme, friend of mine who runs a company car bought a Porsche and although he had no NCD they gave him 6 years NCD as an introductory bonus for the claim free years he had driving a company car. If your wife has been a regular accident free driver of your and your son's car then they should be able to help with introductory discount.

They also operate under the Quoteline Direct banner, incidentally I'm also insured with them as the rates for my CLK were cheaper than a classic policy

details HERE

I think some companies will give NCD for named drivers on other policies - shop around.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you may get a hefty discount if you insure the new car with the same company that you already use. Or via a 'multi car' policy etc.

Thanks for the tips, Wilsons sounds good, will give them a call and check Direct Line.

What car are we talking here??Can you use a classic policy?

Looking at a 10 year old MX5, so it won't qualify for a classic policy :(

It does not have to be very old,it's got to do limited mileage and some places of street parking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom