Car Insurance - It pays to shop around!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wookiepelt

Car
W211 E280 CDI Sport Estate
My car insurance renewal from Elephant can through last week and it was an eye-popping £787 quote! :eek: Did a bit of internet browsing for online quotes and turned in much lower quotes from Admiral.

Took this up with the Elephant's renewal team and it turned out that both Elephant and Admiral use the same providers! They did some verifications using the online quote reference I gave them and came back with a revised renewal quote of £485. That saved me £302 by doing this simple check! :bannana:

So... always shop around for the best deals around!

A lot of direct sell insurers pull this scam... they quote low to get new business, then quote high for renewal.

The theory is that enough clients will have "inertia" and not get round to checking prices... or that clients will assume that if the insurer was cheap in year 1, they will still be cheap in year 2.

Shop around is good advice - but another bit of good advice is, after shopping around, go back to your original insurer and ask them to beat the prices you were quoted.

Nice to save money - epecially nice in the current economy.

i changed from norwich union (or what ever poxy name they think its a good idea to change it to) which was £285 protected to Esure as they did it for £230 ish protected

saved about £50 as i pay it in 1 lump and remove all the extras they try to flog me

Some more advice - look closely at the docs you get. Seems many of them have an "automatic renewal" clause. You have to remember to call them (0845/0870 number, of course) and opt out of the following year's insurance.

More inertia selling.

Scumbags.

Some more advice - look closely at the docs you get. Seems many of them have an "automatic renewal" clause. You have to remember to call them (0845/0870 number, of course) and opt out of the following year's insurance.

More inertia selling.

Scumbags.
for the 0845/0870 try http://www.saynoto0870.com/

i change insurer EVERY year as the renewal is usually 50% more than my first year !!...........just insured the coupe for £150 fully comp.......oh and £95 for the astra:cool:

My renewal is coming up next month. Have done quotes for who I'm with now with others and found it £100 cheaper already. Will wait and see what they come up with then try and play them against each other, well, worth a try or I'll swap insurers! :D

It certainly does pay to shop around. Saved ~£150 recently changing to More Than. Surprisingly, my previous insurer wasn't the least bit interested in reducing their quote, let alone getting anywhere near the new one. The proof of the 'pudding' will be in the 'eating' of course (ie their efficiency in handling any claim).

One thing to watch, especially if you use price comparison sites like moneysupermarket.com, is that you're actually comparing like for like, eg is loan car/breakdown recovery/european cover/etc included - can make a big difference. Probably end up changing again in a year's time...

More inertia selling.

Scumbags.

Try using http://www.saynoto0870.com/ to search for alternative numbers to 0870.

I used it last week week to get an number for the DVLA.

Took this up with the Elephant's renewal team and it turned out that both Elephant and Admiral use the same providers! They did some verifications using the online quote reference I gave them and came back with a revised renewal quote of £485. That saved me £302 by doing this simple check! :bannana:

Same think happened to us on daughter's car, but with Bell, who are also part of Admiral. Suddenly Admiral previously best price could be reduced by £100 (£350 to £250, so a chunky percentage) when confronted with the Bell quote reference.

Having said that, my renewal is due just now with Frizzell (Liverpool Victoria) and I can't beat it with any recognised name and many are coming out £100-£150 more expensive.

Try using http://www.saynoto0870.com/ to search for alternative numbers to 0870.

I used it last week week to get an number for the DVLA.

They're included in BT's calling packages now (I have the 24/7 one, whatever it's called).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom