Car insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oorjim2

Car
03 CLK 320, 09 Corsa 1.2
Hi
I tried Directline.com for an insurance quote for the CLK but could not get one as they want a tracker fitted before it would let me continue with the quote, so I called the thinking this was just because I was doing it online but the guy said that was right they would not quote unless the car had a tracker fitted. I have never been asked for that before.

Jim

What!!!!Never heart about it

Hi
I tried Directline.com for an insurance quote for the CLK but could not get one as they want a tracker fitted before it would let me continue with the quote, so I called the thinking this was just because I was doing it online but the guy said that was right they would not quote unless the car had a tracker fitted. I have never been asked for that before.

We have always been asked for a tracker for our R170 from the UK Insurance PLC insurers: Direct Line/Tesco/Churchill.

When asked about it on the phone they said they would cover but not for theft.

It can't be a value based issue because they've been happy to cover my E. So presumably it's based on category and if your car falls into that category it gets tagged with the tracker requirement.:(

From my recent experience of DL, they know very little about their own products. I wont be renewing with them.

DL or churchill wont insure me on the slk (second car) They said i had to have 2 years NCB Admiral covered me fine @660 Inner london/Two drivers/Parked on road overnite No NCB but £350 Execes

I've never been asked for tracker, including the C320, my old W210 E320 a few years ago and current darkside 730d.

Seems strange that some people are, perhaps its a combination of car and area?

I've never been asked for a tracker.

I got my renewal notification through from DL this weekend for the E55 - £320 including protected NCB :)

Quirky thing, motor insurance.

I insure my W204 with DirectLine and tried getting a quote for my wife's R56 Cooper S last year. Filling in the online quote form, I got to the bit about alarms & imobilisers and clicked the appropriate option (specifying the factory fitted stuff) and it said that I'd need proof that it was fitted. Eh??? :doh:

So, I phone DirectLine and speak to a very pleasant lady who tells me that I'll have to "get independent verification that the vehicle is fitted with the alarm/imobiliser" that I'd said it was. I point out that it's the standard factory fit kit, i.e. not optional equipment, and that you cannot buy the car in the UK without it, ergo it must be fitted. Unfazed by this, she told me that the underwriters demand that independent verification of the alarm/imobiliser's fitting be provided as a condition of cover and helpfully suggested that I ask a MINI Main Dealer to inspect the car and get written confirmation of same. I politely told her that I had no wish to jump through an unnecessary hoop (and make myself look like a moron in the process), and that we'd be taking our business elsewhere.

Definitely a "Computer says No" situation :rolleyes:

Filling in the online quote form, I got to the bit about alarms & imobilisers and clicked the appropriate option (specifying the factory fitted stuff) and it said that I'd need proof that it was fitted. Eh??? :doh:
My GF's car came with an aftermarket alarm in addition to factory so she stated this in the insurance details. Her new insurers asked in writing for a certificate of installation or some kind of proof from a respected third party or they would hike her premium and back-charge for the previous months. She couldn't find the documentation in time and was about to commission a report when she enquired how much the increase would be, I think the reply was about £20. The cost of the report would have been a minumum of that I'm sure! :rolleyes: Needless to say she just paid the additional premium.

I have had a series of high insurance group cars over the last few years and I have never been told that having tracker was a 'requirement'. Sure, it helps in that most companies will give you a discount if you have one. My C55 has one fitted but in order for it to be activated, I would have to pay a fee higher than the reduction I would get in my insurance premium, so I haven't bothered...

When I bought my C55 in January this year, I got a great quote from Mercedes Benz own insurance brand so I am using themat the moment. Before that I used esure.

TR

I recently renewed my insurance on the internet & Prudentials site said the same, they could only quote if a tracker was fitted. So crossed them off the list & went elsewhere.

Russ

Quirky thing, motor insurance.

Bizarrely random at times

Definitely a "Computer says No" situation

Seems to have been a shift in terms of the way they deal with the customer. Very much more based on just going through the script compared with a few years ago.

And they're not as competitive on pricing either. Presumably they figure their brand is relatively strong so they can trade off it with higher margins.

We had a tracker fitted on our last CLK convertible....we found that it was cheaper to insure the car with a company not requiring a Tracker than it was to insure with the Tracker and pay the annual subscription to Tracker......indeed quotes were very similar whether or not a Tracker was required. Needless to say we stopped paying the annual subscription to Tracker!!

BEWARE CHURCHILL's BREAKDOWN COVER special offer ! They offered me free breakdown cover if i would use their company,being a cynical type i checked up, ONLY COVERS YOU UP TO 10 MILES FROM HOME SIR was their reply ! unbelievable aint it, needless to say they are off my list, for ever,SHARP PRACTICE !

When I got the W126 , I was already insured with DL on the 190 2.6 ; asking about transferring the policy to the new car , they told me I'd require to fit a tracker . Although I pointed out the vehicle was only worth approx £1300 , they wouldn't budge ! I went elsewhere and got a better deal . Filled in DL's customer survey a couple of days later and pointed out this one piece of stupidity cost them a customer .

On another form , one question was which security device is fitted - multiple choice - I selected 'manufacturer's standard security device' : well , the car DOES have locks on all 4 doors and a removable ignition key --- ask a stupid question ..............

Seems to have been a shift in terms of the way they deal with the customer. Very much more based on just going through the script compared with a few years ago.
My experience exactly. I first insured a car with them when they started as a brand (198?) and back then their approach and service were lightyears ahead of the rest of the motor insurers. I took a motor policy with them again in 2008 after a 10-year layoff as I'd been driving a company car as they were one of the few that would provide a discount based on lack of claims while driving those company cars against a sensible starting price for the policy. They seem, in general, to be OK in most respects but once you bump into the sort of silliness I experienced trying to get a quote for my wife's car they get into a mode of total intransigence. Shame, really.

I recently renewed my insurance on the internet & Prudentials site said the same, they could only quote if a tracker was fitted. So crossed them off the list & went elsewhere.

Russ

Prudential don't sell car insurance -- they sold off this years ago to ....Churchill - so if you buy a Prudential branded policy you are buying a Churchill one. Their online quote systems are identical with just differing colours...

I've spent most of this evening getting quotes :wallbash:

The best being;
Elephant @ £488.58
AA @ £442.12
Belldirect @ £393.25

Unfortunately, MB was unable to quote for my area. I tried a couple of post codes (thinking I may have bought in the wrong area), but no, the whole of Northern Ireland seems to be the wrong area :eek:

Well so far the cheapest quote so far is the co-op £292 so I think I will be going with them this year.
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom