Car just cut out while driving and now not turning over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Physiojon

Car
Mercedes e-class w212
Hi everyone, I’m new to this so be gentle 😀
I was driving my sons c180 2006 w203 when it just cut out and stopped, lights come on but engine not turning over
couple of display messages come up - display malfunction visit workshop, ESP inoperative see owners manual and water level warning
when ignition is turned on the fan races and the water level light will turn to red and says stop engine (even though the engine is cold)

any help would by much appreciated

thanks

Loose battery connections?

either on terminals or earth lead

Welcome aboard my suggestion is you give him back his C class and carry on using your E, have you opened the bonnet and checked anything,suggest you see if the engine has any oil in it for a start come back on here when you have done that.

Hi, thanks for your quick replies,
battery connections are all good, engine has oil and all fluid levels are correct

What about an M271 cam chain failure ? Get the fault codes read

Alternator or brush pack?

On a car of that age I'd be looking at the earth strap between engine and chassis. It should be towards the rear of the engine, somewhere by the bellhousing. The terminals can corrode and the strap itself can dissolve.

The OP hasn't logged on since the day he posted so I doubt we'll find out the cause or the solution.

Another vote for an earth lead break. Between battery and engine block first. If you have a multimeter, set to measure DC voltage and place one probe on the battery negative terminal and the other on the block. Then have someone try to operate the starter. Voltage should always show zero. If you measure anything then find and repair the earth lead. Whilst you have the meter out, check the battery voltage too.

Edit - Just noted this thread is several months old - Will leave the above for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom