Car Kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe_SP

Car
2013 E250 & 1999 M3
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with 'non installed' bluetooth car kits? My wife has a co car and is not allowed to have a hardwired kit installed. I have seen som that plug into the cigarette lighter, are they any good?

TIA

Joe

I bought one that clips to the sun visor for my wife's old Audi A4. I figured the microphone is nearer the driver's head that way.

It was on special offer for £19.99 at Carphone Warehouse (back in October), it's a neat little thing and seems to work OK. It has an internal lithium ion battery which lasts for ages ... you charge it up from the cigarette lighter when it gets low.

Parrot do one which clips to the visor and is brilliant

Parrot do one which clips to the visor and is brilliant

I have the Parrot one in each car and would second the recommendation

Batteries last for weeks unless used heavily and the sound quality is excellent.

Beware the cheap ones, the noice cancelling gubbins they don't have (and poor battery) is important. The Parrot ones came out in several tests as the best by a mile.

Yep

That's the one

Really would recommend them - and that's a good price!

I drive a Sprinter Van. For anyone who doesn't know, they are quite noisy. Is this unit any good for it???

i think it might have been tesco doing the parrot one for £40

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with 'non installed' bluetooth car kits? My wife has a co car and is not allowed to have a hardwired kit installed. I have seen som that plug into the cigarette lighter, are they any good?

TIA

Joe

If your wife's co are forbidding the fitment of a 'proper' kit , or not supplying any equipment at all , your wife would be perfectly entitled to refuse to have the phone turned on at all whilst driving . Companies do now have a responsibility to ensure that employees do not use handheld phones whilst driving company vehicles ( or their own vehicles on company business ) . THEY should pay for equipment of whatever type if they require your wife to be contactable whilst driving .

Having said the above , my sister got an 'all in one' unit from Tesco which plugged into the lighter and had an external mic which could be clipped onto the visor or wherever convenient - seemed to work OK.

Some satnav units ( certain TomTom models for example ) have built in Bluetooth and function as a handsfree kit too .

If your wife's co are forbidding the fitment of a 'proper' kit , or not supplying any equipment at all , your wife would be perfectly entitled to refuse to have the phone turned on at all whilst driving . Companies do now have a responsibility to ensure that employees do not use handheld phones whilst driving company vehicles ( or their own vehicles on company business ) . THEY should pay for equipment of whatever type if they require your wife to be contactable whilst driving .

Having said the above , my sister got an 'all in one' unit from Tesco which plugged into the lighter and had an external mic which could be clipped onto the visor or wherever convenient - seemed to work OK.

Some satnav units ( certain TomTom models for example ) have built in Bluetooth and function as a handsfree kit too .

You are right, it is forbidden to use her work phone while driving. However she spends 2.5 hours a day commuting and uses her personal mobile loads.

We are going to give the parrot a try I think.

Cheers

Joe

I've just picked up a 20 quid one from Halfords that has the essential thing for driving while talking - a separate microphone. Mounting that as close to the driver as possible (mine's on the A pillar) is essential. I've had both parrot and sony ericsson visor mount things and they're never charged when you need them and too quiet and tinny for both ends to be clearly heard.

This has been the best so far. PM me your phone number and I'll call you from it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom