Car lands in home's upper floor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4493713.stm

Car lands in home's upper floor

Two people have been injured - one seriously - after a car "took off" and smashed into the top floor of a house.
The injured people, who were in the car, were taken to hospital after the crash just before midnight on Wednesday, in Basingstoke, Hampshire.

Police are investigating exactly how the car crashed into the upstairs wall, after going out of control on the A30.

The occupants escaped uninjured as they were asleep in another bedroom of the house when the red BMW hit their home.

A police spokeswoman said that one man was found in a passenger seat and the other man, who they believe could be the driver, was found under the front wheels.

Joyce Harman told BBC News how she and her husband Joe were woken by the crash.

"It was just horrendous," she said.

"My husband thought the dog had knocked something over downstairs but as he got to the bedroom door he could see the hole in the wall and all the furniture moved.

"That's when we came downstairs and saw the car there."

'Absolutely incredible'

The Harman's have been told they will not be able to live in their home for at least two months and that it will have to be partially rebuilt.

The damaged room was their study, which used to be their children's bedroom.

The couple's neighbour, George Harrison, said what had happened was "just absolutely incredible."

"The fence has been knocked down and the car's gone through a pathway, a signpost, a tree and the front lawn.

"How this happened I shall never know."

A Hampshire Police spokesperson said the red BMW lost control on a bend of the nearby A30, hit the kerb and "launched through the air, colliding with the first floor of a house in Rainbow Close."

"A full investigation has been launched into the circumstances of the crash and how the vehicle collided with the first floor," she said.

Officers have not yet dismissed reports that a third person may have been driving the car.

They are trying to trace the vehicle's registered owner, but it was not reported stolen at the time of the crash.

The injured people have not been named.

_41086775_carinhouse203.jpg
_41086757_holeinhouse203.jpg

Erm, how? :)

:crazy: scary!! :eek:

One of my lecturers died in a similar fashion in 2003... difference was the car was a 4x4 and the driver thought she was reversing when she accelerated.... or so she says...

I drove past it today on my way to the VW dealer, wondered what all the cameras and tape were.

Then on the way back to work I saw the hole..... very long set of skid marks and much damage on the kerb and garden - from my motorsport experience I guess they was travelling in excess of the motorway speend limit as the skid trail was over 100m long...

How on earth did one end up under the front wheels!!!??? :eek:

Stu

""My husband thought the dog had knocked something over downstairs"

Jeeez, what kind of dog do they have? :eek:

Simon said:
It had to be a BMW!

Busted My Wall :)

Is it something to do with BMW Drivers.????

Wasn't this one a BMW too???

Attachments

• 2wallPA_350x250.jpg
    2wallPA_350x250.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 145
When I read the headline my first thought was " I bet that turns out to be a BMW".

Why is that?

Is it down to bitter experience?

Are they just conforming to their Alpha Male stereo types, or proving the point?

Philosophical questions that probably have no business being aired on this forum.

I'll get my coat!

Cars do not end up embedded on walls/houses bythemsleves - obviouisly 2 morans in the car were up to no good! As Richard suggested, they had to be for sure seriously exceeding the motorway speed limit. They must have been on "something...". They deserve everything they get as they could have killed the occupants of the house - makes me angry.

Flash

Oh Yeah, they must have travelling at hellover lick, and how did they manage the Dukes of Hazzard leap into the second floor of the house? Truly Bizaar.

As you say, good job no one was in that room at the time.

I had a BMW :eek: until..

About 5-6 years ago I was driving across a 'mini' roundabout at about 30mph when someone entered from the left and clipped the nearside rear behind the wheels.

This had the effect of steering the car straight towards the kerb and a lowish garden wall. There was no time to think or brake - the car hit the kerb and launched into the air and cleared the wall rather like a tired steeplechaser - the rear came down onto it - then the car hit the house wall [no hole] and finished wedged between the porch and a tree, so neither driver nor passenger could get out of the front doors...

At first neither of us had any idea how it had happened, until a rather tearful young lady and her boyfriend came over to say how sorry she was, she hadn't seen us :confused:

One of those days when you wish you had your camera :rolleyes:

They must have been travelling very fast to make a 7 series take off..... thats one heavy car....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom