Car loosing power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redeemedson

Car
Merc E320 CDI Estate
Please I need some help here. My X reg E Class Estate 320 CDI was driving very very well on M25 yesterday when I bought it. I drove from Guildford to Kent and journey was more than 1hr, only to get to my destination, and car began to vibrate and loose power/acceleration. before I knew it, my car began to crawl on main road displaying message saying "check battery/alternator". next thing messages started appearing one after the other showing "ABS, ESP, SRS "5 faults recorded". strange thing is that an hour earlier, there were "no faults recorded" displayed on screen. This was all sudden. The car then died off and now cannot start without a jump lead. The previous owners said they bought new battery 2 months ago before I bought it.
so can anyone help me? I'd really appreciate your advice

HI,reckon you need to get the alternator checked.

Basically the battery has lost all capacity to keep the car alive!
A failed alternator ( this keeps the battery charged up) is the obvious cause.
If your power steering was also lost then it could be a failed belt
So.........
1. Alternator failed
2. Alternator one way pulley self destructed
3. Poly v belt snapped/ given up the ghost due to other factors, one of them being scenario 2.

Anything else is unlikely

Check to see if you have a regulator pack on the back of the alternator. Two screws and its out. If the brushes are shot that will save you big bucks getting a new pack.

If unsure get a volt meter and check that you have 14vdc min at the battery with engine running if not you have no charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom