Car making loud droning after insurance crash repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It also gets a bit more tricky if the repairer got you to sign a "satisfaction note" before taking it away....as most do. Insurance companies love using that one as a get out....

It also gets a bit more tricky if the repairer got you to sign a "satisfaction note" before taking it away....as most do. Insurance companies love using that one as a get out....
Yes, and its standard operating practice, unless you dig in your heels and say that you want your own independent assessor / engineer to verify that all is well, and that can be a tad expensive. The main point though is there being visible signs of impact damage on the wheel. And unless that's noted in their engineers report, its a very sticky wicket. They will plead normal wear on the bearings.

Yes, and its standard operating practice, unless you dig in your heels and say that you want your own independent assessor / engineer to verify that all is well, and that can be a tad expensive. The main point though is there being visible signs of impact damage on the wheel. And unless that's noted in their engineers report, its a very sticky wicket. They will plead normal wear on the bearings.
Car has done 20k and is 3 years old. I wouldn't normally expect bearings to need replacement at this age. Especially rear on a FWD car.

They dropped off when we weren't in and posted through the letter box, so no signature.
So get on to your insurance company and tell them it’s not been repaired to a satisfactory standard, tell them about the noise and say you want it sorted immediately otherwise a hire car will be require.

I am to a degree a passenger in this. I've advised Mrs Greedy of the above, but she's only willing to deal directly with the repairing garage and will be dropping the car off TO THEM on Saturday morning.

I have also suggested she raise with the insurance company a reluctance to drive the vehicle due to concern over safety until this resolved due to potential for wheel bearing seizure.

I have also suggested she raise with the insurance company a reluctance to drive the vehicle due to concern over safety until this resolved due to potential for wheel bearing seizure.
I doubt very much that the bearing will seize. Much more likely if it fails catastrophically is to jettison the wheel, hub, and brake disc....

I am to a degree a passenger in this. I've advised Mrs Greedy of the above, but she's only willing to deal directly with the repairing garage and will be dropping the car off TO THEM on Saturday morning.

Uhoh that sounds like you will have a bill on collection there

Update: thankfully due to get more messing around by the garage and apparently not being able to provide a hire car for a week and Mrs Greedy 'having to collect it from Enterprise at the nearest airport, she got effed off with the garage and was inclined to deal directly with her insurer. Now a hire car will come tomorrow and her car will get picked up tomorrow. It does make me worried that this 'authorised repairer' of the insurance company is a right cowboy outfit looking to pull the wool however they can. Probably also by doing a rubbish repair. I need to try and encourage the request of all the alignment reports so we can actually see what readings they've bothered to take and what the readings were.

I need to try and encourage the request of all the alignment reports so we can actually see what readings they've bothered to take and what the readings were.

Are you still convinced that the noise is due to the alignment being out ?

As previously stated , it would need to be seriously "out" (and very visibly out) to cause the noise you describe.

K

Car has done 20k and is 3 years old. I wouldn't normally expect bearings to need replacement at this age. Especially rear on a FWD car.
No MrGreedy, neither would I, not in a 3 year old car with 20'000. But even so, an impact on one side severe enough to damage the bearings on the other, would surely leave evidence? Where the wheel was pushed against the kerb? The only way to really check if it is in fact the bearings would be to jack it up and spin the wheel, which is not too difficult, and it will be heard then. My whole point MrGreedy, is to try and save you bother and strife ( not to mention cash) Insurance company's can be very inventive when it comes to ways to limit the cash they pay out, and if the Garage who did the estimate did not include it, then the assessor will not look at it. It was SOP for me when I was in the business to include as standard in every estimate I ever did the following line:- "Estimate only, final figures only after completion and road test." So by any chance were you given a copy of the estimate? If it does not mention the P/S road wheel , but contain's the " Subject to final check and road test", No problem. And despite the 3 years and 20K mileage, they could claim it was normal wear and tear, and in the absence of any visible damage to prove it was caused by the impact, you could be on a sticky wicket and liable for any repair costs. Personally before involving either Insurance or Garage, if at all possible, I'd try and get it jacked up0, spin the wheel, and see if there's any visible damage to account for the noise. Best of luck with it. Its a strange thing with accidents like this... the amount of hassle it can cause the innocent person.

The insurance company were obviously not happy that all required work was carried out, especially as we provided this droning noise since crash as one of the main issues to be investigated prior to the first collection. It feels like Direct Line are on our side in getting this resolved, and why shouldn't they be when Aviva have had their driver admit fault. Fingers crossed this second visit sorts it.

I'll still push for the alignment reports though.

If it was me, I would have gone down the route of selecting my own repairer straight off the bat and claiming from the 3rd party, but that's more hassle so isn't for everyone (most people).

If it was me, I would have gone down the route of selecting my own repairer straight off the bat and claiming from the 3rd party, but that's more hassle so isn't for everyone (most people).
FWIW, in the aftermath of the crash that caused my BMW K1600GT motorcycle to be written off, the insurance company (and the bike was insured under the BMW Scheme!) wanted to ship it to "their approved repairer" for "assessment and repair". I told them I wanted it shipped to my local BMW Motorrad dealer, which led to them emphasising how it would slow the process down, may cost me money, etc. I thanked them for their concern and their final shot was that while they would collect it and take it to their repairer at their cost (it was unrideable), I would have to have it transported to my dealer at my own cost.

Motor insurers really, really, want you to use their own "approved" repairer network.

FWIW, I used BMW's equivalent of Mobilo to transport it so it cost me nothing.

The insurance company were obviously not happy that all required work was carried out, especially as we provided this droning noise since crash as one of the main issues to be investigated prior to the first collection. It feels like Direct Line are on our side in getting this resolved, and why shouldn't they be when Aviva have had their driver admit fault. Fingers crossed this second visit sorts it.

I'll still push for the alignment reports though.

The repairer, insurance approved or not, had to provide a written estimate to the insurers , itemizing the work needed, part's and labour cost's etc. ( you should have received a copy of this too) Then the Insurance assessor would jointly inspect the damaged vehicle, and agree repairs. Only then would the repaired get the Green Light to go ahead with the repairs. So all of this should be available to you as owner of the damaged vehicle. Then there could be no fiddly business as to who is responsible for what.

Ah, more follow up to this.

So, on the 2nd drop off from the repairers, the droning has now gone, but there is:

- something on the bonnet, either thick tree sap or paint lacquer. The repairing garage is now claiming that occurred in the 1 day between them dropping the car off the 1st time and collecting it the 2nd time.
- the air con is definitely not working properly. They did de-gas and re-gas according to the work report, but the vents aren't blowing correctly and a vent flap motor reset doesn't work and the aircon isn't really cold. The garage is saying the aircon is not their problem because the car was hit from behind, so it can't have possibly affected the aircon (you will see in my very first post I had noted something wrong with the aircon and it was making a funny noise after the crash).
- the parking sensors occasionally beep and come on whilst pulling up to a stop or near stop. This is in traffic, moving. They never did this before. We drove 130 miles yesterday, and they did it about 10 times on the journey, so not every slow or stop by any means, but way more than they should.

My preference would be (given that the garage has had the car twice and is refusing to do the work for the other items) that we try and convince the insurer to now go via VW. I don't understand what the reluctance is to repair a car correctly where the other party admitted full liability (driving into the rear of a parked, unoccupied car, witnessed by me standing next to it).

Can anyone offer any advice about how to get this sorted whilst I hope avoiding the cowboy outfit that is refusing to do the work?
Do we need to write to Direct Line stating exactly what we want to happen?
Or because the first cowboys have now been engaged, are we stuck with them?

And apparently VW don't have hire cars, so if you use VW, "you can't have a hire car whilst your car is being repaired".

Couldn't make this up.

Further update:

Mrs Greedy spoken to insurer. They *can't* (won't) allow the car to be moved on to VW, because unless the approved insurer repairing garage raises a form stating they don't have the ability to correct the work, then it *can't* be passed on.
So Mrs Greedy's insurance company have put the ball back in her court to duke it out direct with the approved insurer's repairing garage, and to try to get them to either take the car back and try and fix it, or raise the escalation stating they can't repair it.

As evidenced by the 'quality' of work so far, I am deeply skeptical about said generic body shop's ability to conduct the necessary fault finding and pin point the issues on the parking sensors and the aircon.
I doubt they have dedicated VWG mail dealer scanning capability, and they will just report they can't find any fault.

I can see this is going to roll on for months.

Contact your insurer, ask for email address of the complaints dept.
Email them with all the details, demand that the car has satisfactory repairs, as this has not been done by their approved repairer.
Suggest that they get it moved to a VW garage, tell them the next step if you are not fully satisfied will be the insurance ombudsman (and does your policy have legal cover, it may be useful to chat to a lawyer too).

point out a proper repair will ultimately be cheaper than a legal case for them :cool:

Further update:
Car now back from repairer for 3rd or 4th time.

Aircon condenser replaced, but again, after 3 or 4 days, it can't keep the car cool today driving round at 23 degs outside but sunny.

Car still twitch over about 40mph. Including sweeping corners and changing lanes on motorway.

Where the rear quarter paint blends in, there are pain drops that haven't flattened correctly during spraying.

Didn't see this initially and didn't do 'a detailed inspection of the work', plus the company returning the car won't take it back when they drop it off. There is severe misalignment between the impacted quarter bumper and the boot, by about 1cm. On the passenger side, the boot is flush with the bumper. On the driver's side, the bumper stick out past the boot shut line.

I'm going to speak with insurer tonight after Mrs Greedy hands me over with permission, and insist on the VW repair. If they refuse, then I'll just go straight to complaints department.

Seeing as the crasher's insurance have fessed up with the cash straight away, why is this so hard to get fixed!?

Hi , really sorry about the issues you are having with your repaired car.

Many many years ago my mother had a Datsun Sunny and had an accident with a Skoda being driven by an elderly gentleman.

Lucky a Police Patrol car witnessed the accident.

Every panel on the car was bent but the Insurance Company insisted that the car should be repaired / it was only a week old.

The loss adjuster appeared and looked at the car , laughted and wrote the car off.

The insurance company told my mother she could have a new car but insisted that it came from a preferred supplier : no was my mother's reply : this is my preferred supplier.

My mother purchased her replacement car and waited and waited for her cheque to appear.

One month later still no payment and found out who the financial director and rang him up.He was not available but spoke a PA and told enquired / asked if the company was insolvent.

Told the PA her tale of woe and the cheque was received the next day by special courier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom