Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Drivetrain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Engine

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Springbok

Car
W209 CLK 280
If you've modified, improved your car, which of the following did you do first?

With mine being a CDi went for a remap first and today just had a set of Eibach springs fitted. Wheels make a massive difference but i already had a nice set of AMG wheels so was happy with them..

Notified insurance on or just before each stage.

Wheels, remap, grille, spoiler, diffuser, exhaust, DRL upgrade, mirrors suspension, front lip, diffuser again, mirrors again... not sure what next.

Soon after getting my 43 I had decided that it would eventually end up with a 55 engine, but I replaced the suspension, brakes, Interior inc. ICE, structure, 55 conversion with Gearbox and TC refurb, exhaust, respray, and finally a remap.

For me the very first 'mod' was a decent alarm system

the internet is full of " BWAAAHAAA - HAD MY MODIFIED CAR STOLEN"

And it comes out they spent 5 - 10K on mods but sweet f.a on securing it.

Twits

I don't really do proper modding although I understand why people do.

If it's not a new car, then I would usually change these four things, in this order:
(1) New tyres
(2) New fluids and service
(3) New mobile phone cradle, and
(4) New satnav disc

Good tyres can transform the feel of a car and give you the confidence that there's no unseen damage.

How sad is someone when they got all sorts of mods ready but no car to put them on yet :eek:

I was preparing to have a pithy remark about how people were trying to make their car looks more ( or less ) expensive.

But I'm glad to say, that so far it appears that the first items done are tyres/wheels and engine. It appears that we're mostly proper petrol heads!

Good to see that the focus is on going and stopping

Especially if they are true and round ;).

Very good :rolleyes: Keep 'em coming :D:D:D

I actually have only modified one car. I lowered my old E class on Eibach springs and Bilstein B12 dampers.

This did improve the driving characteristics of the car but sadly getting the alignment sorted was a bit of a pain and I got it just within spec and no more but the level of negative camber would mean tyre life would be deminished.

The car also seemed to bottom out on the undulating road surfaces up here.

When you have a good car and it comes sorted out of the factory, you needn't bother with fripperies like fitting wheels that come off a superior model or fitting suspension that was not designed for the car unless you are the sort where cosmetic importance takes over.

Wheels are personal choice but I got "over" fitting bigger ones after the cost of tyres on my 221 drove me round the twist.

I wouldn't do it again. The stigma of modified cars these days is not great.

Wheels are personal choice but I got "over" fitting bigger ones after the cost of tyres on my 221 drove me round the twist.

I wouldn't do it again. The stigma of modified cars these days is not great.

It's easy to get hooked on mods - a bit like chasing hifi nirvana - and just as expensive.

I always consider resale when making changes (and insurance) and have, therefore, kept my 18's as the 19's aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom