Car not repaired!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza9911

Car
Mercedes CLK 320 (2001)
Hi folks

my engine light came on last week - I took it to a local garage for a diagnosis.

He put on the computer and said it was a missfire on cyl 6

he replaced 12 plugs and leads at a cost of £355 - 70miles driving and the same fault occured

The question is - does he repair at no extra cost or do I pay for extra parts or pay for extra parts and labour?

I havnt spoken to the guy yet, I just need to know where I stand on things not sorted

cheers

Hi Corned

the origional plugs were the wrong ones - I needed platinum ones

no I didn't authorize the work,

Gary

Take it back, Its simply not acceptable, the problem is still there, so he fixed nothing.

Hi,
I don,t agree, the fault was repaired allbeit for only seventy miles.
I question the bill as I don,t think all 12 leads should have been replaced if the fault was only on cylinder 6, unless the owner approved it. I think some of the leads must of broke when he removed the caps to change the plugs.
Have you still got, or know what plugs were in the car before he replaced them?

The plugs were 'cheep plugs - standard', not the platinum ones needed. That's why he changed all 12. I don't have the plugs but he did show me them (a plug is a plug to me!) The leads were about £50 + vat for the full set.

The correct cheapest plugs i found for the 320 were all platinum, the more expensive being Irridium.
£50+VAT that is very very cheap for a set of 12 leads for a 320,

thanks for the replys guys - but should he charge to diagnose find something else to pay for ?????

A professional would always change all of the leads rather than one for the simple reason that if one has failed its not unlikely that the other will soon follow. However, original merc leads are extremely reliable, and usually only the cap(s) requires replacing. If pattern leads were fitted then I would always recommend replacing them all with original BEFORE I would even begin to assess any other issues.

I think some of the leads must of broke when he removed the caps to change the plugs.

And what evidence do you have to support such an accusation?
The trouble with all forums is that too many people have their finger hovering over the "whinge" button.....

I don't mind paying for 12 plugs and 12 leads if they fixed the problem the issue is it's the same now as it was before £355 ago!!!

Just give the workshop a call and see what they say.

Its the reaction to a scenario like this which differentiates the good from the really really good.

Hi folks

my engine light came on last week - I took it to a local garage for a diagnosis.

He put on the computer and said it was a missfire on cyl 6

he replaced 12 plugs and leads at a cost of £355 - 70miles driving and the same fault occured

The question is - does he repair at no extra cost or do I pay for extra parts or pay for extra parts and labour?

I havnt spoken to the guy yet, I just need to know where I stand on things not sorted

cheers
Make sure the fault was diagnosed on star(mercedes diagnostic system)as by what you've said i doubt it,if you keep letting someone change different parts until they solve the problem it will end up costing you a lot of money,good luck.

The trouble with all forums is that too many people have their finger hovering over the "whinge" button.....

Oh you dirty dirty dog, if i had a penny for everytime !

A professional would always change all of the leads rather than one for the simple reason that if one has failed its not unlikely that the other will soon follow. However, original merc leads are extremely reliable, and usually only the cap(s) requires replacing. If pattern leads were fitted then I would always recommend replacing them all with original BEFORE I would even begin to assess any other issues.

Because the leads breaking is quite common issue on these engines they can be repaired but a lot don,t bother. MB leads are very reliable mine on the V8 have done 150K miles now, I agree you would normally replace in a set, but if i was diagnosing this problem i would of swapped out the leads from one coil to another and see if the fault followed then i would now what needed to be replaced being able to give an accurate price for diagnosis, rectification and any advised work, to the customer
A proffessional would advise the customer before replacing all the leads, would he not?

Just give the workshop a call and see what they say.

Its the reaction to a scenario like this which differentiates the good from the really really good.

Good Advice --- I went to see him this morning - he advised he moved the coil from cyl 6 to cyl 4 - then checked it on the computer, sure enough fault on cyl 4 (he said he would pay for the coil and fit it free) --

:bannana:Good result:bannana:

I wasn't clear in my post.
IF the diagnosis of a failed LEAD is correct, which is very unusual on original Merc leads, then ALL of the leads should be changed.
Certainly one would hope that a competent garage would be able to differentiate between a failed lead and a failed coil.
The least one can hope for in the event of a misdiagnosis is that the garage are honest enough to admit it and put things right, which this garage seems to have done, so let's look on the bright side shall we?

There are many, many honest guys out there trying to make a living without ripping people off, but too many people on here who are hell-bent on slagging someone off without evidence.

I've yet to see a complainant or finger pointer invite the accused to come on here and post their defence. Mind you, I wouldn't blame them if they refused anyway. They're probably too busy doing their best to fix someone's car who insists on the work being completed in record time with a miniscule bill to follow.

Good Advice --- I went to see him this morning - he advised he moved the coil from cyl 6 to cyl 4 - then checked it on the computer, sure enough fault on cyl 4 (he said he would pay for the coil and fit it free) --

:bannana:Good result:bannana:

I'd say his costs for the coil were more than covered in his fees for the plug work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom