Car park bumper scrape.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I misjudged the gap by about 1 cm when swinging into a parking spot at the supermarket the other day & scraped the bumper of the car in the next spot. Can anybody tell me what they think this will cost to fix? No cracks, no deformity, seems to be about 70-80% silver Mercedes paint transfer. Second picture has big reflections of white road markings. Refer to pic #1 for size etc.

TIA.

I misjudged the gap by about 1 cm when swinging into a parking spot at the supermarket the other day & scraped the bumper of the car in the next spot. Can anybody tell me what they think this will cost to fix? No cracks, no deformity, seems to be about 70-80% silver Mercedes paint transfer. Second picture has big reflections of white road markings. Refer to pic #1 for size etc.

Ideally I'd like to settle this without getting my insurance co. involved so am looking for guidance on what a body shop or paintless repair guy would charge.

Does anyone know if there's a £ amount threshold for claims below which a no claims bonus would not be affected?

Ideally I'd like to settle this without getting my insurance co. involved so am looking for guidance on what a body shop or paintless repair guy would charge.

Does anyone know if there's a £ amount threshold for claims below which a no claims bonus would not be affected?
I think you’d need to pay cash without insurance involvement to avoid it affecting future premium. I would say you would have change out of £200 for a quality job.

Wouldn't that just polish out if its just paint transfer? A bit of cutting compound / TCut should do the trick I imagine!
That’s a very good point if your finger nail doesn’t “catch”in the scratch then it will likely polish out.

I think there's a small 'catch' as you drag a nail across it, though it's not deep IIRC.

Any claim will knock your NCD. If that was my car you hit I wouldn't be happy with a T-cut job. I've been messed around as a victim by people wanting to go without notifying insurance. So I end up getting my insurer to claim off their insurer. You'll have to do a proper repair for him.

If you use a local repair guy check him out,my local one is very poor,I would not let him spray a kids bike,on here a few months ago we had one of these mobile repair guys repair and spray a door in the wrong colour.

I done something similar on my W213. The only difference was it was my fence post I caught, so only myself involved. I had a smart repair done, costing £150, and it was a great job. Not noticeable at all. When I sold the car 2 years later to WBAC, they were desperately trying to find paint chips/blemishes in order to reduce their initial offer and they did not detect the repair. It will all come down to finding the right person for the job.

£450 quoted for the repair!

Now the question is, do I go through insurance or my own pocket? Insurance premium on my car is under £200p.a. fully comp with 10+ years NCB.

Thoughts?

Scrap it mr 204 c63 hater from back in the day

Thoughts?
I assume that you have "protected" NCD? If that's the case then your NCD will be unaffected by a claim, but your insurer will probably load your premium at renewal, and should you be unfortunate enough to make a second claim in the next 5(?) years any NCD protection is likely to lapse.

Did you tell the body shop that you would be paying, or do they expect it to be an insurance job? That may have an influence on price. Also, is the third party happy to "lose" their car for a day while the work is done, or are they expecting a loan / rental car?

If the body shop is amenable to a bit of negotiation on price and the third party isn't expecting a loan car while theirs is being repaired, I'd be inclined to swallow hard and pay up.

I don't have protected NCB.

Body shop know I'm possibly paying.

No mention of loan car from anyone. Texts clearly state my option to pay a total of £450 or call my ins. co.

I don't have protected NCB.

Body shop know I'm possibly paying.

No mention of loan car from anyone. Texts clearly state my option to pay a total of £450 or call my ins. co.
£450 looks very expensive but don't forget that your insurance policy probably has an excess of £250 or more which you would have to pay. I would get another quote and not involve your insurance co.

Texts clearly state my option to pay a total of £450 or call my ins. co.
I'm not clear: is that what you've received from the third party? And did the repair quote come from the body shop you recommended?

In the absence of protected NCD you need to do the maths regarding the delta in premium for the next 3 or so years, plus any excess you're liable for.

The quote sounds a little on the high side, so it may be worth getting another - but that will require the cooperation of the third party. If you do decide to go ahead and fund it from your own pocket, make sure that the third party signs a declaration that they accept your offer in full and final settlement of any liability they hold you for.

If hes not car mad , smart repair £120 ish, or 300 for a bodyshop. The smart repair would not be good for me. Its just maths, how much will it cost across all insurances for the next 5 years or so against costs to get rid of him. Be warned if you bung him he could phone his insurance anyway.

I'm not clear: is that what you've received from the third party? And did the repair quote come from the body shop you recommended?

In the absence of protected NCD you need to do the maths regarding the delta in premium for the next 3 or so years, plus any excess you're liable for.

The quote sounds a little on the high side, so it may be worth getting another - but that will require the cooperation of the third party. If you do decide to go ahead and fund it from your own pocket, make sure that the third party signs a declaration that they accept your offer in full and final settlement of any liability they hold you for.
This, but you would need a witness/photo absolute proof and is it actually going to stand up? its just words on a sheet of A4, how you feel about the man is your guide here.

I mean if he decalares on his renewal what questions do they ask? who bumped ya? what were they driving? where does that info go, they are all talking to each other behind the scenes??????????? the ins companies i mean

Apparently the scratch is right down through the primer where crease is so it's a bumper off job.

"Texts clearly state my option to pay a total of £450 or call my ins. co." That's what's in the text I sent him that he has agreed to.

I recommended the body shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom