Car Park Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 estate
Took my daughter swimming as usual this morning and as we returned to the car I noticed some moron had parked next to my car. Nothing unusual about this other than the fact I had parked miles away from any other cars and the section of car park I was in was completely empty apart from my car and this crappy vectra.
As we neared my worst fears were confirmed, from 50yds away I could already make out the dent on the rear passenger door of my car. My heart sank and my daughter asked me not to squeeze her hand so tight as it was hurting. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, no other cars around and this pratt parks next to my car and dents the bloody door. I contemplated setting about the car with my 90mm 3-core swa cable I keep handy in the boot but I didn't think my daughter would think much of it.
I took photos using my phone and then left a note asking them to ring my office tommorrow and leave me their insurance details so I could make a claim.
I doubt they will ring but what can I do? Is the insurance company going to do anything or should I just get it done myself. It's a nasty dent and a deep set of scratches right in the middle of the door.
Why are some people so bloody stupid :mad: :mad: :mad:

You experienced my worst nightmare. Everytime I go somewhere, people want to park next to me in empty car parks!

Could always start the claim process with your insurance company, they will probably be able to do something if you have the car's make/model/colour and plate info.

i pulled up in a petrol station the other day - the bint in the car that pulled up next to me opened her door to knock my car (theres a few dents on that side anyway) - i was annoyed - but said nothing - it was very light.

the second time she banged into me - i wound the passenger side down - and shouted at her -"the first time is an accident - the second time you knock my car is just plain 'f**ing ignorance - take some care of other peoples property"

she looked v sheepish...

but then that side of my car is pretty shabby anyway - so i wasnt terribly worried...

It'll probably be a struggle to claim off them but at least you know who to blame. Nobody was parked near me when I discovered my front bumper with several scratches down the side of it, all they left me was their burgandy paint marks.

I think Ive posted this before. If its a freeby car park?, yes park at the furthest (but still secure) end but take up two spaces, parking at 45 degrees across. Reverse in therfore presenting one of your bumper corners as the item which would take the knock. A knock such as this is more likely to damage the other sides door than your bumper. If its a Pay and Display?. Buy two tickets. If all else fails try and get an end slot and place your wheels right on the last white line so giving you the greatest distance between your door and any others door.

Portzy.

I doubt you will have much joy in a successful outcome unless you have witnesses who can verify that they saw the "Defendant" smack their door against your car. Without witnesses I doubt that it will even get to Court as the Defendant's Legal Team would argue for you to "strictly prove" that it was him/her who damaged/dented your car.

Same happened to me in one of my MBs with me being sat inside at the time - was fortunate enough to have 3 independant witnesses and it was still hard work when matter was taken to Court.

Sorry to be negaitive but I doubt your insurance company would take the matter any further if you were to make a claim througn them as they would most likely consider your claim as a "write off" i.e. not spend more money on Legal Costs as likely hood of recovering the costs would be low without any witnesses.

Good luck though if you do decide to go down that route.

Flash

marcos said:
I doubt they will ring but what can I do? Is the insurance company going to do anything or should I just get it done myself. It's a nasty dent and a deep set of scratches right in the middle of the door.
Why are some people so bloody stupid :mad: :mad: :mad:

How ignorant. I would be fuming. The sad thing is that unless this person admits to doing it, then you are onto a looser. The Police will not want to know and sadly it is your word against theirs that they did indeed cause the damage.

There are some decent people out there and maybe this driver 'might' be one of them, but do not hold your breath.

Take care,
John

The last time that kind of incident happened to me, I waited for the perpetrator to turn up so that I could confront them in person. We settled privately but I still let my insurance company know the details and they were happy for me and the third party to settle privately but were also willing to provide me back-up incase she reneged on the deal. I got the ding repaired by Dent-Wizard and she paid the bill. It took her ages and mucho chasing from me but she paid eventually.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6852

*EDIT* Good luck in getting yours sorted, I would notify you insurance company anyways. Check how much the ding will cost to repair and then make the decision of whether you want to foot the bill or the insurance. Unfortunately I doubt you'll hear from the driver of the offending vehicle, he'll just throw away and ignore your note and hope that you 'go away'. Your insurance company maybe in a better position to pursue them if you have car details and especially vehicle reg.

S.

Last edited:
Well the lady in question rang me today in the office to tell me that I had ruined her Sunday with my note. Couldn't really work that out as the note was quite polite and it was my car that was damaged :confused:
She reckons she didn't hit my car so I pointed out I had photos and her paint was on my car. She asked how much the repair was going to cost and when I pointed out that I would take it to the Mercedes dealer to look at she was quite upset, said it would cost loads being a bloody Merecedes and why if I had a car that nice did I take it to car parks, I pointed out it was parked no where near any other cars in the empty bit of the car park and she remembered parking next to it because she thought my car would be nicked and not hers. :confused: :confused:
Any way she rang back this afternoon and was very polite and gave me her name and number and said when I get the quote to contact her and let her know.

We shall see what happens ;)

marcos said:
Well the lady in question rang me today in the office to tell me that I had ruined her Sunday with my note. Couldn't really work that out as the note was quite polite and it was my car that was damaged :confused:

Brilliant and I must confess unexpected news. You must really have some half decent people that dent car doors.

Good luck with your communications,
John

Bloomin amazing!!! I would have kicked her door or run my key in a swirling motion across the drivers door (they'd remember it everytime they got in). Not that i'm vindictive or anything :), just been too polite in my life now im kind of on a street justice ethos. But, you must be well chuffed! Lets hope she pays up and learns a lesson from this.

You're lucky and unlucky in a way that it was a lady. Lucky that being female she had an ounce of a conscience, how many men would have called? But unlucky that being a woman she was so ditzy to do it in the first place, no spacial awareness.

I dont think its possible to prevent something like that happening whilst enjoying the fact that you own a Merc. Its gutting though when other people take absolutely no care of your property. Little things annoy me like passengers leaving half eaten food in the car or finding someone leaning against it with their foot planted flat on the bodywork. Although, im not much of a stickler for people slamming the doors when they get in or out. But fingerprints on the inside of windows can send me fuming, front and rear windscreens being trigger points.

Ok venting over, had to get that off my chest!

Good outcome :) I hope you can sort it :) I use one of the public carparks in bracknell sometimes... I drive all the way to the top floor, and park there.There are never more than 5 cars up there but they always park next to me :mad: So now I park length ways across the entire set of four bays :)

( having had a friendly chat with one of the attendemts who also keeps an eye on it for me :D )

marcos said:
and why if I had a car that nice did I take it to car parks,

What an idiot!!!!! These are the same sort of people who think getting taxed at 50% is ok because we earn so much anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom