Car prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrrco

MB Enthusiast
Car
X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car... & W202 C200
Just been watching an old Top Gear where Clarkson was doing a "serious" test of the Ford Fiesta for the famous Mr Needham.

When he discusses price, he says that it starts from £8,000, with the most popular mid-range 1.6l model at £11,000.

List prices now, just under 12 years later, start at £17k, with the equivalent model to his test drive coming in at £21k.

Mercedeses look an absolute bargain in comparison...

Just been watching an old Top Gear where Clarkson was doing a "serious" test of the Ford Fiesta for the famous Mr Needham.

When he discusses price, he says that it starts from £8,000, with the most popular mid-range 1.6l model at £11,000.

List prices now, just under 12 years later, start at £17k, with the equivalent model to his test drive coming in at £21k.

Mercedeses look an absolute bargain in comparison...
Ford prices have indeed shot up over the years.

Pretty sure nobody expects to pay the RRP though when you are in the showroom haggling.

Mid £30k for a poverty spec photocopier salesman C class isn’t exactly a bargain either

We used to have a Honda Jazz 1.4 SE which was £12k new in 2004.

Roll on to 2012 and the equivalent model was £17k.

£17k for a Honda Jazz and that's not even the top of the range which I think was £21k?

They are probably £35k now. 😄

Mid £30k for a poverty spec photocopier salesman C class isn’t exactly a bargain either
I agree, but considering I paid £23k for a secondhand C200K in 2003 it is.

My CLS320 with extras was £60k new in 2008. They start from £52k today - the same timescale as the Fiesta doubling in price.

My last 2016 MY C200 S205 Premium Plus estate after options was a £48000 car. A 1995 E320 Elegance with all the options (£7000 worth) was only £42000. A Bug Eye Scorpio 24v was £25k on the road fully loaded in 1995.

EVERYTHING has got that much more expensive in the last 15 years alone, the last 25 years is mind blowing.

W213 E class estates could have been had at any point in the last 12 months from a broker for £30k in SE trim, most basic form but everything you need. Saloons from £28k

My dads new E200 W124 saloon was £24k in 1994 and that was also very basic spec although no AC etc at base level in those days.

So some bargains around.

W213 E class estates could have been had at any point in the last 12 months from a broker for £30k in SE trim, most basic form but everything you need. Saloons from £28k
Mmm... so, a mid-range Fiesta for £21k or an E-class for £28k. Tough choice!

Cant really compare the full RRP sticker price for a fiesta, which no one pays, with an overproduced, heavily discounted E class

Mmm... so, a mid-range Fiesta for £21k or an E-class for £28k. Tough choice!
Cant really compare the full RRP sticker price for a fiesta, which no one pays, with an overproduced, heavily discounted E class

List price of the E is £40k so that might be a fairer comparison but even buying through a main dealer there have been offers throughout. Brokers have consistently had them at £30k for a long time so not some sort of overproduction spike.

Still I’d take one over the Ford any day

At the other end of the scale the original ML wasn’t hugely more costly than an E at the time IIRC.

If one wanted a GLE now though they are well over £50k even with discount. Although much better spec’d than an E these days.

Lots of anomalies in the car market currently.

You don't say! :eek::doh:

However, you can compare £8k in 2008 and £17k in 2020 to £60k (with extras) in 2008 and £52k in 2020.

My 1995 C36 still had the original invoice of £49,500 in the paperwork which, adjusted for inflation, would be £95,877 - how much does a brand new C63 sell for now?
About one third of a mortgage payment?

My 1995 C36 still had the original invoice of £49,500 in the paperwork which, adjusted for inflation, would be £95,877 - how much does a brand new C63 sell for now?
My old business partner paid £499 more than that for a 3 bed semi in Watford in the same year.

I paid £55,000 for a 1 bed flat in Colindale in Dec 95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom