Car reliability statistics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbo

Car
C320 (W203) & A170 (W169)
Saw this recently :-

The TCS (Switzerland’s AA) has published its “Pannenhilfe” (breakdown assistance) figures for 2004, that is, the makes and models to which TCS road patrols were called in the event of a breakdown. It gives some sort of vague picture of the reliability of cars. In descending order of most reliable (in terms of least number of breakdown calls per 1000 cars on the road):

1. Toyota Yaris
2. Subaru Forester
3. Ford Focus
4. Toyota Corolla/Subaru Legacy
6. Subaru Impreza
7. Mercedes A-Class
8. Toyota Avensis/VW Bora/Mitsubuishi Lancer/Skoda Octavia
12. Toyota Previa
13. BMW 3-Series
14. Mazda 626
15. Mercedes E-Class
16. Subaru Justy/Toyota RAV4
18. Honda Accord
19. Mercedes C-Class
20. Mazda 323

So, whilst we may moan about build quality niggles, the three biggest selling Mercedes models are in the top 20 most reliable cars (at least in Switzerland!)

Let me get this right, so number 1. has had the least number of calls and 20. the most number of calls for breakdown assistance. If so, the C-Class and E-Class is fairing pretty badly in the reliability stakes - of course depending on the number of cars sold over the rest that could skew the results. if the results are not skewed then this is nothing to be proud of as these are bread and butter vehicles for the marque.

If interpretation is the other way round, then geez the new C-Class is back in business in terms of reliability? With the amount of electronics its a hard pill to swallow but I really hope they do.

Let me get this right, so number 1. has had the least number of calls and 20. the most number of calls for breakdown assistance. If so, the C-Class and E-Class is fairing pretty badly in the reliability stakes - of course depending on the number of cars sold over the rest that could skew the results. If the results are not skewed (due to 1000 cars on road and all) then this is nothing to be proud of as these are bread and butter vehicles for the marque.

If interpretation is the other way round, then geez the new C-Class is back in business in terms of reliability? With the amount of electronics its a hard pill to swallow but I really hope they do.

The statistics are listed in terms of least number of breakdown calls per 1000 cars (of that particular model) on the road. This means that no. 1 has least call outs and therefore gives an indication of best reliability.

If so, the C-Class and E-Class is fairing pretty badly in the reliability stakes

This is not the case. Think about all of the other hunderds of cars that are not on the list. Do you see any French or Italian cars for instance? The ones on the list are the 20 most reliable cars on Swiss roads. The, A, C and E class are doing very well.

Just a thought?. Are they genuine breakdowns or simply calls to the AA requireing some form of assistance like running out of petrol, lost keys, or punctures?. Which are not reliability issues.

When I'm in my Polo I would happily change a wheel or walk to a filling station if, (I was daft enough to!), run out of petrol but when in my previous car, a C Class coupe I would more than likely think 'bu**er that' and call moibilolife. Scissor jacks scare the life out of me btw:eek:.

Portzy.

Good example of how results depend on the sample. I assume that the figures are based on the members of TCS. Lots of manufacturers offer roadside assistance with their new models so this might include some makes if TCS is part of their scheme, or exclude others who are catered for by the manufacturers independant scheme. The model designations seem a bit old also MAZDA 626 and no MAZDA 6??? Still an interesting read tho and useful info.

meanwhile:
WORST performers (from the reliability index).

1 PORSCHE 277.46
2 JEEP 249.14
3 SUBARU 214.92
4 LANDROVER 185.42
5 ALFA ROMEO 171.05
6 JAGUAR 167.03
7 AUDI 160.88
8 SAAB 142.63
9 RENAULT 129.2
10 CHRYSLER 126.75

i think uk has a different story, if i can recall lexus make the most reliable cars, followed somewhat close by mitsubishi.

It makes me glad I have a Toyota as well as a Mercedes.....:)

fnkhan68 said:
i think uk has a different story, if i can recall lexus make the most reliable cars, followed somewhat close by mitsubishi.
Measured by what?

You are probably talking about the JDPower survey which took into account lots of things including stealership experiences - absoutely nothing to do with reliability.

These "Reliabilty" surveys are frustrating. For example, one dreadful one I was asked to participate in (and declined) had a question asking me to rate "Electrical Reliability" in terms of the number of "incidents".

No ability to differentiate between a trivial switch problem or a bulb blowing from all the electronic systems going belly up!

Got to say on some other forums people do moan hugely about "problems" that really are just a function of their unrealistic expectations concerning the life of wear items

Last edited:
Reminds me of the last Top Gear survey that gave cars like the Honda S2000 (a 2-seat roadster) 4 out of 5 for 'Practicality' whilst giving big MPVs 3 out of 5.

Like that really makes sense!

Yes, but looking at the individual MB vehicles, the V class has a reliability index of 307 and an average repair bill of £480, and the A class has a reliability index of 170 with a repair bil of £447. The SL is pretty bad too.
The E and the C fare better with a RI of 80. This is comparable to the Lexus GS300, but the IS200 is far better. Remember these are figures derived from warranty claims and so are as impartial as they can get, and are presumably used to calculate how much to charge for extended warranties for different cars.

Shude said:
meanwhile:
WORST performers (from the reliability index).

1 PORSCHE 277.46
2 JEEP 249.14
3 SUBARU 214.92
4 LANDROVER 185.42
5 ALFA ROMEO 171.05
6 JAGUAR 167.03
7 AUDI 160.88
8 SAAB 142.63
9 RENAULT 129.2
10 CHRYSLER 126.75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back