Car Respray Without Clear Coat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoelliott

Car
CLK 230K W208
Hi all,

I've just had a car re spray of a solid colour (black) and when I was polishing it the other day, I realised that it clearly doesn't have a clear coat on it since I saw a small amount of paint on the cloth.

Is this standard practice for re spraying a solid colour car? I know some folks are for and against clear coats.

In terms of the job itself, it's not perfect but OK for what I paid. My only gripes are some of the finishing bits really.

Thanks...

Yes some older colours don't have a clear coat but whenever I've had my cars done I've specified a clear coat anyway, much more durable

your car has been resprayed in 2 k , if it had been repainted in a water based base coat then it would have a 2 k clear coat applyed, unless it`s been repainted in a water based top coat like du-pont hydro top coat but thats another story

Last edited:
A lot of the new modern paints are "eco" friendly and are thus water based, better for the enviroment and the spray painters health.
Unfortunatley single finish paints ( ie paints without clear coat ) like this tend to be on the soft side and will leave a colour residue on the pad, or cloth when polished with an abrasive.
I find paints like this respond better to synthetic wax sealants like Jet Seal 109 or Chemical Guys Backlight, Menzerna Top Coat etc. Give her a good polish then following the relevant instructions apply your choice of sealant, if you can, do this every week, building up the layers.
Over the months the wax will start to provide good protection whilst giving a great shine.

Thanks for the feedback.

It would be solid 2K and old tech alot of bodyshops still use this as saves costs !
but is still and should be a good finish if that helps

Clive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom