Car sales from the forum....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MOR8A said:
Just thought there maybe some level of interest in a rather nice car, that's all. The car has exactly the same level of protection warranty wise as any other used Mercedes from a dealer that's over 3 years old. I must just be away with the fairies to think that people on Mercedes forum might be interested. My mistake.
As I said, how many people pay out readies for a car these days?

I always try to buy cars from an enthusiast forum and it has served me well. Current s211 e500 bought from forum member LondonScottish here and was a pleasure. Same for my mx5 purchase that I did through the mx5 owners club.

I think the problem comes for more expensive purchases such as your car where people get nervous with the sums of money involved in the transaction and/ or require finance. I think it just needs patience as the potential pool of buyers who have the full asking price in cash and are comfortable with dealing outside of consumer protection laws that traders have to adhere to is small.

Good luck with the sale.

sold mine for nearly 30k through the forum, wasnt even advertised

I must just be away with the fairies to think that people on Mercedes forum might be interested. My mistake.

Don't beat yourself up, it's not a mistake as such, it's just that most people on the forum already have their Mercedes (if that makes sense).

With regards the advert, sorry to be blunt but cut the waffle and go for bullet points like:
M.O.T.
Service history and list the mileages at which they were done
Number of keys
Short sentence or two on the general condition of paintwork/interior/tyres and brand.

But, and above all, my golden rule is to not be negative in any way i.e. stating "no time wasters" (messers don't care about that statement they'll just waste your time anyway) also don't try and drag another car down when trying to promote yours; if someone's looking for one of these cars they know exactly what they want anyway.

And if the car still isn't selling it can only be the price, buyers dictate the market price, not sellers.

It looks a lovely car but the issue you have for that sort of money people would rather pay similar or a bit more from a dealership for peace of mind. If they buy your car and 1 mile down the road a major fault occurs then its tough luck. Buying from a dealer, you know you will be covered for at least 12 months with an approved warranty...

There are private buyers out here who will pay "biggish" money in a private transaction - as we have always bought this way. Lately, we just need to be a trifle more cautious.

People like me do not buy "the fashionable car" - these items are "the car to be seen in" and some buyers will simply spend the necessary sums. The W212 is now much less in demand across all derivatives.

People like me know want they want and are happy to source from a forum member allowing reserve funds for a decent warranty, healthcheck, minor works.

See too many private sales within a couple £1000 of dealer price when most of us can negotiate £500-1000 off from a dealer sticker without too much effort. Essentially, what I am trying to say is that the "spread" between dealer and private prices has to be high to entice some of us.

Your pricing is now nearly more in line with "reality". Best of luck with the sale.

I'm afraid the tone of your advert is very poor and suggests "boy racer ", at least to me.
I buy all my cars privately and spend as much time checking out the owner as I do the car and I'd suggest that you totally revamp your advert so that you are portrayed as a mature enthusiast. All that stuff in your ad about extra bhp was offputting. Lastly present the advert objectively not subjectively.
Brave of you to ask this on an open forum, some good advice already given.
Good luck.

It looks a lovely car but the issue you have for that sort of money people would rather pay similar or a bit more from a dealership for peace of mind. If they buy your car and 1 mile down the road a major fault occurs then its tough luck. Buying from a dealer, you know you will be covered for at least 12 months with an approved warranty...

It does have a tier 1 Mercedes Warranty, the same as you would have from Mercedes main dealer.

The OP's car does have an MB warranty on it according to the ad.

Might not be a year but could be extended come renewal - it seems to now be way down on the initial asking price, which is about right all things considered and the car is well down on the cheapest pre-facelift, albeit 13 plate with less miles, on the MB AUC (£31k).

I've seen quite a lot of cars over the years listed on here starting with 2,3,4 so quite normal in my experience.

You get more provenance with an enthusiast-owned car than you do from a dealer who knows nothing about the history of their car. But then that's partly why you stump up more at an MB dealer - for the protection against the unknown.

Each to their own of course.

As others have said the tone of your ad is not very friendly. Try changing it, something like this:
This car is in fantastic condition and comes with full MB service history and a tier 1 MB Warranty. Recent large service including plugs and rear diff oil (write documented if you have an invoice)
I can supply any extra information that you may need and can send you more pictures if required.
My E63 has over £13000.00 worth of extra options.
List all standard equipment here
Rear split seats Front vented seats Dynamic front seats AMG Diff lock Tyre pressure monitors AMG ride control performance suspension AMG performance pack plus.
BANK TRANSFER PAYMENT ONLY! If you wish to test drive it please bring fully comprehensive insurance with you.

MOR8A

i think its a case of when someone is looking for that type of mota they will respond, i dont bother looking at classifieds unless im looking for one. its a waiting game and the right person will come up.

My c36 took a 2nd attempt on autotrader before that sold, didnt sell via the forum even tho it was a minter.

good luck with the sale mate

Thanks to those who had something positive or at least constructive criticism to offer. I shan't analyse the purely negative comments. I have to say it's been an eye opener with regards to a lot of people's comments. I had no idea that people felt the way they say they do about adverts and the impact certain phrasing has on their feelings.

I have taken it all on board and changed my advert in line with some of the suggestions. I'm sure some of you will find it equally criticism worthy.

I've got the opposite problem, I've been trying to buy a 560SEC from JayManek off this forum for years and he won't sell it.

Your advert looks OK to me but a quick look at Autotrader looks like a '14 or even '15 from a trader is possible for £34K and a '13 is nearer £30-31k from a trader. Given that most people would expect a lower price on a private sale I'd suggest that you are being price ambitious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom