Car scraped in a car park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c180081c

Car
C250 AMG Sport Coupe
Right guys my car of two weeks owner ship has been scraped down the passenger door and front wing. It has happened between yesterday evening and this morning. No note has been left shockingly! It happened on our residential car park (no CCTV) the question is what do I do? Aside from cough up and get I with it? I have my suspicions but no proof and aside from shouting expletives loudly I'm struggling with the next move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get some quotes on the repair costs and take it from there..

What a bummer, can't imagine how angry you must be.

If you have suspicions then maybe check their vehicle for corresponding damage.

Reporting it to the police as a hit and run would be the first step to make sure you have done the right procedural things for insurance purposes.

What a bummer, can't imagine how angry you must be.

If you have suspicions then maybe check their vehicle for corresponding damage.

Reporting it to the police as a hit and run would be the first step to make sure you have done the right procedural things for insurance purposes.

Yeah was thinking of just ringing the local station I can't imagine they'll be able to do anything, I've just dropped it off for new tyres and the body shop is next door so I'll grab a quote but I'd imagine it's a full wing and door. Nightmare! I'm going to hang about until the culprit gets home and have a good look it's caused quite a bit of damage so they'll be something on their car.

Culprit has probably already left the car in a local body shop to be sorted before he returns it to his parking spot

Well I've been out armed with polish and a selection of pads and such, seems most of the damage has come out but will need a machine polish at a later date, it has left a pretty decent crease down the length of the door and just slightly on to the wing but hey ho it could be worse

Right guys my car of two weeks owner ship has been scraped down the passenger door and front wing. It has happened between yesterday evening and this morning. No note has been left shockingly! It happened on our residential car park (no CCTV) the question is what do I do? Aside from cough up and get I with it? I have my suspicions but no proof and aside from shouting expletives loudly I'm struggling with the next move

Was there any paint transfer from the other vehicle ? This would tell you the colour .

Look around the car park for another vehicle with corresponding damage at the correct height , and perhaps paint transfer from your car .

The choice is yours to

a) confront the owner

b) inform the police re a 'hit and run' - if you damage another vehicle it is a legal requirement to report the incident to the police .

c) inform your insurer , enclosing photographs of both vehicles , including a measuring tape showing height of damage from the ground on both vehicles . They WILL pursue the other side with a claim , even if they have not reported .

The downside of the last action is that it may affect your renewal the next year , but equally may not - it varies from one insurer to another .

Was there any paint transfer from the other vehicle ? This would tell you the colour .

Look around the car park for another vehicle with corresponding damage at the correct height , and perhaps paint transfer from your car .

The choice is yours to

a) confront the owner

b) inform the police re a 'hit and run' - if you damage another vehicle it is a legal requirement to report the incident to the police .

c) inform your insurer , enclosing photographs of both vehicles , including a measuring tape showing height of damage from the ground on both vehicles . They WILL pursue the other side with a claim , even if they have not reported .

The downside of the last action is that it may affect your renewal the next year , but equally may not - it varies from one insurer to another .

I confronted who I assume to be the guilty party minutes ago, I've looked at their car and it's a mess of dings & scratches, there was some paint transfer of a similar color however due to having to live next door and given that their claims history must be carried around in a shipping crate I'm just going to get my guy to sort the crease then I know it's done right, I'm glad there wasn't more damage and If I wasn't so OCD I'd probably leave it as is now I've cleaned it up, the crease will definitely have to go though [emoji23]

Commiserations, a horrible thing to happen. The dishonesty and carelessness of the offending party is a tough one to deal with. After you've got over this, consider a discrete, wired in, dashcam.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I have had the work done by ML Carsprays and sons in penwortham Preston I can't praise the guys highly enough. They had the car first thing Wednesday morning and I picked the car up Thursday evening, repair is perfectly colour matched (and it's silver!) polished and waxed. They also tidied up a couple of pervious stonechip repairs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you got it sorted out , maybe now fit a dash cam that records even while your car is parked - then you'll have proof if it ever happens again ?

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted out , maybe now fit a dash cam that records even while your car is parked - then you'll have proof if it ever happens again ?

And don't park next to the muppet who has a car full of dings and scrapes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom