car scrappers & leafletting scumbags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneCarefulOwner

Car
E200 Auto S124
Came back from work yesterday to find some git had stuck a "scrap cars bought for cash" leaflet under the wiper of my Allegro. To say I was annoyed is putting it mildly; this is a car parked on the road, with a year's tax on it, and only a small spot of rust bubbling on one door - I'm in the process of arranging a repair but I don't want to spoil the patination of the car, it's otherwise unwelded and completely original.

Admittedly the car wasn't looking its best, after some horrendous weather this week the kerbs have been throwing up all kinds of crap along the sills, and as my road's tree-lined there's been the associated bird mess and leaf litter to contend with as well, and I don't have the time to wash my cars every day even if it wasn't pouring down... But there's no way my car looked like scrap, and I took advantage of having his number and left a rather scathing voicemail.

I hate leafletting on cars, it's disrespectful of people's property; I'm fed up with repairing wipers they've stuffed up, and cleaning off ink that's run onto the paintwork when they've stucck their paper on in a rainstorm.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!:doh:

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I had seen the leaflet on the windscreen of an Allegro, I would have had a little chuckle to myself. :D

I had somebody knock my front door on Saturday to ask whether I would let them crush the 190. It's mint and is stored under my car port for the winter with a dust sheet over it to stop my cat from scratching the paint. I told him "you're not going to crush that one" at which point he asked if I was interested in selling it ! I think he was hoping I wasn't aware of its true value. He got very short shrift from me - cheeky ........!!!

I've had this with my Rover, once with a scrap leaflet and another time I was approached by someone who thought I'd sell it to him to banger race it! :mad:
It wasn't as if it was even dirty, I'd just spent a good few hours cleaning it and doing a few little jobs! I agree, these leaflets under windows are a real nuisance.

There are only one group worse than these kind of people, you all know the tune Sell My Car | Sell Your Car | Sell Used Car Online | Sell Car
If you ever feel down in the mouth just enter your reg and in no time you will be wetting yourself. They value all cars at less than half the market price then email you for weeks telling you you wont get a better price. Recently I valued both mercs the Mrs 05 Tigra and a 05 Jag and all of them came back with well below bottom book price and to add insult to injury they keep the road tax fund.

Sorry if after reading this you now find yourself humming that annoying tune all day

Not forgetting the "quartic" steering wheel which everyone laughed at...... nowadays, take a quick look at the steering wheel on the average supercar and it's not such a daft idea, is it?

Not my cup of tea but seeing an Allegro, Maxi or Marina on the road nowadays give a nice feeling.

On the original subject - yes, I would object to it as well. If I want to sell/scrap my car, I'll decide when, where and with whom.......

Lol at this thread :D:D

Sorry :eek:

:eek: :mad:

I had someone knock on my door asking if they could buy my Mini 1275GT - original 78, V-reg...for £50! so he could go do some stock car racing somewhere in it.

:mad: :eek:

It doesn't always have to be scammers and such.... :)

My Dad notice a neglected Pan-European (I think) parked in the garden of one of my neighbours when we moved in. He kept an eye on it - always making comments about it being a shame left out as it was. It didn't move that winter, or the following spring/summer.

He dropped a brief note through the letterbox - was the guy interested in selling it? - and followed up with a knock on the door a couple of weeks later. Asked the guy if he wanted to sell it, how much he wanted, etc. Paid the guy £200 and got a guy to take it in a van to his place. Six months in the shed, and sold for a nice profit.

He's just done the same with another neighbour - laddo had a 125 scooter and then left it outside when he had passed his test and got a car. £75 changed hands, now residing in his shed.

Why does he do this? He's had to fully retire now with Parkinsons, and this keeps him out of Mum's hair, keeps him active and mobile, and makes him a few pennies on the side with which they fly down to Nice or to friends in Holland. His view - if you don't ask you'll never know, and the worse that can happen is that they tell you to go forth!

hahahahha just got WBAC to value mine HAHAHAHHHAHAH !!

is it not possible to remove the wiper arms and just refit when you want to use the car.

I have been annoyed by this as well ; any car not obviously in use seems to be a target . The worry is that , after you decline their generous offer , they will come back when you're out and just steal the car .

I also find the practise of leaving scrap cars in the street with ' Minimum £60' and a mobile number plastered across the front and back screens quite annoying . I have not stopped to examine any , but most look as if they could hardly be street legal ( at least one of the half dozen locally has no glass so no tax disc on display ) .

For Sale

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...but I have a one owner mint car here for sale ....offers ???

Attachments

• 21_20_5---Burnt-out-car_web.jpg
    21_20_5---Burnt-out-car_web.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 204
It doesn't always have to be scammers and such.... :)
I agree, and I support what your old man's doing - it saves vehicles from being scrapped unnecessarily; I wish I had the nerve, and bank balance, and space, to do the same with a few local cars! There's half a dozen Rover P6s around my neighbourhood, and only 1 of them ever seems to drive anywhere - another, which parks nearby and is presumably owned by the same guy, has never been seen in another parking space! It's always clean & taxed though, so presumably has been moved for an MoT or two as I've seen it there for over 2 years now.

I think with the price of scrap atm, and the shortage of junkers thanks to Scrappage, they're just trying it on with anything that looks like it's going to earn them a few quid... Still annoying though.
is it not possible to remove the wiper arms and just refit when you want to use the car.
That is a GENIUS idea.:thumb:

That is a GENIUS idea.:thumb:

Knowing my luck, if I tried this and the car was parked on the street, some officious b'stard would slap a ticket on it for being on a public road and not in roadworthy condition... :rolleyes:

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...but I have a one owner mint car here for sale ....offers ???

buyer collects?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom