Car seat leather conditioner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Having used Gliptone in the past, I still have some cleaner left but no conditioner.

Is Gliptone still the go to or is there a better leather conditioner now that peeps use?

If you like the smell, then go for it. Otherwise it's a waste of time as all automotive leather is sealed and cannot absorb conditioner.
If you have an older or very high end vehicle then maybe useful.
Do the water drop test. Place a drop of water on your car seat, if it is absorbed, then condition. If it just sits on the surface, there's no point and may even be detrimental

If you like the smell, then go for it. Otherwise it's a waste of time as all automotive leather is sealed and cannot absorb conditioner.
If you have an older or very high end vehicle then maybe useful.
Do the water drop test. Place a drop of water on your car seat, if it is absorbed, then condition. If it just sits on the surface, there's no point and may even be detrimental

That's useful, thanks. I will try that before buying any more!

I wonder now if the seats in my E55K were sealed too...

Saying that, they looked like new when I sold it on 103k so maybe they weren't.

Do modern sealed leather seats still deteriorate in terms of cracking later on still?

My CLS55 seats were sealed AFAIK all Mercedes seats are sealed except for some optioned S class leathers.
I used Gliptone on my 2005 S203, smelled nice but didn't really make the leather any softer. I then had the interior retrimmed in 'naked' nappa leather and noticed how the Gliptone was easily and quickly absorbed. I did the drop test and the drop soaked in. Great leather but needed cleaning and conditioning at least fortnightly!
If sealed leather seats are cleaned properly, vacuumed regularly and either wiped over with a proprietary cleaner, or a dilute solution of wool detergent in lukewarm water, they should last very well. It's only when the grit and general dirt that gets into the creases creates cracks things go wrong.

I always think that if there's cracking, then it can't be sealed, or the slealant has broken down. My E class looks as though it could do with something.

the slealant has broken down
Exactly this. The grit and dirt in the creases has eroded the PU coating (the sealant) creating the crack.
On coated leather you can't condition out the crack. On naked leathers you can condition out the creases (to a degree).

My solution to this was buying replacement seats :D

Conditioner works, I've seen seat leather on the top of the seat backs that feels like cardboard here in Texas get softened up after conditioning. I use Lexol because it's readily available. Others seem to love leatherique here in the states.

My CLS55 seats were sealed AFAIK all Mercedes seats are sealed except for some optioned S class leathers.
I used Gliptone on my 2005 S203, smelled nice but didn't really make the leather any softer. I then had the interior retrimmed in 'naked' nappa leather and noticed how the Gliptone was easily and quickly absorbed. I did the drop test and the drop soaked in. Great leather but needed cleaning and conditioning at least fortnightly!
If sealed leather seats are cleaned properly, vacuumed regularly and either wiped over with a proprietary cleaner, or a dilute solution of wool detergent in lukewarm water, they should last very well. It's only when the grit and general dirt that gets into the creases creates cracks things go wrong.

I tried the water drop test and it sat there doing nothing for a good 2 or 3 minutes so I guess these seats are sealed.

My E55 was probably a similar vintage to your CLS55 so I guess the seats were the same and therefore sealed.

Conditioning seemed to halt the progress of the decline of the bolster on the 55 but then again, it may have done that anyway and it did decline in the end.

Perhaps the first owners of it were not my size so the bolster didn't get any wear until I got it! :D

I've vacuumed the seats and used the remaining Gliptone PH neutral cleaner on them (having done a patch test out of sight) and all is well so I will just do that when necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom