Car security advice sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chilsta

Car
'94 S124 E300D
So I'd like to replace the alarm that was in the car when I bought it and add some kind of mechanical immobiliser.

Having read through various alarm posts/recommendations on this forum it seems like Clifford have got the best rep, but I'm open to any make.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced model that:

• Has a decent level of security and amount of features
  • Integrates with the W124 central locking
  • Operates the MB total closure
  • Has at least one immobiliser circuit
Has to be something available for me to fit with wiring diagram & instructions available. I've fitted alarms before.

With an older MB Diesel like this with an engine that's mainly mechanical, which circuits are available/advisable to immobilise?

What do people think about some sort of mechanical immobilisation? Back in the early 90s I saw a system advertised that was a key operated one way valve for the brakes. The idea was that you fixed the metal box including the valve & lock to the body, then ran a brake pipe through it. When locked, if someone tried to steal the car, as soon as they hit the brakes they stayed on (or at least the wheel the locked pipe feeds would). I've never seen or heard anything of this type of thing since but have always thought it seemed like a good idea.
Back in 2005 Dieselman mentioned a similar device for the Diesel line. I can't find anything like this online either.
I've also read about a factory option on the W124 that somehow locked the transmission.
I'm after something that can't be defeated electrically, is reasonably easy for me to install, simple to operate from the driver's seat and doesn't involve the hassle of something like a steering wheel lock that needs to be stored somewhere.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Is it really worth it on a car worth what, £500/£700? I would have thought something like a decent steering wheel lock would be sufficient rather than spending £2-300 on a good quality security system?

Is it really worth it on a car worth what, £500/£700? I would have thought something like a decent steering wheel lock would be sufficient rather than spending £2-300 on a good quality security system?

Perhaps he wants to ensure he keeps his vehicle rather than have to go to all the hassle of finding another "good" one when his gets nicked.

It is not always about the monetary value.

Heh- yeah, what they said. And I'm hoping I can spend less than £2-300 on an alarm if I fit it myself. Even the top end Cliffords are under £150 on eBay.

Whoa there! Am not having a go but yes, I understand it's not always about the monetary value!!

Is the car in mint/showroom condition or is it a daily runabout? It's just a question of economics. Spending £2-300 on a security system for a car that maybe worth £500 I feel is excessive. That's why I suggested a visible, good quality deterrent instead!

This is a forum and the OP wanted input, that's what I gave. He feels it's worth doing and yes, I personally would recommend a Clifford but unless professionally installed, may well not be worth it anyway.

Good luck

Cliffords are usually good, I was going to suggest e-bay as there are a lot of people on there that do installs as well for a good price. I would probably pay someone who is a pro rather than attempt myself. If you get a e-bay one, even with fitting it will be less than shop price for alarm on it's own. You then don't need to worry about circuits to immobilise etc.

Whoa there! Am not having a go but yes, I understand it's not always about the monetary value!!

Is the car in mint/showroom condition or is it a daily runabout? It's just a question of economics. Spending £2-300 on a security system for a car that maybe worth £500 I feel is excessive. That's why I suggested a visible, good quality deterrent instead!

This is a forum and the OP wanted input, that's what I gave. He feels it's worth doing and yes, I personally would recommend a Clifford but unless professionally installed, may well not be worth it anyway.

Good luck

I agree - this is about economic sense more than anything. That said, I can understand the hassle element and peace of mind.

IME aftermarket alarms etc are a constant source of pain when fitted though - unless they have changed a bit since the crap I fitted to my old Mk1 Golf Gti...:)

After reading the thread yesterday about the spate of W124 thefts, I have this morning ordered a 4TRESS steering lock from EBAY, £30 inc p&p ,[£40 at Halfords]

Many classic motor policies dictate the parking arrangements you'll need. Some say the car must be garaged overnight, or alternatively be off the road between certain nocturnal hours.
Remove the cradle and suction pads and clean any marks left on the windscreen or dashboard too as thieves are known to look for these telltale signs and break in anyway, expecting to find the Sat Nav tucked away in the glove compartment.

tbh, most modern alarms are pretty good, any thatcham 1 alarm will do the job, and there are loads out there cheaper than clifford (and better!)

most aftermarket alarms will need total closure modules etc. you cannot use the current total closure modules that come with the standard alarm.... whats wrong wit hte alarm you have on the car... or isnt there one on it?

My Capri was not legally insured when parked unless my wheel clamp was fitted.

Not stylish. More often than not, technically uninsured, too.

After reading the thread yesterday about the spate of W124 thefts, I have this morning ordered a 4TRESS steering lock from EBAY, £30 inc p&p ,[£40 at Halfords]

I've got a 4tress, used it for years, it's very solid, a good buy imo. Bit of a hassle to put on though, i've fitted a fuel cut-off switch in the past also.

What about something like this but with the switch in the cabin.....someone tries to start it without the switch being made and the fuse pops.

Richbrook Electrical - Discarnect Battery cut-off Security Switch - Inovative performance and styling - larkspeed.com

Dunno just a thought.

Marty

Thanks- that's just the sort of cheap & effective mechanical immobilisation I'm looking for and has given me some ideas.

Some caravanners buy their own wheel clamp/s?

My Capri was not legally insured when parked unless my wheel clamp was fitted.

Not stylish. More often than not, technically uninsured, too.

Thanks to all- As c2raig says, I know if this involves having to store something somewhere and physically install it each time I park, I will all too often end up not doing it. That's why I'm looking for something that's key operated from the driver's seat.

most aftermarket alarms will need total closure modules etc. you cannot use the current total closure modules that come with the standard alarm.... whats wrong wit hte alarm you have on the car... or isnt there one on it?

The car does have factory total closure (key operated from the doors). As I understand it, some alarms interface with that to close the windows & roof, either on setting the alarm or by pressing an aux button on the fob. It's not really a requirement for me, but figure I might as well get it while I'm at it if it doesn't add too much to the price.

The factory approved alarm wiring is still in the car, but it had a combined ECU/siren which was mounted behind a headlight and I presume water ingression killed it. It wasn't with the car when I bought it. Another questionable move was placing the common ground for the alarm wiring near the front of the car- this is quite badly corroded and would have been much better off being placed inside the cabin.

Toad alarms are also quite good -

TOAD Ai606 THATCHAM CAT 1 CAR ALARM NEW BOXED UK DEALER on eBay (end time 30-Sep-10 20:06:15 BST)

Is a thatcham approved alarm for less than £100

Thanks- having looked around, that's probably the one I'll go for. Pending checking that it will work with the Merc central locking and ideally the total closure.

I'm confident that I can fit the alarm, maybe not as well as the best fitter but certainly better than many pro-installed alarms that I've seen, including the disabled "Mercedes approved" alarm that's wiring is still in the car.
As well as saving money, I like to do things myself as I can take my time & know it's been done properly. I become (sometimes only too) intimately familiar with the setup, so know how to troubleshoot should any issues arise.
I'm more often than not disappointed with the workmanship of professionals- most that I've had work for me over the years (both with cars and otherwise) seem to be more about doing the job and getting out as quickly as poss, rather than taking any pride over their work. I know there are of course exceptions.

That`s a bit harsh,don`t you think?!!Some cars are worth a lot to us owners :thumb:

No not at all, people do get carried away with security - quite rare to get your car nicked.

I agree people do get attached to their cars - some a little bit too much :eek:

What about Scorpion alarms? I had one on my 190E and it worked with the central locking and even closed the windows. I cant remember what model of the alarm was fitted or even know if it was factory fitted, but it worked well with the car!

I used to use the Capri every day, parking on city centre streets in Newcastle, there were umpteen justifications for not fitting the clamp: raining, didn't want to dirty a suit, lugging it out of the boot...

I did put it on if I didn't like the area where I was leaving the car but I often didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom