Car service at...home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
For the last dozen or so years I have always taken my r129 to a garage for its annual A or B service.

First MB at MK. Then pcs in Bletchley but they went out of business and since then the guys at autoclass in MK

No complaints and decent pricing and given my lack of time and family life was happy for someone else to do the work.

Last year I skipped an oil change and A service for the first time given I had only done 1500 miles. Service is due in October but given I have some more time on the weekends now I did some research on A or B services and I think I can probably do 90% of the job in hand.

The only good thing about taking it to the professionals is that they often find a bushing or 2 that could do with replacing.

I have a Chinese star system so can scan my own codes.

I purchased all the bits required for an oil change on Eurocarparts today with egg80 discount code and it was less than £60 for air/pollen/oil/fuel filter and oil drain pan and oil sump plug. Just need to get the oil from somewhere else as they do collection only.

Am ordering the same for my wife’s cayenne (sorry) and unless it becomes a complete disaster I will be doing these services items myself from now on.

Anyone else have any good tips for servicing cars at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do what I can at home, get a good jack and some stands and add tools when you need them and as you can afford them!
its nice to do stuff yourself if you can!

well done on making the move!

This is exactly what i want to do , service my car at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be doing mine this week after the run to the supermarket. I have an electric pump to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube which makes the task so much easier with no groveling on the floor or under trays to remove. It's how MB would do it. Oil filter is a top access item too and very easy to change with no mess.

I'll be doing mine this week after the run to the supermarket. I have an electric pump to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube which makes the task so much easier with no groveling on the floor or under trays to remove. It's how MB would do it. Oil filter is a top access item too and very easy to change with no mess.

Need to look into that :) it sounds ideal

I have 4x axle stands and need to do some under car rust treatment anyway but maybe next time.

On my wife’s car I can use air suspension to put it in high terrain mode and place axle stands underneath just in case. Plenty of space.

Just need to store the old oil somewhere till the recycling centre opens again.

Bravo..

I got myself a Pela6000 pump to remove the motor oil and brought some mercedes oil , just missing air and cabin filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With the price of OEM filters etc. on ebay I find it better just to go OEM.
Of course this may be difficult just now but worth noting, not sure which if any of the Main Dealers are still doing parts on ebay although I do still see Edinburgh with lots listed.

ECP may deliver an incompatible part and with the added time can be a pain.

I always just think for what is being saved on the labour getting known decent genuine fit first time parts is a no brainer.

I'd draw the line on some parts for older cars but when we are talking a £12 filter for me it's an easy choice.

Lidl often sell the electric oil extraction pumps for £12.99. Recently (before the world was shut down) got one and they make oil changes so easy, no scrabbling around under the car.

Maybe get some blue towel as well for any spills and swarfega. Screen wash and antifreeze/ coolant always handy for top ups.

With the price of OEM filters etc. on ebay I find it better just to go OEM.
Of course this may be difficult just now but worth noting, not sure which if any of the Main Dealers are still doing parts on ebay although I do still see Edinburgh with lots listed.

ECP may deliver an incompatible part and with the added time can be a pain.

I always just think for what is being saved on the labour getting known decent genuine fit first time parts is a no brainer.

I'd draw the line on some parts for older cars but when we are talking a £12 filter for me it's an easy choice.

Next time you get a MB air filter take a close look .... you will find Mann stamped on it :)

Next time you get a MB air filter take a close look .... you will find Mann stamped on it :)
I think Pats point was that by buying from MB you are guaranteed to receive the correct item (for only marginally more money) :)

When the parts department re-opens, just get the parts from MB, it’s means you will have a nice MB invoice for your service history.

As I do my own servicing and repairs where possible, I have enough MB invoices to put some of these “full MB service history” cars to shame.

Mb drained my oil from the sump when my Amg was serviced recently.

I think when doing your own servicing there is no need to skim on parts.

Good point. I will use ecp for now and will get some bits in from MB when service department opens up.

For the last dozen or so years I have always taken my r129 to a garage for its annual A or B service.

First MB at MK. Then pcs in Bletchley but they went out of business and since then the guys at autoclass in MK

No complaints and decent pricing and given my lack of time and family life was happy for someone else to do the work.

Last year I skipped an oil change and A service for the first time given I had only done 1500 miles. Service is due in October but given I have some more time on the weekends now I did some research on A or B services and I think I can probably do 90% of the job in hand.

The only good thing about taking it to the professionals is that they often find a bushing or 2 that could do with replacing.

I have a Chinese star system so can scan my own codes.

I purchased all the bits required for an oil change on Eurocarparts today with egg80 discount code and it was less than £60 for air/pollen/oil/fuel filter and oil drain pan and oil sump plug. Just need to get the oil from somewhere else as they do collection only.

Am ordering the same for my wife’s cayenne (sorry) and unless it becomes a complete disaster I will be doing these services items myself from now on.

Anyone else have any good tips for servicing cars at home?

Buy a vacuum pump to get the engine oil out, it's what most garages use. It's saves a load of time and hassle jacking the car up and taking off the lower engine covers , and all the bloody mess, piddling around with sump plug and copper washer etc.. If you are worried about getting every drop of oil out then lift the front of the car up a few inches.

The irony for me is I can't use mine on my C55 because it has a saddle sump :doh: but I have used it on other cars and at work. Should have bought one years ago.

MB Newcastle and MB Sunderland have E-bay shops and sell engine MB branded engine oil cheap.

When the parts department re-opens, just get the parts from MB, it’s means you will have a nice MB invoice for your service history.

As I do my own servicing and repairs where possible, I have enough MB invoices to put some of these “full MB service history” cars to shame.

I found some pdf’s on another mb board with service checklists. I used it to figure out what items are checked and service and the interval.

Am never going to sell this car if I can help it but do like to know it has been maintained properly.

I found this google sheet someone made for their very golf and used it to setup a history and maintenance schedule for my own cars. The scary thing is it calculates the price per mile exclusive of insurance or petrol (I guess you could add it in but too time consuming) and it is scary how much it costs to run some of these cars. Self servicing should help. Especially with the basic stuff.

When I was still in my DIY years... I was lucky enough to have a friend whose father owned a garage and allowed us to use the lifts and ranp on weekends.

But if I were doing DIY these days, and had a house with a drive (as opposed to a flat), then I would get a full-length portable ramp (made of two parallel strips), given that most people can't fit a lift at home or dig an inspection pit.

This is invaluable for checking/replacing diff and transmission oil/ATF where the car needs to be level and off the ground to allow access, and for some types of suspension work where the car needs to be level and the suspension under load.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom