Car stalled, key floppy in ignition and would not start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swotty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 CL600
2003 W215 CL600 47,000 miles

Had it 5 weeks now and very pleased, apart from the electrical gremlins.

The SRS seems O.K. now but there are 2 other issues:

The first is the "front turn signal" warning. Dealer replaced bulb, but it's still intermittent.

Had advice on another thread to say it's probably a bad earth issue and to buy an upgraded part for about £20 - can anyone tell me the part number, please?

Secondly ........ and more importantly ........ after a run, the car stalled in the middle of a car park and would not restart. The key turned in the ignition but seemed "floppy" (best way to describe it) and would not turn sufficient to engage the starter, no matter how hard I pushed it to the right.

Embarrassingly, the missus and a couple of lovely locals pushed it into a vacant space ........ not easy, as no power steering, nor power brakes!

Tried several times to restart, but just had the "floppy key" syndrome - then, after a couple of minutes, the key operated as normal, with the usual resistance in turning, and it fired up.

Does anyone know if it's the key, the ignition switch, a relay (k40?) or something else?

Has anyone else had this and fathomed it out?

I'm very reluctant to trust it now, for fear of it cutting out while driving on the road.

Many thanks,

Stuart

It sounds like the Electronic Ignition Switch although possibly a faulty key, do you have a spare to carry in case it happens again?

The only way to properly tell is of course a Star diagnostic session.

Thanks - yes, I've swopped the keys round and everything is currently working as it should. The spare does seem to be a tighter fit, but perhaps that's just me!

I've read several old threads (not all on here) which say that STAR won't pick this up.

Any thoughts on the intermittent front indicator and the solution needed, please?

Stuart

I had a similar episode with my car just after buying it, it stalled, re-started and has never recurred. I think the ignition switch was to blame as in your case.

As for the indicators, poor contact, poor earth or intermittent front SAM fault, I would change both bulbs, clean up the holders and check if there were any earth points you could trace for them, otherwise it probably needs a proper diagnostic.

O/p. Did you remove the key and re-insert it before attempting to start the car. The start selection is inhibited once used.

Dieselman ......... thanks, no, I didn't ......... the key just seemed to go round without resistance, but no starter. It was really weird!

I have since read that locking and unlocking the car may help - is this the kind of thing you meant ........ starting another sequence?

DSM10000 - thanks, the indicators always work fine from a cold start and then, after a few turns, the left front goes, sometimes returning, sometimes not. I'll scrape my knuckles and have a look - that engine bay is tight!

Thanks again,

Stuart

Dieselman ......... thanks, no, I didn't ......... the key just seemed to go round without resistance, but no starter. It was really weird!

I have since read that locking and unlocking the car may help - is this the kind of thing you meant ........ starting another sequence?

No need to lock and unlock, just remove and re-insert the key.

Could always try closing all the windows, then opening them again.....

OK, I'll get my coat.....

When the left indicator goes, does the fog light substitute the indicator?

Sorry, don't know - never checked ......... internally, the indicator arrow and clicker just go manic and the message comes up, but don't know which bulb/lamp is being substituted.

When it next happens, I'll have a look and post.

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom