Car stolen from Weybridge, Surrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebook

Car
Audi RS5
Not a Mercedes, however a friend of mine had his dark blue BMW X5 stolen from outside his house last night in Weybridge, Surrey.

Distinctive registration - 711 CCJ

No keys taken, no obvious signs of forced entry.

Keyless entry relay theft?

Will keep an eye out

Keyless entry relay theft?

No, his car didn't have keyless entry, but I think with the right equipment, it's possible to echo the signal from a standard remote? I've just activated the tracker built into my wife's Evoque (which does have keyless)...

Interested in this as my brother has an X3 and he believes that as his car doesn't have keyless, it shouldn't be possible to do the whole 'keyless theft' thing. I'm not so sure.

Interested in hearing more on how it was done? Can it be done with any car with a FOB (seems unlikely)?

Do they have to monitor you unlocking/recording the car with the FOB and then they can record/replicate that?

...then they can use the keyless start/stop as the key is somehow within range?

Last edited:
Remote locking and unlocking is supposed to be on a rolling code, so not likely to be able to replicate that. There was a period of people using signal jammers though so people thought their car was locked when it wasn’t.

But failing that, who’s never forgotten to lock their car? More common than people will admit, we’ve all made mistakes.

Is your friend sure that the car doesn’t have keyless entry? Maybe they had it and didn’t realise. Mercedes have had it for over twenty years so I’d be surprised that a modern X5 didn’t?

Will keep an eye out but suspect it’s long gone now. Saw this the other week:

Collaborative police work leads to arrest and recovery of stolen Mercedes from Epsom | Surrey Police

It’s a timely reminder for everyone to excercise caution. As I’ve said before, typically people only post about this stuff after the event. Prevention is key (no pun intended!)

Yeah a problem a few year back where they could gain access to the car without keys and then through the Odb2 port programme a key and off they went.

BMW main stealers can so this as an update. Therefore securing your car.

I had it done on my 2008 X5 back in 2011. I was led to believe (and will now check) that from 2014 it was standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom