Car stolen with keys - insurance cover?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by A-AvantGarde, Jul 31, 2008.

1. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    There have been a lot of reports lately of cars being stolen from homes with the keys. http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/3555520.Keys_and_car_stolen_as_mum_and_I_slept/

In some cases people are held at knifepoint / gunpoint or beaten up and 'asked' to handover the keys.

Other cases involve a break in to the house and now more recently we're a hearing of a number of cases involve 'fishing' the keys through the letterbox.

Is there a standard stance on the validity of car insurance cover on this type of thing?

I guess if you're attacked or beaten up and hand over the keys you would be covered.

I assume that if your home is broken into and there are signs of forced entry then you should also be covered.

I'm getting paranoid now about the theft of keys where there may be no sign of forced entry (i.e. the fishing of keys through the letterbox).

Having said that I don't leave my keys in plain sight. My parents have had their keys stolen from their house (but luckily not the cars!). They had the locks changed and I that was covered by the insurance.

2. Ian C

Ian C Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Shiny Mercedes, MGA,Daimler Dart,Lotus 7 SII,Lotus Elite T14,RS200,M1
    Why take any chances; just keep them where they cannot be seen or accessed from outside!

3. OP
    OP
    A-AvantGarde

Car:
    I always try not too, we've gotten into the habbit of always ensuring our keys our out of sight & keep them safe as possible. Just wondering what the position is on the scenarios I outlined...

4. clegsr

clegsr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Later
    The problem is that in the first place when you have a claim (like a stolen car) you have to prove to the insurance company that you have actually had a claim which is then covered by the policy.

Secondly, if then the insurance company says it isn't covered then THEY have to prove that to you.

It's what you should bear in mind when you look after you car and keys - in other words if you somehow lose the keys and then you get home and your car has gone how do you prove that its actually been stolen -and what do you think the insurance company will say?

You dont really want to have an argument about it -and if no signs of forced entry you may well be inviting a dispute - especially when a good key lock box probably costs less than the keys themselves...

5. MikeL

MikeL Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI
    So, watching a documentary, this guy has two cars stolen via the key in the house method.

On reflection he was glad they got the keys easily rather than be rifling through the house where wife and kids could be put in danger.

A different perspective?

Mike

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    I saw that and remember there was no issue regarding insurance payouts for any of the victims.

7. culpano

culpano Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
    Rule is you hide the keys when you are pottering about the house and keep them in an easily accessible place when you go to bed. My mate was held at knifepoint on his stairs for the keys to his Focus ST3. Very silly that he hid them. They kicked his door down and he lives on a busy main road.

No way would I ever have my car keys hidden when I've gone to bed.

8. OP
    OP
    A-AvantGarde

Car:
    Hmmmmm, I hide my keys (or rather keep them safe) but is that the safest thing to do?

9. ibrar

ibrar Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    55 plate LWB Sprinter and soon to be C220 AMG Sport Plus
    Leave them on the inside door handle, it shall really test the robbers :)

10. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Keys to all our cars go in the safe at night along with other things that you would not want to lose passports etc, they also live in there when we are away on holiday, the small safes are now so cheap and easy to bolt to the floor it's not worth the risk

11. OP
    OP
    A-AvantGarde

Car:
    Been meaning to get a safe for a little while, will need to start researching these too now!

Need one slightly bigger than the type we've seen in the high street stores, think Costco had some...

12. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    IMHO if your car is stolen and you have done all that can be deemed reasonable then you are covered by your insurance.
    If you leave your keys in the ignition then that is not deemed taking reasonable care and therefore no coverage. Usually done at a petrol station etc.
    Thinking aloud -- is it taking reasonable care leaving keys on display on a table by the front door with a letterbox nearby? A grey area but as said before it would be up to the insurance company to prove negligence.

If you are attacked then give over the keys - that is a theft and is covered - and there is no sense in risking any personal injury for a piece of replaceable metal.

13. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I would think that you would be covered if you take " all reasonable precautions" to prevent the theft of your car keys. These would include not keeping them in plain sight or where they would be accessible to a third party--e.g. in an unlocked hallway or not taking steps to prevent your car being stolen in the the event of losing your keys. Situations where your keys were obtained by forced entry, theft or by threats/acts of violence would undoubtedly be covered.
    edit:- crockers got there before me.

14. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    It's not a grey area which is why insurance companies pay out. The keys can only be retrieved by someone who has skills and tools to retrieve them, therefore it is a targetted theft as opposed to a casual drive away.