Car Storage Facilities?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Anyone use or know of any car storage facilities?

Just looking at the possibility of a little sideline business as we have some land here that would be ideal for this use. Just looking into the costs of start up, running costs and ongoing revenues to see if it could be a viable proposition. Would be located in Hertfordshire just outside London in between J23 & J24 of M25.

Came across a couple this neck of the woods and the costs they charge seem to make it look like a viable business. As an IT & Internet company we could really spruce the product/service up to give it a real high end tech feel with lots of tech bells and whistles.

I wonder what the insurance costs would be? Plus security arrangements.

I wonder what the insurance costs would be? Plus security arrangements.

I should imagine the insurances will be one of the major running costs. I have quite a few contacts in the industry but imagine it will be ludicrously expensive!

Security will be easy enough to deal with as I live very close to the land ;)

Cars in storage should be insured by the owners.

Typical storage costs are about £120 pcm...inc VAT.

I should imagine we would need some insurance in place while it is on our premises I guess. Lots of research needed! Looking at it those costs of about £100+vat pm for basic secure storage seems pretty standard and most seem around this point.

Cars in storage should be insured by the owners.

Typical storage costs are about £120 pcm...inc VAT.

Not necessarily..

"Firstly, from June 2011, a car has to be continuously insured unless it is stored off the road and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) made"

Not necessarily..

"Firstly, from June 2011, a car has to be continuously insured unless it is stored off the road and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) made"

Peter, I wasn't quoting the law, but was quoting what car storage people require.

I should imagine we would need some insurance in place while it is on our premises I guess. Lots of research needed! Looking at it those costs of about £100+vat pm for basic secure storage seems pretty standard and most seem around this point.

A car can't be insured twice...so if it is insured by the owner for storage it will not need additional insurance.

Peter, I wasn't quoting the law, but was quoting what car storage people require.

One would need to inform the insurer the car is in storage, probably a much reduced premium?

That said the Storage facility owner would also require insurance, the cost surely would depend on the value of the vehicles stored? Insurance companies love to pass the buck and I can well imagine how the vehicle insurer would argue the facilities operator was at fault (fire prevention, theft prevention.. etc..)

A car can't be insured twice...so if it is insured by the owner for storage it will not need additional insurance.

Pretty sure it can be insured as many times as one likes but only one policy will pay out.

Yep it's illegal to insure another persons property. I guess you will be looking at a big public liability policy

Yes, I think more around Public Liability and insurances similar to what any garage would have if they were working on people's cars. I would imagine bodyshops service centres/workshops all have insurances needed but should imagine they insure the whole car. Or maybe just for the period it is there. In my case that would be most of the time!

I will speak to a few and get some pointers/prices.

Thanks good thinking. I already have a motor trade policy with Tradex so will speak to them first.

Would there need to be arrangements around fire regulation?

None of the places I have looked at so far seem to offer it or have much in the way of high end or high tech anything. More often just a barn or building that is dry and clean. There are a couple of high end facilities but mega bucks for mega high end classics.

Check out Caravan/Motor Home Storage Facilities

There are loads of caravan storage facilities around, most I guess also cater for motor homes, might be worth checking out how they operate, services provided, charges.

Theres also a caravan storage site owners association Google CaSSA.

Just a thought.

When I had a classic car a few years ago I stored it with this company Car Storage UK, Classic, Long Term, Secure, Safe, De Humidified, South East | Tigastor was about £100 a month if I recall. They washed the car before I collected it to use it and also kept it on charge.

Their place was a lot of land around their beautiful house near Aylesbury.

From what I remember, cars in their care were covered by their full motor trade insurance, but they recommended that owners had their cars covered for fire, theft and accidental damage.

Very nice people to deal with too.

Best of luck with your venture!

When I had a classic car a few years ago I stored it with this company Car Storage UK, Classic, Long Term, Secure, Safe, De Humidified, South East | Tigastor was about £100 a month if I recall. They washed the car before I collected it to use it and also kept it on charge.

Their place was a lot of land around their beautiful house near Aylesbury.

From what I remember, cars in their care were covered by their full motor trade insurance, but they recommended that owners had their cars covered for fire, theft and accidental damage.

Very nice people to deal with too.

Best of luck with your venture!

Thanks very much for the info....very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom