Car Storage - My Experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
I mentioned in a thread about oil the other day how I was planning to put my car into a dedicated car storage facility.

Well the car went off to the place yesterday afternoon so thought I'd share my experience with anyone who's interested. This is costing me about £130 a month in total, which is their middle options including a heated lock up.

As my car is SORN, I requested they pick the car up and transport to the facility.

0ZWjwaZ.jpg

I followed them down to the lock up, just as well as this place is completely hidden away.

vcJ8883.jpg

They pumped up the tyres in preparation of it not moving for a while. Despite having cleaned and covered the car on Thursday (plus covered transportation), I wiped down each panel with this, essentially a much slicker quick detailing spray. It was good but not sure I'd use it on a properly dirty car but for this was ideal.

XBk0ofJ.jpg

Once I was happy with how the car was, the guys rolled the car back to the spot they had for me. I was quite pleased as it was right in the back corner next to a non-runner (old Mustang). The guys were also exceptionally careful which didn't go unnoticed.

puqeS5x.jpg

Purely as a dust cover, I fitted a brand new cover over the car. It's a bit overkill being a Storm Force cover but I had it already and the material as breathable to will allow condensation out. Not that there would be any in side.

OtQuFtu.jpg

Was a really enjoyable experience, some really interesting cars in there. Speaking with the guys, they have non-runners and cars from £1k to £250k so a real mixed bag. They also offer the choice of if you want the car started and moved regularly at an additional cost.

zjaX60G.jpg

I know it's not for everyone but thought I'd share that. I'm quite content knowing the CLS is locked up safe, tucked away and under CCTV. There's also people that live at the site as this was a converted farm so the area is never abandoned as such.

9yqHLUP.jpg

Out of interest for those of us who haven't read the "oil" thread, why have you put it away?

I need the space. I have four cars plus my other half’s CLS. I can access the car any time I want with a bit of notice.

Just haven’t had much time for it of late so thought it was best in a place like this than sat covered up outside.

Very interesting. Out of interest where roughly is this located? I appreciate you won’t say exactly but which county / nearest big town?

Very interesting. Out of interest where roughly is this located? I appreciate you won’t say exactly but which county / nearest big town?

Even with the post code it’s still tricky haha

It’s about 15 minutes drive from Caterham in Surrey. :)

There’s a few of these places around. Friend of mine uses somewhere in Horsham for his car.

Was a lovely car that (the Alfa). Nice to see it in good hands hidden away in the dry.
I didn’t see what was lurking in other lock ups but I suspect plenty more classics.

They store 100 cars when completely full.

I am a bit surprised they let you take photos. No a very security conscious decision in my opinion.

I know what you’re saying but the place is surrounded by people who live. It’s also tucked away to the point that if someone pointed to where it was you’d still struggle to find it.

Seems a fair monthly price for the car , i looked at storing my bikes for three years at a local facility and they wanted £90 pm.

I have decided to used the monies it would have spent on storage to extend the garage and keep the bikes at home.

K

Reactions: 219
Was a lovely car that (the Alfa). Nice to see it in good hands hidden away in the dry.
I didn’t see what was lurking in other lock ups but I suspect plenty more classics.

They store 100 cars when completely full.

I know what you’re saying but the place is surrounded by people who live. It’s also tucked away to the point that if someone pointed to where it was you’d still struggle to find it.
Not my point.

Scenario : Bad guys genuinely pay to store a car there for a few months, take photos like you did (maybe showing a few more number plates) using a smart phone which can pin point exactly where this place is. retrieve 'their' car and sell the information to the highest bidder.

Might never happen here as most of the cars seen are interesting but not high end , maybe thats why the security is not top end.
If I had a valuable car in storage and found a photo of it on an open forum I would immediately move it somewhere more secure and give the storage company a piece of my mind.

Not my point.

Scenario : Bad guys genuinely pay to store a car there for a few months, take photos like you did (maybe showing a few more number plates) using a smart phone which can pin point exactly where this place is. retrieve 'their' car and sell the information to the highest bidder.

Might never happen here as most of the cars seen are interesting but not high end , maybe thats why the security is not top end.
If I had a valuable car in storage and found a photo of it on an open forum I would immediately move it somewhere more secure and give the storage company a piece of my mind.

I can see your point but then I suspect it’s easier to steal off driveways and from peoples houses. Rather than find a lock up, pay for it, find the location then sell that location to people who’ll then traipse down a mile long country lane, break in, manoeuvre the vehicles one at a time to steal them. It could happen but the reality is most of those cars are blocked in and the keys off site.

By me taking s photo which doesn’t have any metadata those are just photos of a car somewhere in the UK. Same as taking a photo at a show or passing in the street. I do see your point and maybe a judgment call on their part as I emailed from my work account which shows a respectable job title and a relatively large city firm so they had a bit of background on me by default.

Last edited:
I mentioned in a thread about oil the other day how I was planning to put my car into a dedicated car storage facility.

Well the car went off to the place yesterday afternoon so thought I'd share my experience with anyone who's interested. This is costing me about £130 a month in total, which is their middle options including a heated lock up.

As my car is SORN, I requested they pick the car up and transport to the facility.

0ZWjwaZ.jpg

I followed them down to the lock up, just as well as this place is completely hidden away.

vcJ8883.jpg

They pumped up the tyres in preparation of it not moving for a while. Despite having cleaned and covered the car on Thursday (plus covered transportation), I wiped down each panel with this, essentially a much slicker quick detailing spray. It was good but not sure I'd use it on a properly dirty car but for this was ideal.

XBk0ofJ.jpg

Once I was happy with how the car was, the guys rolled the car back to the spot they had for me. I was quite pleased as it was right in the back corner next to a non-runner (old Mustang). The guys were also exceptionally careful which didn't go unnoticed.

puqeS5x.jpg

Purely as a dust cover, I fitted a brand new cover over the car. It's a bit overkill being a Storm Force cover but I had it already and the material as breathable to will allow condensation out. Not that there would be any in side.

OtQuFtu.jpg

Was a really enjoyable experience, some really interesting cars in there. Speaking with the guys, they have non-runners and cars from £1k to £250k so a real mixed bag. They also offer the choice of if you want the car started and moved regularly at an additional cost.

zjaX60G.jpg

I know it's not for everyone but thought I'd share that. I'm quite content knowing the CLS is locked up safe, tucked away and under CCTV. There's also people that live at the site as this was a converted farm so the area is never abandoned as such.

9yqHLUP.jpg
Your number plate contains 'the mark of the beast' ...... I hope it hasn't proved unlucky for you .

There's a few places between Gatwick and Caterham, I looked them up some time ago. What put me off, is need to notify the company 24h before coming to take the car out and also some limited opening times. I agree, they shouldn't let anyone take photos there. These are the policies of most car storage places.

Ok I'll own up, I checked for Metadata after you posted the picture.

Genuine question. Did you find any?

Your number plate contains 'the mark of the beast' ...... I hope it hasn't proved unlucky for you .

So far so good haha Roxie is my daughters name and I have a 666 plate with reference to my own name on another car. Bit nerdy really haha

There's a few places between Gatwick and Caterham, I looked them up some time ago. What put me off, is need to notify the company 24h before coming to take the car out and also some limited opening times. I agree, they shouldn't let anyone take photos there. These are the policies of most car storage places.

Yeah I’m not sure if all places are the same. Not so much of an issue for me as I wanted the long term storage option. I suppose if you know you’ll be wanting the car on a given weekend you could just email but I know what you mean.

In terms of the photos maybe they didn’t notice although I wasn’t hiding it.

I have used one of these services in south east Essex when I also still had my TVR and needed to keep one car away from the house. I found the service provider to be excellent and he would start my car and drive it around the large concrete grounds his business was based on until up to temperature on the first dry day every month. The car was kept in a very dry, well ventilated building on a trickle charger and swapping cars over was never an issue with 48 hours notice, albeit some days he was closed but he would notify clients of these particular days the month before by his regular email.

I’m in a position where I may buy a Caterham at some point in the future and wouldn’t hesitate to go back to the same provider as for £110 a month it is a complete no brainier.

Interesting timing - just looking for a storage facility for my Elise over the winter since it’s not really a winter (track tyres etc..) car. Not too far from Caterham for me (J9 M25) so I may PM you OP. One question - did you notify your insurance that you would be storing away from home? Also wife wants the garage space back for her SLC over the winter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom