Car suddenly requesting B service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
My C Class Coupe has been showing that a B service is due in around 6500 miles. That's roughly around a year away for me.

I got in it today and the on screen computer suddenly flashed up when I turned the car on stating it needs a B service in 30 days. Obviously there is quite a big difference from 6500 miles/1 year to 30 days.

Anyone know why the dramatic change or what could be the reason?

It had a B service in July 2010 with 32,000 on the clock, an A service in October 2011 with 36000 miles on the clock and it now has 39000 miles.

The last service in October 2011 is showing that there was a repair order no 63609. Any projections on when the service should be due?

My C Class Coupe has been showing that a B service is due in around 6500 miles. That's roughly around a year away for me.

I got in it today and the on screen computer suddenly flashed up when I turned the car on stating it needs a B service in 30 days. Obviously there is quite a big difference from 6500 miles/1 year to 30 days.

Anyone know why the dramatic change or what could be the reason?

It had a B service in July 2010 with 32,000 on the clock, an A service in October 2011 with 36000 miles on the clock and it now has 39000 miles.

The last service in October 2011 is showing that there was a repair order no 63609. Any projections on when the service should be due?
Somethings not right-was the service indicater re-set on the last service as the car can go as much as 17 months+ before the service due in 30 days message appears?

Quite normal (not to mention annoying)

The system works either on miles or months - first to be reached triggers the message - in your case, you haven't done the miles, but it has decided service due based on months since last time.

Something is definetly up I think. Like I said, only last night it was showing the B service was due in 6500 miles and I'm guessing that is about right from the October 2011 service although there has only been around 3500 miles since that service in 2011.

The car has a full service history completed at Mercedes Peterborough so it may be worth calling them up and verifying it's last service and when the next one should be due.

Quite normal (not to mention annoying)

The system works either on miles or months - first to be reached triggers the message - in your case, you haven't done the miles, but it has decided service due based on months since last time.

Thanks. Is it necessary to get the service done now based on the time or would it make more sense to go by the miles? It's only done around 4000 miles since the last service in October 2011 so not sure if a B service is needed?

Thanks. Is it necessary to get the service done now based on the time or would it make more sense to go by the miles? It's only done around 4000 miles since the last service in October 2011 so not sure if a B service is needed?

Is the last service was an A then the next one will be a B.

Your mileage is low - is that a lot of short journeys?

The only reason you *have* to get a car serviced when called for is to maintain the warranty. If there isn't one on your car then I daresay you could just reset the service indicator if you wanted to, and then get it serviced when you felt appropriate - who would know?

It is a bit of a grey area as i had around 5,500 miles showing on my cls when i presented it for a service as 12 months had elapsed-the service manager told me to bring the car back when the 30 day message appeared or the miles left we're around 500,i took it back when showing 500 miles as the 30 day message hadn't appeared,there was then 21 months between the services but only 14990 miles!(service book says annualy/15,500 whichever comes first!)

....there was then 21 months between the services but only 14990 miles!(service book says annualy/15,500 whichever comes first!)

I think we've discussed this before - it's dodgy to ignore the manufacturer stated fixed interval, but a bit weird that your car was still programmed for variable servicing.

I think we've discussed this before - it's dodgy to ignore the manufacturer stated fixed interval, but a bit weird that your car was still programmed for variable servicing.
Indeed we have Rory,as my car is out of warranty & unless the 30 day message appears i will continue to get my car serviced when around 500 miles remain on the obd.

Thanks.

Car has been very well looked after by the previous owner and the MB site states " Services are normally due between 9,000 and 18,500 miles or between 12 to 24 months, depending on driving style."

So I'm 4000 miles since the last service and 14 months since the October 2011 A service so I reckon the next (B) service can and should be completed around July/August at the earliest.

Thanks.

Car has been very well looked after by the previous owner and the MB site states " Services are normally due between 9,000 and 18,500 miles or between 12 to 24 months, depending on driving style."

So I'm 4000 miles since the last service and 14 months since the October 2011 A service so I reckon the next (B) service can and should be completed around July/August at the earliest.
If you search the forum(s)there is a how to reset the service indicater yourself-you can then get the service done in july when it would have covered less than the 18,500 max between services?

How old is the car? The earlier ones - up to 2004 ish will go up to 2 yrs if low mileage. Our CLK is like this but the SLK from 2005 comes up every 15months even though it may only have done 3-4000 miles in that time. Unless you have/want to keep the Mobilo cover then I dont see any problem letting it go a bit longer.

Thanks for all your help. The summer is a better time for me to get the B service done. If I reset the service indicator then won't it show that the next service due is an A service? Will this upset the service pattern so to speak or after the B service in the summer, I can ask the garage to make sure that the next service is showing to be an A service?

Just don't want to get into a constant cycle that when the indicator is showing a B service it needs an A and vice versa.

How old is the car? The earlier ones - up to 2004 ish will go up to 2 yrs if low mileage. Our CLK is like this but the SLK from 2005 comes up every 15months even though it may only have done 3-4000 miles in that time. Unless you have/want to keep the Mobilo cover then I dont see any problem letting it go a bit longer.

Mine is the 2002 C200 Sport Coupe.

Thanks for all your help. The summer is a better time for me to get the B service done. If I reset the service indicator then won't it show that the next service due is an A service? Will this upset the service pattern so to speak or after the B service in the summer, I can ask the garage to make sure that the next service is showing to be an A service?

Just don't want to get into a constant cycle that when the indicator is showing a B service it needs an A and vice versa.
As long as you request what service you want(B then A alternating),during your ownership they're shouldn't be a problem.

Remember Mobilo cover (if you have it) won't be free of charge if you call out.

If I reset the service indicator then won't it show that the next service due is an A service? Will this upset the service pattern so to speak or after the B service in the summer, I can ask the garage to make sure that the next service is showing to be an A service?

When I first got my car I was doing a lot of miles per month and at 16K miles it was showing a couple of K miles to service, an A. I booked it in for an A but just before it went in it flipped over to a B.

I played around with the service menu, looking at the oil quality settings, and accidently reset it, and it went back to an A. However resetting it again it still stayed on A. The dealer cheerfully did an A service (which is what I wanted, I assumed I'd quickly rack up the miles again to a B) and when I got it back the display indicated the next service would be a B, so they obviously have some way of 'forcing' the display, I guess through Star.

On a 52 plate c220 Cdi when I drove 18k miles annually I only ever had B services.... I used to dream of an A service ... It would read A initially and then just flip as the miles mounted... It was a motorway runner ... Not sure i believe it is always an A follows by a b filled by A etc stands up to scrutiny ... I did question mine when it had 3 b's in a row though.... Topping up the oil can also extend the time to the next service I found...

On a 52 plate c220 Cdi when I drove 18k miles annually I only ever had B services.... I used to dream of an A service ... It would read A initially and then just flip as the miles mounted... It was a motorway runner ... Not sure i believe it is always an A follows by a b filled by A etc stands up to scrutiny ... I did question mine when it had 3 b's in a row though.... Topping up the oil can also extend the time to the next service I found...

I think topping up with oil is what prompts the surprise flip from A to B service.

It extends the miles to go value, which enables you to cover more miles between services, but then if you exceed a threshold then it flips. It happened to me several times on our ML at about 1000 miles to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom