car swap dilema - W210 vs "something older".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allias

Car
00' W210 Est 320CDI
Car swap dilemma

At this moment in time I drive V reg W210 320CDI and I have to say – LOVE IT ALL THE WAY. This vehicle has 140k on the clock and overall condition is 9 of 10. Its a rust bucket (as usual) as front wing needs changing and tailgate got typical rust. A lot rust points where fixed about 1.5 year ago. I get about 34mpg on average. Over 40 while on motorway its not a problem. All electrics work just fine, but.....
I m in a little bit of financial problem and I probably can afford to keep it but I consider swapping on older model. You might as why?
Insurance for my current car is £1700 a year. If I would swap for 190 or 124 I could drop it to £600-700 a year. My car is worth 2000-2500 if Im lucky to get max for it and decent oldie will cost me 1000-1500 but I don’t know what I will be buying. It might happens, I will end-up with problem car and I will spend more then I can save. In mine I know most possible problems and future spending.
Is it worth look at 190, 123 or 124 in price range for 1000-1500? What problems or issues those can create at that age and mileage? What to look for?

I might be able to get a nice 190 for you.
A friend passed away just before xmas and he had a reddy maroon 190 manual, in A1 condition. He'd had it from nearly new. (Think it is on a K reg)
I'll ask his step son what he's doing with it on Monday when I see him.

Your insurance premium does sound very high but I don't know your driving history. Have you shopped around on all the usual comparison sites for cheaper cover ?

A rusty 13 year-old W210 will be difficult to sell for anything above £2k. When you find a W201 that you like for £1000 - £1500 and spend a bit bringing it up to scratch (which is inevitable when buying a 20+ year-old car) then you probably won't have saved yourself any money at all.

I'd keep the car you know, and shop around for the insurance.

£1700 sounds like a lot to me?

You probably won't save a lot doing all this - a service, set of tyres, fixing one or two issues and you'll be back to square one financially but with an older car.

I'd keep the car you know, and shop around for the insurance.

£1700 sounds like a lot to me?

You probably won't save a lot doing all this - a service, set of tyres, fixing one or two issues and you'll be back to square one financially but with an older car.

Agreed. The apparent initial savings (especially after selling costs) could be wiped out very quickly with a couple of faults to fix and additional fuel costs.

Who I should look for classic insurance?

All those valid points and that is the reason I im still with my 320CDI. I love it and I know if I sell it I will be regreting it for long. I wonder if I could do my W210 as classic insurance. After all its 13 years old and I do below 10k per year - maybe even less.

Why is your insurance so much. Today I've insured four cars, including business use, breakdown cover, no voluntary excess and a total of 40k p.a for £1150.

Shop around hard and you should be able to reduce your premium. Just ask for a cheaper quote, I always do. Got £200 off today.

Why is your insurance so much. Today I've insured four cars, including business use, breakdown cover, no voluntary excess and a total of 40k p.a for £1150.

Shop around hard and you should be able to reduce your premium. Just ask for a cheaper quote, I always do. Got £200 off today.

My problem is:
1. No fault claim for £700 as I was hit in less then 2 years.
2. LS10 s my post code what doesnt help.
3. 2 drivers - me 33 and my wife 29. - 4 years no claim.
4. 4.5 years within UK.

All that gets to about £1700 a year. I got another car - V reg Zafira for wife and that is about £650 a year. As you can see my insurance spendings are HUGE! Thats the lowest possible and no bells and whisles.

You've probably already shopped around for insurance, but if not its worth doing. I just looked on compare-the-market to get a quote for my wife. The cheapest was £460:), the dearest was £2100:eek:. That's one heck of a difference.

Insuring a car on a classic policy normally requires the vehicle to be your 'second' car i.e. you're the main named driver on the policy of another vehicle you own.There may be an agreed annual mileage limitation.Someone like Carol Nash insurance brokers would give you more info'. Should be very cheap!

I m lost for this W124 250D that my firends has.

Its K reg W124 250D OM602 engine with 145k miles fully serviced. All works fine but its a simple cloth interior. It doesnt have bells and whisles but engine and gearbox is 100% perfect condition as its been always looked after to smallest detail.

Body is in tact but it has few rusty points on front wings, one spot near sunroof (which works just fine) and few small on doors. Nothing major. New battery and 4 tyres. 15 inch steel wheels with hub caps. Runs just like a proper 250D.

What is it worth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom