Car tax evasion triples after paper version scrapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fudger

Car
Awaiting delivery
See here folks...Car tax evasion triples after disc scrapped

I think many of us were skeptical about the change of process on the basis that it would be open to abuse and that enforcement would not be adequate. 'I told you so' comes to mind!

It seems to me that it was simply another of those 80:20 decisions. As long as the majority subscribe, through electronic means, we can live with a few that will take advantage of the situation, and not pay.

It is a bit like income tax really, as long as there is PAYE, which captures revenue from the majority, it is ok to let some, who are less than 'morally' honest, to get away with it.

Rant over :)

We knew zis.

My gut feel - reinforced by the statistics that many of the "untaxed cars" have recently changed hands - is that a good proportion of the "evasion" is anything but: it's caused by people not realising that the tax doesn't transfer to the new owner when a car is sold. The first they know of it is when the DVLA send them a snotty letter demanding money.

Frankly, the whole scheme had "fail" written on it from the start.

I wonder if anyone who reads or writes on this thread would be at all surprised by this! :rolleyes:

Fuel is already massively taxed, and what about EV cars?

Good point! I'd forgotten about them! :wallbash:

I just think it's a stupid tax which doesn't differentiate between a 1,000 mile a year driver and a 100,000 mile a year driver.
It's simply a tax on owning a car, and the "envy tax" brought in on cars costing over £40,000 really was spiteful.

As Phil mentions above, the new system does create a lot of confusion amongst many drivers.

Not surprised. It was a dumb idea and even a dumber idea to tax the car and the owner/driver.

So who is being held to account for dreaming up and implementing a scheme that allegedly cost us all £107m last year alone ?

Nobody of course.

So who is being held to account for dreaming up and implementing a scheme that allegedly cost us all £107m last year alone ?

Nobody of course.

Spot on! Everybody in the country, apart those involved in the new process, told them that the decision was stupid and would cost £m's but they decided to do it anyway. When I am told I have a stupid idea (frequent occurrence :) ), it normally means it is. FFS, it was hardly rocket science, was it!

I think that there's more to this than meets the eye.

The tax take must also be down due to the number if ultra low or even zero tax rates.

If the system is designed correctly, that would be offset by the VED increases for vehicles with high Co2 emissions.

The Government isn't going to implement a system that sees the tax take fall even if everyone pays up.

I'm sure they won't have deducted the actual cost of the tax disc, postage and post office staff.
It's probably not a lot but it will put a dent in the deficit.

I thought the paper system was rubbish. Well rid of it.

If the evasion figures are higher then it's probably down to poor enforcement - not the lack of poxy circular bits of paper - or a change in the system and the way the figures are generated.

The best bit about the old round disc was that anybody could spot a car with no tax. Nothing like a bit of advertising to get you noticed.

I thought the paper system was rubbish. Well rid of it.

If the evasion figures are higher then it's probably down to poor enforcement - not the lack of poxy circular bits of paper - or a change in the system and the way the figures are generated.

I don' think anyone anyone would disagree that the new system is better and more efficient than the old except when it comes to collection. The issue is enforcement and everyone knew it would be, that is the point I originally made. There does not seem much point in putting in place a new system that costs £100m+.

It was a stupid idea.

Taxing fuel (instead of the vehicle) is the only way of having a 'fair' system, and getting all the revenue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom