Car Tax proposal buried in the budget.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Probably be linked to insurance, so no road tax = no insurance = ban;)

The article conveniently misses from its comparison the luxury car surcharge for vehicles with RRP over £40k...

No great surprise there. Osborne's “envy tax” where a higher VED rate is payable for years 2 through 5 if the new list price exceeds £40k always had no logic whatsoever.

The bit that gets conveniently missed when there’s a discussion of linking VED to CO2 emissions is that fuel taxes provide that link already. Higher CO2 output = lower mpg = pay more per mile. Likewise, those who cover the greatest distance pay the most.

If you have to pay £2135 a year for road tax, you would def be better off not buying road tax and accept the fine for not having it IF caught!

I think at present the fine is in addition to any back tax due, although I do laugh at the 'Police Car Chase' programmes where a yoof gets done for no insurance, which would cost a couple of grand, and is fine sixty quid. Now those odds are worth taking if you're of that mentality.

'Consultation' is just a warning of what 'they' are aiming at. The final outcome 'may' be a diluted outcome.
If I read that correctly the Viano I am considering becomes a ridiculous annual cost, jumping skywards from £555 (bad enough to cause me to consider the justification) and keep exactly the same engine Vito that is £140 p.a., and as N1 registered is less likely to see me punished.

Thanks for the heads up.

I can see this rational that this makes the high priced EV's more attractive.

This is aimed at the people that are not currently paying the £500+ a year. Seems fair enough to me.

The system is a bit of a mess at the moment. Cars registered before April 2006 are taxed at one of two flat rates, based on engine capacity alone; cars registered from April 2006 to April 2017 are taxed at rates based on their emissions; cars registered thereafter, at a flat rate after the first year. It is difficult to conceive of a sillier system...

I am still seething as am lazy at opening the mail and so the wife ends up undertaking ...........,,,,wife exclaimed "the white bike costs £91 to tax !" and after a short while ................"doesn't your xxxxxx cost £550 and the ML also £550".

The irony is that all 3 of the above vehicles added together do less than half the miles of my commuter-car which costs less than £190/pa.

The RFL system is a total and utter mess.

I am still seething as am lazy at opening the mail and so the wife ends up undertaking ...........,,,,wife exclaimed "the white bike costs £91 to tax !" and after a short while ................"doesn't your xxxxxx cost £550 and the ML also £550".

The irony is that all 3 of the above vehicles added together do less than half the miles of my commuter-car which costs less than £190/pa.

The RFL system is a total and utter mess.
Agree it should be the big polluters by % of road use that should be hit hardest. In London that would be taxis, buses and cyclists ([emoji23][emoji1787]), on the M8 in the early morning lorrys and commuters.

If you have to pay £2135 a year for road tax, you would def be better off not buying road tax and accept the fine for not having it IF caught!
Really? So break the law instead of doing the right thing?

I doubt they would get away with that double rinse, but none the less the local MP will be getting an earful.

My car was subject to the £2135 showroom tax, and I bought 12 months VED when got it at 6 months old for the princely sum of £465 for the year, which bears no resemblance to the chart shown in that news article. I think the C350 was £555 the last time as well....

RFL isn't fit for purpose and I'm certainly not subsidising electric car drivers. Charge tax at the pumps and the charging point, as if we are going electric they are going to have to start charging them at some point anyway, might as well attempt to get it right from the outset.

Road Tax is a joke, bit like the TV Tax nonsense. Government already takes a huge %-age of the levy on price of each litre but it would seem the simplest and fairest solution, plus you can hardly avoid paying it! Just extend it to include EV charging points too so that all fuels are covered.

VED Is partly about command and control, allowing a cross check on V5 details (you need the VED code on the reminder letter), MoT and Insurance.

Do you know how many people DVLA in SWANSEA employs....

Buy I agree a flat rate for all vehicles, with greater duty on fuel is a more equitable solution

The system is a bit of a mess at the moment. Cars registered before April 2006 are taxed at one of two flat rates, based on engine capacity alone; cars registered from April 2006 to April 2017 are taxed at rates based on their emissions; cars registered thereafter, at a flat rate after the first year. It is difficult to conceive of a sillier system...

Not entirely true.
Early is above or below 1550cc but there's a window there between that and 2006 where tax is emissions based but capped at band K.

Road Tax is a joke, bit like the TV Tax nonsense. Government already takes a huge %-age of the levy on price of each litre but it would seem the simplest and fairest solution, plus you can hardly avoid paying it! Just extend it to include EV charging points too so that all fuels are covered.

I’ve always wondered why they don’t to this. I’m guessing the look at how many people would lose their jobs and how much is put into the economy by dealing with it the current way. I think loads of things could be streamlined this way but aren’t for the same reason. Government/councils waste so much money it’s unreal.

No way could they back date it as it would hammer the value of cars already bought and they'd get sued for the difference surely. I can understand for new cars although again shame as performance cars other than EV would die a death.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

If you can afford a £100k plus car you can afford to pay more VED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom